Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to get a Ravin R20 brand new for a really good deal. Overall it will be about $200 more than the R10. My question is, is there that big of a difference between the two? I have talked to a few people and have heard there really isn't any difference, and I have talked to a few that say the R20 is better. Curious what everyone's thoughts are that have experience with both?

Thanks

·
196 Posts
I haven’t owned a R10 but had a R20 last year and it was a great bow. I would spend the extra and get it since it’s still in the current lineup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I bought a R20 also and have not even seen a R10 in person. You will get around 30 fps more out of a R20 and past that I doubt that you will see a lot of difference.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Research the differences and land on what suits your needs. There really isn't a big difference in shooting any of the ravins, especially the ones with the same body. R10 and 20 have the classic longer body with a rifle-like feel. I don't own either, just shot them in a shop when I was deciding on mine.

I would look at maintenance as part of the price too. Maybe this is generous, but I'd be prepared to spend another 1k on the bow within the first year or two. Strings+cables are 100, then you need a press or a shop (unless you've got a buddy), also arrows aren't cheap and the broadheads you'll need to withstand the crazy power won't be either. My layered foam target was nothing for the power, so I needed to get a spyderweb. If you just go with a bag be prepared to replace it often. Cases are optional, but not if you want to travel. Scope upgrade and other attachments (bigbird1 3d prints some nice stuff, handle relocator, trigger shoe) are also optional but performance is performance and upgrades are upgrades. Add it all up, and you realize the price tag is only part of the deal.

If that extra $200 is going to help you maintain and improve the bow then without a question get the 10. If your budget will allow for either to be well taken care of then I'd personally go with the 20. If the ATA and draw are the same on both (which I think they are but not 100%) then the additional fps means stronger limbs, which can translate to longer life.

Looks like quite a lot of this was off, glad you got the experienced folk to talk >.<

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also consider posting this in the ravin forums, lots of great folk with much more experience than I have.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Have owned and shot R9, R20 and R29.
Have held R10.
R10 Is shorter than R20 and is less nose heavy.

Speed.
Speed with crossbow comes with prices.
More cable, string a d limb wear.
Speed/power could help a person shoot longer distances easier a d yield more ouch down range. So hunting bigger game R20 could have advantage.
For 20-50 yards R10 will do fine for hunting.
Get out to 60-70 yards R20 better choice.

Limbs on R10 are justice like R20. So R10 limbs not pulled back as much and should last a long long time.

Person wanting to shoot loads, R10 better choice.

Imo R10 is best value bow for the money Ravin has made thus far.
Take your extra money and buy you a press if you go R10 route.
Tree stand hunting for whitetail R9 and R10 both very good choices.

R10 is a crossbow if one take some care of will last longer than the current model crossbows imo. Shot for shot. Odds wise.

R10 will be easier on scopes ca R20.
Easier on target.
Easier on bolts.
Easier on fletching.

About all I can say.

I do like Ravin crossbows
But if an owner doesn’t have a press they will likely never know how good the bows can shoot.

Cheers.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The R10 is 1.5" shorter and a little lighter than a R20. As mentioned, the R20 is 30 fps faster (considerable). I have a R10 and like it a lot. I also have a R29, but haven't shot it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts