Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,831 Posts
Hey! Whatever floats your boat and is legal......have at it! It's all about having fun anyways IMO.:)

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is now a crossbow flavor of P&Y called Bolt and Quarrel. I don't know much about them and have no relationship with them, but link below if anyone wants a peek.

Home | Bolt & Quarrel

• Haha
Reactions: Brubaker

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bolt and Quarrel,,,Looks like more of the same...promoting BIG Bone,,with CrossBows...Hey it's OK if that's your thing...Problem is,,,as has been brought up many times...This- " The only thing about deer hunting is getting that bragging Rack " In my opinion now dominates deer hunting...We can say whatever we want,,like."Ya can't Eat the Antlers", but we All have been influenced by the".Only Thing That Matters is the RACK." This has made much $$$ for media,,,Cable Shows,,Seminars,,,experts..Seems it's always about the money...Even I,,who really just wants meat for my family,,,has come under the spell....I saw a buck this morning...I'd say a hefty 2 yr old,,or maybe 3 yrs...thought went through my mind to shoot..Then the saying snuck in,,"If you let him grow,,he may get past the neighbors and get older and bigger",,Even though with me doing this in the past,,I have never seen a change in what I see...I passed on 3 maybe 4-- 3 yr old bucks last season..They should be 4 yrs this year..Haven't seen a one of them..With enough land and let em grow neighbors,,,yep,,it may make a difference....Rambling on now,,but just to say..The Antler craze has affected us all..

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,831 Posts
If a buck makes it to 3 & 1/2 years old around me then it's a shooter. I like horns too but that isnt the determining factor on whether I shoot or not. I'm a meat eater so it's the weight of the deer that flips my safety off. And I can only shoot 2 bucks so I can afford to pass on a 2 year old deer and still feel pretty confident that I will fill my tags.

Many years ago that wasnt the case. People were proud to just be able to kill a buck. There was a 1-buck limit and people was so anxious to kill a deer that if a 4 pointer came along it was shot and hung on the meat pole to show it off. I hunted back during those times and honestly believe that hunters enjoyed the season much more back then than they do today. Atleast where and with whom I hunted with it was that way.

·
Registered
Barnett Assault 350
100 Posts
I guess I'm too young at 45 to remember the days of hunters not wanting a big bodied big antlered deer as both a bunch of meals and a trophy for their wall. Living in WV in my lifetime there has always been an overabundance of deer. Our state is 98% forest. Our bucks are not the giants of the midwest but decent sized deer. I guess I am lucky to live in a state where you can kill up to 8 deer legally with all the extra tags and fill your freezer and selectively pick which animals you go after. Between my old lady and I we have taken 3 this year and right now I'm hunting antlers I guess letting all the young bucks go. Planning on harvesting at least one more doe before the season is over if I dont have a wallhanger cross my path.. Those big old bucks that get to be 5 years old or older don't get that old because they are easy to kill they are the smartest of the herd and worthy of being someone's trophy imo. Is that so crazy I dont think so. I dont look down on hunters that indiscriminately shoot whatever crosses their paths some don't have the time to hunt or the herd isn't what I have to each their own.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep. Growing up if we saw a deer—any deer—we shot it. Asked questions about it's size or gender later :ROFLMAO: . Different times, but that doesn't really matter. What does matter is that it was completely different circumstances for us. We just didn't have the opportunities to be picky at all. The land we were able to hunt we would see maybe 2 or 3 deer within range in an entire season, and had a very limited number of days to hunt.

These days I'm fortunate enough to have lots of opportunities concerning both land and time to hunt. Also much more knowledgeable about how to find deer. I'm thankful for that, and always keep in mind that others may not have all the opportunity that I now have.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 355 Suppressor
576 Posts
Glad on this site,,,Everyone is proud and supportive of everyone's deer...Bringing down a large animal with a little arrow IS an accomplishment worthy of Praise!
Absolutely!!! If a man or woman or any kid takes the time to sight in their bow, practice with it. Then get up and go sit in the stand, freeze, sweat or get rained on or whatever, who are we to judge what size is a Trophy to them?
You're killing your game with a stick that has a sharp thing on the end of it. You ain't ordering from Mickey D's!!!

Be proud of your accomplishments!!

·
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AJo1 I like that,,well said...I moved to Iowa from N Mich Public land hunting,,,where 80 % of all,,and I mean All bucks are taken out of the herd by the 4th day of rifle season...That's what the DNR told me...Tough hunting up there...I moved to IOWA,,Land of the Giants! Or so most believe....I have done quite well on my little piece of Iowa,,,but not all of Iowa is equal...I found that out..I saw crops and timber,,crops and timber...I thot deer would be evenly distributed,,They are not...By mid rut most all the deer on my land vanished.this season..Possibly because the farmer across the road with hundreds of acres of beans,,, told me he dropped alot to the ground..Soon as it got cold my deer left...I need one more for the freezer..So far 56 hours sitting..I have seen 14 deer ...Yep..14..Not too good for Iowa...Last year was much better..Maybe 20...I have done OK though and I try to let the young get older...I do take does...Meat for me and my wife is number one concern...

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve always judge deer by there size, if they have a gut they’re in trouble. If they have a rack then it’s bonus time. I’m just filling the fridge. I do let the little ones go but if someone else takes em home I’m fine with it. Just thankful to have the chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts