Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...here goes...
This question isn't ment to p!ss anyone @ff or or start a big usless debate.
For years I've wondered why people sight this way..!

This is mostly for anyone that shoots red dot sights...but may apply to the cross hairs of a Lumi-Zone type scope also.

When sighting in your red dot sight this includes rifle, hand gun AND crossbows.

Why is it, that it seems 99% of the people place the red dot "over"...or to "cover" the target ?

I hear people all the time..."the red dot is too big at XX yards".

While the red dot can get very large at long distances....it NEVER has to obliterate the target. Especially with a short range weapon like a crossbow.

If....the red dot is utilized like "iron sights" on a rifle or hand gun...that is...put the target on "top" of the red dot...the target is not hidden by any red dots!
back when I used to do a lot of shooting (mostly hand gun, some long gun) with an first generation Aim Point a friend gave me, then bought a couple others...I automatically just figured...that was the way they were supposed to be sighted in and used.
And that's the way I've always done it..."with"...great results.
No matter how large and fuzzy the red dot got..!
You learn to compensate for the dot size vs. target center. If I can learn it...I'd guess anyone can.

Mike

·
211 Posts
Mike said:
You learn to compensate for the dot size vs. target center. If I can learn it...I'd guess anyone can.

Mike
IMO you kind of gave the main reason right there... having to "learn to compensate" is just one more thing to get in the way and cause misjudgement, and IMO its a more inaccurate way of aiming...
a red dots main plus is its fast target acquisition... put the dot on target and shoot... having to remember and judge distance and holding point by having the aiming point different from the impact point takes away from that and can/does cause confusion/misjudgement and with it bad shots and misses, especially on a moving target...

I have red dot sights on my buck mark .22 pistol and also on my super redhawk, both are set up to be just as effecient for fast target acqusition/shooting on quick moving targets as they are for standing shots and both are sighted in with the dot/impact point being the same(as are all my sights), I also sight my open sights in so that the top of the front sight cover the impact point, IMO its just faster, less to judge/compansate for, and its just as accurate, if not more so

IMO theres no right or wrong way of doing it, just different ways, and whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should use

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
My main knock on red dots has always been the lack of precision. They do have the advantage of quick target acquisition. Burris now even makes one for shotguns, that attaches between the stock and receiver, for flying objects.
Some of the problem has been the size of the dot; anything over 3mm will tend to cover the target at ranges over say 50 yards. However, red dots are in constant state of development. I just purchased an inexpensive Barska reflex sight for my 22 handgun that has 4 reticles: a small dot, bigger dot, dot and circle and an illuminated crosshair. It works fine. But the thing that puts me off most re red dots is having to rely on a battery for sighting. Have had the experience of turning the dial to ON only get NOTHING.There are those that operate on ambient light but they are big and/or expensive. I'm a worst case kind of guy, so I'll be shooting scopes until a reliable (affordable) solution to the no-dot problem comes along.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Where a person places the "dot" in a sighting device is pretty much based on how they were taught to shoot. For me, I was taught to place the front sight of my handgun below where I wanted to hit, never covering the target with the sight. Didn't take long for that to become second nature to me. I sight that way no mattr if I'm shooting a hand gun, rifle or CB, RedDot open sights or scopes, no matter what crosshair/dot/post configuration.
It's what works for you,based on how you've been trained.

I also think that it depends on what type of shooting youo have done for most of your life. Paper punchers tend to sight a bit differently that peope who hunt 4 legged critters. :party:

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I have absolutely no use for a multiple dot scope, as it's too much, but I LOVE the single dot red dot scope. It IS the very best for night shooting. I can night hunt with the multi-lined scope, but it's not very easy. It takes more time to ready for the shot having to find the cross hairs. That is probably only possible becuase I started off using a single dot scope first to train myself.
I am no paper puncher at all, so that doesn't pertain to my experiences. I only shoot targets as much as I HAVE to.
I hunt hogs and varmints at night, and only on the lowest setting, because the higher the setting, the more the target is obscured or covered up and that's no good. That's not how to properly use the piece of equipment.
So if you use one, you use the lowest setting possible day or night and you won't have it cover up your target. Sounds like you are using the triple dot. Chunk it if you don't like it! I did. Don't miss it at all either.

·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guide Girl -

No..my question refers to any red dot "sight", three, four or single dots. If you read, I sight in so that the dot is "under" the target...just like iron sights on a rifle or hand gun.
Pretty much, the lighted cross hair "scopes", I do the same thing. The target sits on the horizontal line, while the vertical line splits the target.

The glare you speak of...sure..that's a natural, as I/you noted, turn it down in brightness.

Mike

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Mike said:
Guide Girl -

No..my question refers to any red dot "sight", three, four or single dots. If you read, I sight in so that the dot is "under" the target...just like iron sights on a rifle or hand gun.
Pretty much, the lighted cross hair "scopes", I do the same thing. The target sits on the horizontal line, while the vertical line splits the target.

The glare you speak of...sure..that's a natural, as I/you noted, turn it down in brightness.

Mike
In that case, I sight mine in for the exact spot I need my arrow to hit. No guess work for anyone that picks up the bow.

·
41 Posts
I am in the process of putting a zeiss z-point(single dot) red dot on my xcal phoenix. I plan on sighting it in by putting the red dot where I want my arrow to hit therefore it will be right on the target. I never gave it any thought about sighting it in the other way. My only concern was at what distance will dead on be when my max. shooting distance will be 30 yards. I guess once i get around to putting it on I will find out. right now i have a vari-zone scope on it and am very happy with it .The reason i want to try the z-point is because it weighs about 4 ounces and i am sure my varizone/rings weighs about 3-4x as much therefore I would like to lighten up my crossbow.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Red Dot

Hope you like your new Zeiss Zpoint as much as I like mine.

I put the Zeiss on about 3 weeks ago and I find I like it better than the Lumi zone that it replaced.

For ranges that I shoot while Deer and Turkey hunting I find the Zeiss ideal.

Actually The Desert Stryker now feels better balanced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts