Crossbow Nation banner

Barnett blackcat or assault? Or centerpoint tyro?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I greatly enjoy all things bush craft and wilderness survival. After lots of research I’ve decided I want to purchase my first crossbow on a budget of roughly $200.

I know compounds are more powerful but I love the simplicity of recurves. I also know Excalibur are top of the line and I hope to one day own one.

Today I want to compare the Barnett blackcat which is 2020 model and the Barnett assault which is an older model. I want to be able to hunt with it in the future.

16FCAD6C-5562-4108-8927-C6963282EDFA.png

8EA24C96-2EB3-4802-AF1E-CE9204AAC075.png

As you can see the blackcat is newer and more powerful but I wonder if the quality is cheaper which sometimes companies tend to do to newer products.

Any thoughts on this?

I’m also considering the Centerpoint tyro as well, but also open to any other recommendations. I’ve been researching for a couple weeks and hear mostly of Barnett as a reputable brand and am ignorant of others. Forgive me.

Thanks and I hope to purchase one soon with all your help!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,101 Posts
Reactions: Mobbcat

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Personally, I would spend the extra $20 for 15 fps more, a newer model, more KE, a couple of arrows included, Soft-Lok™ floating bristle arrow retainer, 3 picatinny rails for future add-ons, etc., etc.
I can't see a company like Barnett getting too cheap on materials, well not too much anyway.
Oops, forgot about the CenterPoint, will check it out later before I vote.
OK, looks like the CenterPoint comes with a 4x32 scope, so that's not bad but Walmart is out of Stock and has a lot of ?? about the specs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Archery-TYRO-Recurve-Crossbow-245-FPS-Kit-with-4x32mm-Scope-AXRT175CK4X/55549125

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ ^ ^ This if you can find it.
I saw a recurve made by Carbon Express called Heritage that I would look at also, and if you don't mind the width, you might look at the Desert Hawk for a little more.
https://woodsarcheryrange.com/products/sas-desert-hawk-225lbs-next-g1-camo-recurve-crossbow-4x32-scope-package-330fps?_pos=2&_sid=96e1040c2&_ss=r
It is a bit wide but more power is better. I’m really open to all suggestions and I do believe it’s better to spend a little more on something really worth it, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses and I’m actually looking into the primal and heritage as suggested. I only asked of the 3 listed above because those were the most advertised on the web but I’m loving the recommendations! It’s unfortunate You cannot find info on older recurves unless searching for them by name specifically

1 - 11 of 11 Posts