Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Sub-1 Pro package. The Hawke XB-1 will never get mounted. Just not a fan.

What would you guys recommend? An Evo-X, a higher grade Hawke, a Vortex?

I’m all ears. Thanks for your opinion’s!

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
My last scope bought was a 10 Pt Rangermaster Pro illuminated scope from Wyverns for $129. I like the glass and it's not a complicated scope. IMO it's great for a hunting scope. I also have a Redfield revenge crossbow scope and a Nikon Bolt XR scope on my other crossbows and I like 'em all. You can spend alot more money for scopes but for my use out to 45 yards theyre good enough for me.;):)

Reactions: JCAT and TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Keep ‘em coming.

What does a Huskemaw cost and are there different “flavors” to consider? Or is there just one model?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just put the Vortex Crossfire ll on a bow a few weeks ago. Damn nice for $199!!!
I’ve looked through the Vortex. Nice glass. An improvement over the XB-1 for sure. Not crazy about the reticle. The writing is really small, but it might work for me.

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

·
Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Micro Mag 340
290 Posts
Not crazy about the reticle. The writing is really small,
I wasn't in love with the reticle either when I 1st saw it online . In person & after looking through it, I was VERY happy & impressed with the brightness and clarity/contrast, Illumination is excellent! Reticle grew on me quickly, I really like it a lot. Surprisingly with my crap eyesight, I can make out the numbers just fine. Although don't really need them, rather easy to count the increments-20,30,40,50,60yds etc. Never had numbers in other crossbow scopes & i did just fine lol.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Ki MV36 if you want a reasonably priced speed scope. I am really impressed with it for the price. Sig BDX scopes are a decent scope and a good entry into a smart scope but IMO can be a little glitchy...at least mine were. I replaced mine with Burris Oracle X scopes on my 2 main hunting bows.

·
1,214 Posts
Plant Machine gun Tree Air gun Trigger

Plant Machine gun Tree Air gun Trigger

I’ll be running the new Black Eagle crossbow scope combined with a HHA Tetra this season. The scope was specifically designed for crossbow hunting by one of the best in the game. It’s got a 30 mm tube and a 50 mm objective lenses, it should be the best of both worlds. If a quick shot is needed use the multiple reticles in the scope. If there is time dial the HHA to the exact distance and use the top crosshair.

Reactions: SavedWretch and THF

·
Registered
83 Posts
Huskemaw would be my first pick, Sig BDX close second.
I love the reticle, not sure about dialing in the range. Seems like one extra step when the adrenaline is taking over. I have been blessed with a lot of success but I don't think I have ever shot a deer beyond 30 yards. A lot of there's a buck, inside 20 yards, shoot now, aim low, darn he's through my lane. Have to have spilt second target acquisition . Will the Huskemaw let me do that ?

·
Registered
Mission MXB-360
29 Posts
Just my 2 cents FWIW... Nothing wrong with the Hawke XB1. I've had one on my MXB-360 and it's been bulletproof. It's been hunted with a lot, banged around being hoisted up and down to my climber, dropped out of my climber (unfortunate incident with my hoist rope clip coming unclipped), and it's held zero very well. I'm good with it's light gathering capabilities at hunting ranges, and the illuminated reticles are spectacular (assuming I remember to turn them off at the end of the hunt and don't drain my battery, but I digress.) The speed dial is accurate at the ranges I shoot at (40 yards and in.) Honestly, I couldn't ask for more. To the OP, what don't you like about this scope?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s guys. Keep ‘em coming.

What does a Huskemaw cost and are there different “flavors” to consider? Or is there just one model?
Huskemaw lists for $399, but you can get one at Eders for considerably less if you join; that's where I got mine. It is the Crossfield model and xbow specific. If you have time to range a deer, then you have time to move turret which takes half a second. I recently mounted it on my Sub-1 XR. The optics are outstanding. Last year, I rarely had to move turret as all deer were 30 or less.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just my 2 cents FWIW... Nothing wrong with the Hawke XB1. I've had one on my MXB-360 and it's been bulletproof. It's been hunted with a lot, banged around being hoisted up and down to my climber, dropped out of my climber (unfortunate incident with my hoist rope clip coming unclipped), and it's held zero very well. I'm good with it's light gathering capabilities at hunting ranges, and the illuminated reticles are spectacular (assuming I remember to turn them off at the end of the hunt and don't drain my battery, but I digress.) The speed dial is accurate at the ranges I shoot at (40 yards and in.) Honestly, I couldn't ask for more. To the OP, what don't you like about this scope?
I have no issues from a durability standpoint. The big issue is the glass. It's just not as bright and clear as I would like it. And, in low light it falls down quick. It's not accurate at long distances. At least mine isn't. Out past 60 yards, the graduations are not correct. Pretty close, but not close enough for me. I do like the reticle overall though. Easy to see.

·
Registered
Mission MXB-360
29 Posts
Interesting. I haven't had a Vortex crossbow scope, but I've been impressed with the quality of their scopes in general at their price point and have them on all of my hunting rifles and my AR's. Out of curiosity, have you tweaked your speed dial?

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
[QUOTE="longbow42, post: 1609276, member: 65757"]
Huskemaw lists for $399, but you can get one at Eders for considerably less if you join
; that's where I got mine. It is the Crossfield model and xbow specific. If you have time to range a deer, then you have time to move turret which takes half a second. I recently mounted it on my Sub-1 XR. The optics are outstanding. Last year, I rarely had to move turret as all deer were 30 or less.
[/QUOTE]
I think Eders has the KI MV36 for under $200.

·
Registered
819 Posts
[QUOTE="longbow42, post: 1609276, member: 65757"]
Huskemaw lists for $399, but you can get one at Eders for considerably less if you join
; that's where I got mine. It is the Crossfield model and xbow specific. If you have time to range a deer, then you have time to move turret which takes half a second. I recently mounted it on my Sub-1 XR. The optics are outstanding. Last year, I rarely had to move turret as all deer were 30 or less.
I think Eders has the KI MV36 for under $200.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I recently bought the MV 36 for $160 there, but sold it as I preferred my Huskemaw.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IOut of curiosity, have you tweaked your speed dial?
Yes, and followed Hawke's directions to a tee. I believe the issue with the XB-1 is pretty well known here on CBN.

Reactions: Wexford XBow Hunter
1 - 20 of 24 Posts