Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends. For big game hunting (here in Argentina we have 300 pounds wild boars and red deers) which one of these xbows should I prefer? I want to shoot near 500 grs 22" arrows.
Opinions on these 2 crossbows?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Nitro.

22s are fine but with a broadhead they will have a lot of over-hang. Replace the factory arrow inserts with 110 gn and shoot 125 or 150 gn broadheads and you will easily be over 500 gn.

In enjoy hog hunting as well.

This is a 545 gn Easton FMJ at 20 yards and doing 440 fps (Nitro XRT).
(19" shaft-260gn, nock-25gn, vanes-10gn, insert-120 gn, broadhead-125gn)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I can tell you as of now I sure wouldnt buy into the Ravin. Been there and wouldnt recommend it until all the arrow issues are resolved, center serving issues are resolved and they actually have a press for it being sold. Timing and nocking points and rest adjustments are very critical on the R500 and without a press your up chits creek.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
How many respondents other then WWB own or have shot the specific crossbow their recommending above.
Just being objective from reading about the Ravin R500 problems.
What a nightmare!
Tenpoint's 500+ fps offering was solid from the start.'
Having owned a Tenpoint Vapor RS470 and now a Tenpoint Havoc 440, it's a no brainer for me.
Did own an Ravin R26 and loved it but the Tenpoint ACUSlide Crank/Decock beats the Ravin Crank in my opinion.
I was waiting on an R500E but gave up after of Ravin's promises fell through, then reading about all of the owner's many issues, I'm glad i cancelled our order.
Shame on Ravin for knowingly releasing garbage to the public.
Left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Archer36,
With all due respect, it's Not about Need. If it was, most would still be shooting a simple Excal recurve.
It's rather All about Want. It's no different than anything else in life. Most of us don't need a big house or even a big pickup but many still own both.

News Flash - Americans are Spoiled and have been for a very long time. We also don't Need a RV or a Boat but guess what. A lot of Americans still own one or both of these as well. Another example - you obviously chose to book a hunting trip to Africa. You didn't Need to do this but you Wanted to do it probably because it was on your bucket list.
As a result, crossbow manufacturers are no different than auto, RV. or boat manufacturers. They will be glad to try to satisfy our Wants and Not our Needs.

The way I see it, it's the bowhunter's money so what's wrong with them spending it the way they want. It's a lot better than spending it on something that just consumes more fuel which hurts us all in the long term.
Just my 2 cents and don't want to offend you or anyone else.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Archer36,
With all due respect, it's Not about Need. If it was, most would still be shooting a simple Excal recurve.
It's rather All about Want. It's no different than anything else in life. Most of us don't need a big house or even a big pickup but many still own both.

News Flash - Americans are Spoiled and have been for a very long time. We also don't Need a RV or a Boat but guess what. A lot of Americans still own one or both of these as well. Another example - you obviously chose to book a hunting trip to Africa. You didn't Need to do this but you Wanted to do it probably because it was on your bucket list.
As a result, crossbow manufacturers are no different than auto, RV. or boat manufacturers. They will be glad to try to satisfy our Wants and Not our Needs.

The way I see it, it's the bowhunter's money so what's wrong with them spending it the way they want. It's a lot better than spending it on something that just consumes more fuel which hurts us all in the long term.
Just my 2 cents and don't want to offend you or anyone else.
Some people think it's about need. Not all.
I'm thinking about the poor folks that get convinced that they "need" something they really don't or can't afford. As far as the rest. Spend your money.
Yes, Americans are spoiled.
Finally, you can't kill an Eland in North America. (y)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, I thought we were talking about some guy from Argentina wanting advice on the Nitro 505 versus R500?

How did that become Americans are spoiled & own large RVs & boats they don't need?

I don't own either of these crossbows. There are two many awesome choices in that $1,000-2,000 price range for me to spend more than that on a crossbow. Plus, I don't want to be labeled a spoiled American! :)

I sense Ravin owners are loyal to the brand for the most part, & the R500 has the potential to be a great crossbow. Nitro 505 owners seem happier coming out of the gate with their new crossbows. If I was given the option of picking any crossbow on the market for free, I wouldn't pick either one! :)

Thus, I am useless here & I will stop talking now!!!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts