Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that i've sent about 50 arrows through my WR RDX400 i'm quickly realizing the very high level of precision that these current bows offer. I've been shooting 600 yd rifle precision for about 10 years so i'm acclimating to a precison crossbow very quickly. My gun club has bag targets from 20 out to a max of 60 yds and honestly i'm getting bored already at 60 yds. I'm shooting about 4" groups and i've only just started. My question is for thos of you with experience what is a realistic and challenging max distance for target bows with velocities from 380 to 400 fps ? Is 200 yds realiatic ?

·
1,132 Posts
So now that i've sent about 50 arrows through my WR RDX400 i'm quickly realizing the very high level of precision that these current bows offer. I've been shooting 600 yd rifle precision for about 10 years so i'm acclimating to a precison crossbow very quickly. My gun club has bag targets from 20 out to a max of 60 yds and honestly i'm getting bored already at 60 yds. I'm shooting about 4" groups and i've only just started. My question is for thos of you with experience what is a realistic and challenging max distance for target bows with velocities from 380 to 400 fps ? Is 200 yds realiatic ?
During tournament season I practice freehand at 80 daily, and at times out to 100.
So I would say 200 is very doable especially off a rest. It would really all come down t on what you decide is an acceptable size group.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
During tournament season I practice freehand at 80 daily, and at times out to 100.
So I would say 200 is very doable especially off a rest. It would really all come down t on what you decide is an acceptable size group.
Thanks for the feedback, and just to clarify at 60 yds my 3" groups were shot benchrest off a rest so obviously I observed excellent consistiency. I do very much enjoy offhand but I'm not ready for offhand beyond 40 yds at this time. The reason i'm asking for distance feedback is i'm actually thinking about petitioning my gun club's BOD committee and ask permission to shoot my crossbow at our rifle range we have a "Utility range " (25 / 50 /100 yds) and we have a separate 200 meter range. Both would suit a bow but i'm not sure about rifles and bows being shot both at a range potentially at the same time. Not sure if this would present any safety or logistical issues.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have shot bullseyes to 115 yards for thrill of doing it.
Also I wanted to determine distance of the top of the bottom post for my Hawke scope which is 115 yards. Distances to 100 yards are shown but not top of bottom post.
Now I could say I need to determine the distance for the bottom of the same post. I estimate it to be int 150 yard range.
One of the challenges of using crossbow scopes is the power isn't for distance as much it's to tune the scope to the speed of the crossbow.
I set my Hawke XB30 1.5-6X at 5.3X. That does ok for me to 100 yards. Many fellow members struggle with the low power of crossbow scopes. Hawke makes a variable speed scope similar to mine that has 8X capability. I am thinking I need that one.

Many fellow members went to Jack plates so the can use high powered rifle scopes for long distance shoot with sharp target images.
This group was shoot at 100 yards
last winter late to check my stuff after a few months.
I could have pulled the flyer to the right because I was very pleased with 1st three shots but that happens the wind came up.

Outerwear Vertebrate Leaf Plant Sleeve

Reactions: Flipping Bird

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I wanted to determine distance of the top of the bottom post for my Hawke scope which is 115 yards. Distances to 100 yards are shown but not top of bottom post.
Now I could say I need to determine the distance for the bottom of the same post. I estimate it to be int 150 yard range.
One of the challenges of using crossbow scopes is the power isn't for distance as much it's to tune the scope to the speed of the crossbow.
I set my Hawke XB30 1.5-6X at 5.3X. That does ok for me to 100 yards. Many fellow members struggle with the low power of crossbow scopes. Hawke makes a variable speed scope similar to mine that has 8X capability. I am thinking I need that one.

Many fellow members went to Jack plates so the can use high powered rifle scopes for long distance shoot with sharp target images.

View attachment 208864
Very nice grouping ! I am in research mode as far as swapping out the "ADC" "arrow drop compensator" type scope. I have quite a few rifle scopes that I think would be better suited to my 100+ yds target shooting. I have a US Optics 3-12x in MILLS which I think will be quicker to dial in my come-ups. Next task is to run my aluminum and carbon bolts through my Alpha Crony and get some real FPS data. I'm really getting immersed into crossbow precision ! Fun and very interesting stuff !

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Sounds good! Glad you are interested in depth.
One thing about my Hawke and Ripper setup. To dail the scope in the instructions are clear. It's not important to know the exact fps. Approximate will get it done.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I could have pulled the flyer to the right because I was very pleased with 1st three shots but that happens the wind came up.

View attachment 208864
Nice shooting. Next time, aim a bit higher and put one of those cheeseburgers in the background in the freezer.😈

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing about my Hawke and Ripper setup. To dail the scope in the instructions are clear. It's not important to know the exact fps. Approximate will get it done.
I'm interested in learning how close (or not) the online calculator arrow trajectory drop charts actually are. I do all my own precision ammo reloading and I've learned that while published data is close , it's not an exact science and many times you need to "tweak" the data to suit your specific situation.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
While there will be some variations they will provide good data to start.
Some ballistics calculators are more user friendly allowing one to input more variables than others. That could be part of it. For example the bullet drop data on ammo boxes doesn't list attitude and temperature possibly.
I use a calculator that allows me to tune the data to my expectations. I use shooterscalculator.com.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Allow me to explain by saying "approximate will get it done".
Once I set the initial fps during site in process the fps speed ring will be adjusted later to bring the scope to correct settings. The fps may or may not match actual because the speed ring may vary from actual. If I wanted to know I would go down the street and shoot thru chronograph to know. From experience the required fps setting may not match the chronograph fps.

Reactions: Road_Clam

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good info, thanks ! is windage "spin drift" an occurance that needs to be factored when shooting longer 100+ yd distances ?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Yes! For archery wind is factor even at 40 yards.
For crossbow shooting I try days when wind is low but also my regular range is located in a wind protected spot. Sort of like no wind tunnel in a draw.
Here is my chart.

Rotorcraft Tripod Helicopter rotor Plant Tree

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern

Reactions: fly

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow that's a really nice sled setup ! right now my home made precision rifle rest won't work with the forend on my RDX400. I need to fabricate a different saddle. Thanks for posting the wind data too !

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
wow that's a really nice sled setup ! right now my home made precision rifle rest won't work with the forend on my RDX400. I need to fabricate a different saddle. Thanks for posting the wind data too !
Thanks
I put lots of work into perfecting the bench to fit my needs and be portable.
I update/edited the chart after I noticed it was outdated.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks
I put lots of work into perfecting the bench to fit my needs and be portable.
I update/edited the chart after I noticed it was outdated.
So as I begin my "reach to 100" what's your recomendation for arrows have you had better sucess (consistiency) with aluminums or carbons ?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
So as I begin my "reach to 100" what's your recomendation for arrows have you had better sucess (consistiency) with aluminums or carbons ?
Yes I was provided a tip by another forum member on a special buy for a dozen arrows of the bay. The price was great. I bought a dozen Victory XBOLTS branded under the former Gander Mountain. Specs were very good for weight, spine alignment, and quality.
Once I received them checked specs and found them good. Then I shot all 12 to check group at 40 yards. They were within 1.5". I knew these were the best I ever owned. That convinced me to buy 3 more dozen ar the price shipped for about 43 bucks each.
I'm still shooting 11 of the 1st dozen. I tuned them by indexing the nock 180 degrees by hand. Easy to do.
That's my big arrow improvement that got me to shooting long range. Believe me I struggled before that. I built the bench and mounted the sled so I could minimize variation to determine what was going on with everything. It worked.
I suggest you read a few threads as several archers here have tried several and shared their opinion. Xbolts suite me. Oh tuning the xcross makes a big difference on long range accuracy.

Here is my video of 100 yard bullseye. I was so excited when I found I had the capability I decided to do a first time selfie to share it. Else people would doubt me

Good luck!

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
1,756 Posts
those victory xbolts seems to affordable at EU too, thank you

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I was provided a tip by another forum member on a special buy for a dozen arrows of the bay. The price was great. I bought a dozen Victory XBOLTS branded under the former Gander Mountain. Specs were very good for weight, spine alignment, and quality.
Once I received them checked specs and found them good. Then I shot all 12 to check group at 40 yards. They were within 1.5". I knew these were the best I ever owned. That convinced me to buy 3 more dozen ar the price shipped for about 43 bucks each.
I'm still shooting 11 of the 1st dozen. I tuned them by indexing the nock 180 degrees by hand. Easy to do.
That's my big arrow improvement that got me to shooting long range. Believe me I struggled before that. I built the bench and mounted the sled so I could minimize variation to determine what was going on with everything. It worked.
I suggest you read a few threads as several archers here have tried several and shared their opinion. Xbolts suite me. Oh tuning the xcross makes a big difference on long range accuracy.

Here is my video of 100 yard bullseye. I was so excited when I found I had the capability I decided to do a first time selfie to share it. Else people would doubt me

Good luck!

Are you running a 20 MOA scope rail ? After playing a bit with your ballistics based upon my 435 gr My Easton XX75 aluminums will be dropping about 59 MOA @100 yds , and i'm pretty sure my rifle scope can't handle that much elevation come-up even with a 20 MOA rail ?

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
1,756 Posts
Are you running a 20 MOA scope rail ? After playing a bit with your ballistics based upon my 435 gr My Easton XX75 aluminums will be dropping about 59 MOA @100 yds , and i'm pretty sure my rifle scope can't handle that much elevation come-up even with a 20 MOA rail ?
i just got confused of those moa´s, i looked drop height in cm and inch instead, my scope gives roughly 3meters of mildots into 100meters with 3.7power, at 5 power its about ~2meters (78.7inch) of total mildots

i could be totally wrong on those as im new to this

i used duck tape to tape 30cm gap into 100meters and scoped it a while to try and figure how to use this

so if you need 80inches of drop and have even 10mildots on scope, use 8 inches target at 100yards and set power on your scope to match 1gap between dots, then zero it to 2nd highest dot and you should be on bottom pole(ish) at 82inches or 100yards, this was my reasoning :)

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just got confused of those moa´s, i looked drop height in cm and inch instead, my scope gives roughly 3meters of mildots into 100meters with 3.7power, at 5 power its about ~2meters (78.7inch) of total mildots

i could be totally wrong on those as im new to this

i used duck tape to tape 30cm gap into 100meters and scoped it a while to try and figure how to use this

so if you need 80inches of drop and have even 10mildots on scope, use 8 inches target at 100yards and set power on your scope to match 1gap between dots, then zero it to 2nd highest dot and you should be on bottom pole at 82inches or 100yards, this was my reasoning :)
fly , my 59 moa would simply equal about 59" drop at 100 yds . if you prefer MILLs that would equal about 17.11 mills

1 - 20 of 37 Posts