Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly hunt my own property locally, except when traveling to mid west for big boys. At end of sit, in dark, I always had to shoot an arrow into a target that I kept at my property, which wasn't a big deal but for some reason, I didn't like doing it. The last couple nights while in my blind, I passed up easy shots at yearling deer, which in my past, would be dead as they eat really well. Since I watched these youngsters grow up this summer, as they frequented my clover plots daily, I just can't kill them. I have plenty of tags and deer, so won't be an issue. I really like that I can easily de-cock my XR in my blind before walking back to the truck. It's so simple.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
244 Posts
Question, and sorry for straying but i'm new to Mission Sub 1 and when you "decock" the safety stays in the "S" position, is it ok to subsequently re-cock and load another arrow ? Reason I ask this is my RDX400 (non-decocking model) , if somehow the safety ends up in the "S" position and you cock the string you will damage the trigger and string pawl assembly. You actually need to do a manual "reset" of the trigger sear and get the safety back into the "F" position before cocking the string.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the safety does stay in the S position and you don't need to reset. When hunting, I decoct after if no shot fired, then recheck the next day before hunting again. Did this for 15 days straight last couple weeks.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
244 Posts
Yes, the safety does stay in the S position and you don't need to reset. When hunting, I decoct after if no shot fired, then recheck the next day before hunting again. Did this for 15 days straight last couple weeks.
Awesome thank you for clarifying. I'm in a new learning curve with the Mission and I have not yet taken a shot, I was practicing RSD cocking and de-cocking (have not taken any actually shots yet) and I did not want to unknowingly break something within the safety.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thank you for clarifying. I'm in a new learning curve with the Mission and I have not yet taken a shot, I was practicing RSD cocking and de-cocking (have not taken any actually shots yet) and I did not want to unknowingly break something within the safety.
I wouldn't use the RSD to decock, while it is possible, it can be dangerous if the handle slips out of your hand, it will free wheel and could cause damage to you and/or bow.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,832 Posts
SWEEEET!!!!!!!!

I woiuldnt own a crossbow I couldnt decock without shooting.;):)

Reactions: Regohio

·
Registered
688 Posts
The biggest drawback with the RSD is nowhere to store the string hooks after the bow is cocked. U can take it off pretty easy/quick but I would rather not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The biggest drawback with the RSD is nowhere to store the string hooks after the bow is cocked. U can take it off pretty easy/quick but I would rather not.
Tryinhardarcher posted a while back where to store the hooks I’ll have to search for it but it made sense.

There‘s a cut in the rail in this general area that I put mine into then tighten the cord with the rsd release Fits ok

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't use the RSD to decock, while it is possible, it can be dangerous if the handle slips out of your hand, it will free wheel and could cause damage to you and/or bow.
I can vouch for that. Used the RSD to deco for a while, then just this past October at deer camp, twice I let the handle slip while I had the release tab pushed. First time I let go of the tab and it snapped the pin on the RSD handle, luckily had a backup handle. 2nd time a couple of days later, got distracted, handle slipped out of my hand again, and this time the handle whacked my index finger knuckle several times before I could stop pushing the release. Dang it hurt.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
244 Posts
I can vouch for that. Used the RSD to deco for a while, then just this past October at deer camp, twice I let the handle slip while I had the release tab pushed. First time I let go of the tab and it snapped the pin on the RSD handle, luckily had a backup handle. 2nd time a couple of days later, got distracted, handle slipped out of my hand again, and this time the handle whacked my index finger knuckle several times before I could stop pushing the release. Dang it hurt.
OUCH !! I learned this real quick that you need to really be focused while attempting a RSD decock. You need to foot the bottom, hold the upper buttstock while simultaneously pressing the release lever and finally VERY carefully forcefully resist unwind the handle. Too much dangerous complications going on with the RSD, I'm just going to use the rope from now on. I target shoot only so almost never need to perform a decock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OUCH !! I learned this real quick that you need to really be focused while attempting a RSD decock. You need to foot the bottom, hold the upper buttstock while simultaneously pressing the release lever and finally VERY carefully forcefully resist unwind the handle. Too much dangerous complications going on with the RSD, I'm just just use the rope from now on. I target shoot only so almost never need to perform a decock.
Yea it was weird. I had decocked several times with no issues, just slowly let it down. This time though someone was driving up and I turned to look and wham. I don’t recommend getting distracted at all lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hooks rattle like crazy in that position. But, that is where I store mine. However, I wrap the string aroung the open end of the hooks to secure them. Still makes a little noise, but it's the best way I've found.

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
244 Posts
I stared at my chassis last night trying to think of a 3D printed hook retainer that could immobilize the rattly hooks but nothing is really coming to mind. The very smallish stock is a challenge. Also trying to think of a way to capture and store the crank handle within the stock , another challenge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts