Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the r500 definitely looks easily tunable. A few good cell phone pictures before you replace cables etc and that should be it. Looks real easy but you would want a press.
I was studying it in Bass pro. Time will tell.

I would love to have one but will prob gravitate to the r505 becuse of how much i like the vapor 470

Reactions: Rit and Iron Duke

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I’m giving the the R 500 plenty of time & won’t make a decision until next spring or so. For hunting the crank would be great, range work the E Option for target shooting and verifying hunting arrows. For now my R 29 backed up by the R 15 works fine String/cable longevity and minimizing any lateral nick movement are the items I’m paying particular attention to.

·
13,181 Posts
😂 Oh, the irony of "coming soon".

And might be the first time I've ever seen someone put out a teaser.....for a review.
LOL ... Yeah, he's turning Hollywood on us. :p ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I had a friend's R500 at my house for a couple weeks, while designing a taller cheek rest for it to go along with an Oracle X scope. And I must say, the engineering in the R500 is finally something I'm impressed with out of Ravin. Especially the cocking design and new front rest. I've never been a big fan of their legacy designs of the clutch being build into the crank handle, and the sliding latch not resting against a solid stop after cocking (but to their credit it does work quite well). And also never been a fan of their legacy "roller" front rest. But the ball bearing front rest and worm gear driven cocking mechanism on the R500 are both very nice. Even though it's a very heavy bow, I could see some of the designs working their way into other (slower) models.

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Siege X 2
1,902 Posts
Any word of what’s happening regarding the detailed testing and evaluation on the R 500 from The Field Archer on this Thread??
Ive never seen him take this long for a review once the preview was posted. Issues with the bow would be my guess. but that’s just a guess. Or he’s just going with the Ravin theme and coming soon could mean next spring. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Has anyone bought one of these since the initial release about a 1 1/2 ago, other than some that bought it then and returned them for exchange or refunds?

Not a peep since or any reviews, apparently........

·
13,181 Posts
Has anyone bought one of these since the initial release about a 1 1/2 ago, other than some that bought it then and returned them for exchange or refunds?

Not a peep since or any reviews, apparently........
Actually ... there are too many peeps about anything around here anymore. The top monthly post guys used to be in the high 300's, even 400 posts in a month. Assuming that it's an indication of membership interest and participation down the line you'd think it showed a vibrant forum. Now with the new post censorship implemented by "whoever" started, "whoever" has managed to drive it down to the point where the top 3 posters are lucky to break 100. Quite possibly those R500 buyers just ain't coming around. The place is looking a lot more CrossbowTalk-ish these days...lol :cry::sleep:

Reactions: Jack Pine

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Duke, great observations!! I still frequent the site regularly but it seems like many of the old guard that always interacted and had great insight aren’t here as much anymore, plus not seeing as many new members on the forum.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ive never seen him take this long for a review once the preview was posted. Issues with the bow would be my guess. but that’s just a guess. Or he’s just going with the Ravin theme and coming soon could mean next spring. ;)
Actually it was the dang weather! It has been a combo of March wind and April rain here in NJ for weeks and weeks, finally started looking good a week ago!

If the weather went on like this any longer, my next teaser was going to be- "Coming next season" lol

Oh, and the other thing, I have a real job, not retired and I don't get paid a penny from the hunting industry.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Actually ... there are too many peeps about anything around here anymore. The top monthly post guys used to be in the high 300's, even 400 posts in a month. Assuming that it's an indication of membership interest and participation down the line you'd think it showed a vibrant forum. Now with the new post censorship implemented by "whoever" started, "whoever" has managed to drive it down to the point where the top 3 posters are lucky to break 100. Quite possibly those R500 buyers just ain't coming around. The place is looking a lot more CrossbowTalk-ish these days...lol :cry::sleep:
Duke , I usually agree with you.. but regarding the new censorship. I haven't seen it. just my observation.

·
Premium Member
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
505 Posts
Actually it was the dang weather! It has been a combo of March wind and April rain here in NJ for weeks and weeks, finally started looking good a week ago!

If the weather went on like this any longer, my next teaser was going to be- "Coming next season" lol

Oh, and the other thing, I have a real job, not retired and I don't get paid a penny from the hunting industry.
Ok, my big question is "How are the supplied bolts/nocks holding up"? This has been the major issue I think, based on what I've been reading on here from those who have purchased one. Also, I can't remember if you tested the Nitro 505 yet- how would YOU rate the two against each other? I would trust your opinion over many others out there. The major thing that has kept me away from purchasing the Nitro 505 is the dry-fire system used. Ravin doesn't allow the trigger to even be pulled if an arrow is notched on the string well, but it certainly does sound like the 505 does. That is a deal breaker for me- there have been times where I thought I had my Ravin bolt nocked on the string, but I didn't and had to push it in further.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ok, my big question is "How are the supplied bolts/nocks holding up"? This has been the major issue I think, based on what I've been reading on here from those who have purchased one. Also, I can't remember if you tested the Nitro 505 yet- how would YOU rate the two against each other? I would trust your opinion over many others out there. The major thing that has kept me away from purchasing the Nitro 505 is the dry-fire system used. Ravin doesn't allow the trigger to even be pulled if an arrow is notched on the string well, but it certainly does sound like the 505 does. That is a deal breaker for me- there have been times where I thought I had my Ravin bolt nocked on the string, but I didn't and had to push it in further.
If there was an issue with the arrows and serving I would have mentioned it.
I have seen people on video shooting the R500 and the targets being used were probably rated for 350 FPS!!! And that person munching vanes comes on a forum and blames the arrow for bad flight? Those people chime in on things they no nothing about also so take it with a grain of salt!

And with crossbows, all of the reviews I have done, I had only 1 crossbow with issues, it had string and cable issues and then limb issues, I thought I was doing a review and it turned out I had a prototype and was a guinea pig testing. They were going to send me a new bow, mine to keep and it was over $1K, I said no thanks! I will not knowingly release a review on product I would not trust or hunt with.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts