Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up in an area I had a camera on seeing lots of does coming into acorns starting to fall. At 7:35 AM I had 2 very large does come in and each had 2 small fawns with them so I gave them both a free pass. At 8:15 AM I saw a medium size doe heading my way and then another about the same size coming up behind her so I figured I was looking at two 1 1/2 YO does without fawns. That turned out to be the case and the larger one started feeding on a few dropped acorns direct down wind of me and behind me. I eased up and got turned around in my climbers and shot her free hand at 18 yards. She ran almost 50 yards and took a dirt nap. I had her gutted out, dragged, loaded and in the cooler by 10 AM. :)
Only pic I got as I was hunting alone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats on your doe

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Good deal tenderloins for dinner at Roberts house. I'm going to try taking one out as it steps out of a corn field eating. That way I know for sure it's a corn fed deer.lol

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's a nice freezer deer ! I hope to have one in a couple weeks when season opens here.....

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I usually take a doe right off the bat and then start looking for a big buck for the rest of the year. We have way too many does and very few people that will shoot more than 1 if they take one at all.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Good deal tenderloins for dinner at Roberts house. I'm going to try taking one out as it steps out of a corn field eating. That way I know for sure it's a corn fed deer.lol
Can't beat the taste of a free range farm raised deer. Those woods, acorn, stick eating deer taste like an acorn. LOL.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I must like acorns then cause none of my deer know what a farm is.
LOL. That could be.

There really is a noticable difference in taste. At least to me there is. I think a woods deer has a more wild / gamey taste to it than a deer that lives around farms and feeds on the farmers crops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts