Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate lugging my large block target to hunt just as a discharge target. What is a good, relatively inexpensive but SMALL target for discharging at the end of the day? My XB is a TenPoint Stealth NXT, which is pretty fast, but I’d like to get something That’ll handle the fastest xb’s out there

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hate lugging my large block target to hunt just as a discharge target. What is a good, relatively inexpensive but SMALL target for discharging at the end of the day? My XB is a TenPoint Stealth NXT, which is pretty fast, but I’d like to get something That’ll handle the fastest xb’s out there
A morrell discharge bag target. Small, inexpensive and effective. I think it was $20 dollars.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A morrell discharge bag target. Small, inexpensive and effective. I think it was $20 dollars.
Rhinehart makes a small ball.

·
Registered
935 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. That thread on making one from scraps and a 5g bucket is pretty cool! Maybe a fun “when I’m bored” project.

·
11,432 Posts
I have a friend that blew his bow up twice resulting from shooting into the ground. Hitting a root or rock, resulting in arrow shaft damage and the arrow blowing up on the next shot causing a dry fire.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Shooting into the ground can work, as long as, you always check your arrow for damage to the shaft afterwards. And, there's no rocks! A crack in the shaft could lead to a catastrophic dry-fire on the next shot so be careful with this method.
I would not recommend shooting a arrow into the ground. to much potential for future mishaps, or worse, possible injury. I use and would also recommend the Morrell discharge bag. When I leave my stand I remove the arrow from the crossbow with the safety on, and walk back to my vehicle. Once there, I simply reload the arrow with a field point arrow and shoot into the target. Some may disagree with walking with a "unloaded" and cocked crossbow, however I shoot a Tenpoint with the actual safety, the forearm button safety, and the anti dry fire safety. Pretty much eliminates any accidental discharge of the crossbow. However, common sense still dictates using caution.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Shooting into the ground can work, as long as, you always check your arrow for damage to the shaft afterwards. And, there's no rocks! A crack in the shaft could lead to a catastrophic dry-fire on the next shot so be careful with this method.
I have a friend that blew his bow up twice resulting from shooting into the ground. Hitting a root or rock, resulting in arrow shaft damage and the arrow blowing up on the next shot causing a dry fire.
Thanks for the good safety reminder!

·
Registered
76 Posts
We used a delta Mackenzie orange discharge bag the past 2 weeks moose hunting
Stopped my stealth and 575g bolts fine

·
Registered
111 Posts
Years ago I purchased one of those specialty discharge arrows, and that thing lasted maybe 6 shots before it crapped out; tip broke and splintered. That was from shooting into the dirt not rocks. I wouldn't recommend those especially for a high speed crossbow. I have used a discharge target from Morell since and it has worked well with both my Scorpyd and Tenpoint crossbows shooting just under 400 fps.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yellow jacket discharge bag. They are cheap and will stop 400fps plus arrows.

·
9,022 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts