Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The scope on my Barnett Assault 350 is not that great. I was thinking of upgrading to a red dot. I use my bow for target shooting and possibly deer hunting. Anybody have advise on this?

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I have both the reflex and tube type red dots - I really like the reflex types much better. I have 2 of the Vortex Venom reflex sights that have the auto brightness feature.

I’m only using one now on my turkey gun and when a Tom is closing in I’ll turn it on and it adjusts for the available light at the time so it’s not overwhelming.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Great for hunting and shots of <50 yards. For target, not so much unless the yardages stay within 50 - 60 yards. The MOA of the dot will cover most of the bullseye at longer distances. My experience is scopes for target shooting and either scopes or reddot for hunting.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
The scope on my Barnett Assault 350 is not that great. I was thinking of upgrading to a red dot. I use my bow for target shooting and possibly deer hunting. Anybody have advise on this?
I can highly recommend Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot. It won't break the bank. You can find in the $120-$130 range. Very high end. Has motion activation feature. Turns off/on if left idle or you move the Xbow. Cool feature!!!

The single red dot is small 2MOA and illuminates on the brightest days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
When you guys use a red dot, are you using a HHA or jackplate?
Single dot yes I have an HHA and it's a dynamic duo..

I have use truglo tri-dot sight with good success but you have to learn the hold overs for the three dots.

Good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've been using nothing but red dots on my crossbows for about 5-6 years now..first it was eotech 512 65 moa circle with a 2 moa dot..sighted in at 25 yards...and practiced hold over out to 30-35 yards.
Switched to Holosun red dots..same reticle pattern..same sight in process.. except I do have an HHA Tetra on my one bow...
Love my red dots...can't beat 'em for low light conditions..just dial the intensity down...if I can see the kill zone with my naked eye, I can kill it ;-)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been using nothing but red dots on my crossbows for about 5-6 years now..first it was eotech 512 65 moa circle with a 2 moa dot..sighted in at 25 yards...and practiced hold over out to 30-35 yards.
Switched to Holosun red dots..same reticle pattern..same sight in process.. except I do have an HHA Tetra on my one bow...
Love my red dots...can't beat 'em for low light conditions..just dial the intensity down...if I can see the kill zone with my naked eye, I can kill it ;-)
Curious why you switched from the Eotech?

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I saw a Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot at a gun store, it felt heavy to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Curious why you switched from the Eotech?

I switched due to weight...the Eotechs are seemingly bombproof, however the 512 models are a bit bulky and somewhat heavy.
Holosun offers me the reticle style I love-circle and dot- with a weight savings.
I've not had an issue with any of either manufacturer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I switched due to weight...the Eotechs are seemingly bombproof, however the 512 models are a bit bulky and somewhat heavy.
Holosun offers me the reticle style I love-circle and dot- with a weight savings.
I've not had an issue with any of either manufacturer.

Thanks! I picked up the Eotech over the spring and looking forward to hunting with it this week or sometime soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts