Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Horton 3 dot scope on my new Explorer HD doesn't seem to work right. The 3 dots, even on the lowest brightness setting, all seem jumbled up. The model I shot in the store was very different in that the 3 dots were separated and provided a clear site picture. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Could it be your eyesight? Mine don't look very sharp with my glasses on but great without.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Oh and yes, is it on right? Strange as it may seem I ran into one (in a store) that was on BACKWARDS!!

·
512 Posts
I have the 3 dot on my Explorer and it works great, with or without my eyeglasses.

·
1,222 Posts
I have a simillar problem with "bright" dots. Turning down the intensity normally helps me. Though the sight that came with the Stryker...I have the same problem as you do with your Horton.

Just gotta try different sights / scopes to find what "you" like best.

Mike

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tanks for the advice guys. dont think it s my eyes. with or without glasses the dots merge. my crossbows in the shop getting dipped right now but i'ill check to see if it's on backwards when i get it back. i have a chance to pick up a parker red dot sight. are they good sights?

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Blue-darter said:
tanks for the advice guys. dont think it s my eyes. with or without glasses the dots merge. my crossbows in the shop getting dipped right now but i'ill check to see if it's on backwards when i get it back. i have a chance to pick up a parker red dot sight. are they good sights?
Well, you and I have the same problem with that. I love, love, love the single dot scope though. Helps me shoot after dark when hog hunting and shooting coons. Maybe try that one.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'm considering trading my Barnett 4 x32 scope for Koz's single red dot Parker sight. Maybe simplicity is the best route to take.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Blue-darter said:
Thanks! I'm considering trading my Barnett 4 x32 scope for Koz's single red dot Parker sight. Maybe simplicity is the best route to take.
Are you shooting a Horton bow? If so, you use the dial a range. I sight in at 25 yards while the dial is set on 2. Then, if the shot is 35 yards and I'm using one of the 175 lb pull bows, it should be really close to jumping 10 yards per # on the dial, so I dial up to 3. If the shot is 15 yards, I dial down to 1.
If you shoot a 165lb pull bow, then each number jumps @ 11 yards.
Set it up the same as a peep sight. Each bow may vary slightly, but once you mount it, you have to figure out what the yardage jumps per click. Example:
I'm set at 25 yards and my target is 30 yards. I simply raise my sight on the animals shoulder by 2 inches. No dialing. Why? Because my bow equals 4 inches per click, or per every ten yards. Did I make that clear or if you need more explanation, let me know. Most people set theirs up at 20 yards, 30 yards, etc. I do this @ 25 in case I forget to raise or lower and my shot is only 2 inches off then. I also place tape on the inside of the limb with my formula in case someone else shoots my bow. Also, with the bow set on 2, when I'm in the dark I don't have to look at the dial to know it's on two as the dial is totally horizontal on that setting.
175lb pull bows 165lb pull bows
1=15 yards 1=14 yards
2=25 yards 2=25 yards
3=35 yards 3=36 yards

·
Registered
31 Posts
So on the Horton Explorer XL, it came with one of the cheap one dot red dot sight. And I have NO idea how to change the battery....does anyone know?

·
310 Posts
AnthonyC. said:
So on the Horton Explorer XL, it came with one of the cheap one dot red dot sight. And I have NO idea how to change the battery....does anyone know?
AnthonyC,
Does the sight you have, have (2) small knobs on the sight, and (1) large knob?
If so, open the large knob to see the battery.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
AnthonyC. said:
Hey Mark, how do I get that one large knob open? Does it just pop off?
Screws off. Counter clockwise.

BTW, when your hunting using a scope that takes a battery, always carry a spare or two,
in your hunting bag in case you forget to turn it off, and the battery dies on you.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Blue-darter said:
GG,
thanks for the great instructions. Im shooting a Horton at 150 lb
With your 150, shoot a bulls eye a few times and make sure your on. Then,
move your dial to the next number for the scope. Shoot at the bullseye again.
Once more. How many inches did it change? That's how many inches jump you will have between numbers to calculate your bows formula.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GG,
Thanks for the lesson. A person could get spoiled with the treatment a body gets on this board. I ll let you know how the sighting in goes. Maybe I.'ll Robin Hood a few! Thanks again.

drew

·
512 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Screws off. Counter clockwise.

BTW, when your hunting using a scope that takes a battery, always carry a spare or two,
in your hunting bag in case you forget to turn it off, and the battery dies on you.
I hear what your saying about turning off the scope. I've left mine on twice so far. So like Anthony said, be SURE to carry extra batteries.

·
219 Posts
I have a three dot on my HD175 and a single dot on my Firehawk 200. As stated above, my single is sighted in at 30 yards. I compensate for distance and elevation. On another note, my first three dot on the HD had to be returned for the same reason as you stated. Go compare yours to another at the same time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts