Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot mine into a target today they did not open. I've searched on here and found older threads saying both good and bad.

It 2021 I'm sure more of you have used them so what the verdict.

I shoot a WR INVADER 400 with xx75 around 380fps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Work fine for me at 400 FPS opening on the target isn’t the same as an animal tho. also are you setting the blade in the center of the pedals not in the notchs if in the notch sometimes they don’t open.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine opened in my target. I'm shooting (I'm guessing) around 340 to 350 fps with my Sniper 370.
But as WWB said, big difference between a target and hide/muscle.
If you really want to find out for sure they're opening, get a ham, roast, turkey, chicken - anything that replicates muscle - and take a shot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I shoot them out of my vertical bow and they open. Killed 4 deer with them last year and all had full entrance holes.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
So.........who's shooting the red collars and who is shooting the black collars?!?

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
I read a post awhile back that said you just stick the blades into the notches. But....I watched a U-tube video that said to push the blades down under the collars between the cuts in the collars. So....which is right?!?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The directions on the rage pack say the blades do not go in the notches they go in the center of the pedals. This is right from feradyne website
Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I ask as I can see how flesh would have a totally diffrent effect to hard foam. I had a head not open on a 60 dollar broadhead target from Walmart, you all know the type. Skin is tough and grabs so I can see the argument. I want real world experience with red collars fron you guys with your rigs stats. Again mine is slinging them out there at 380ish.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
They open for me in in a rhinehart and on game. As you can see from the photo I posted that head opened and did it job 100% my bow is only goes 20 fsp faster then yours. Ravin R10 is a 400 FPS XBow with a 400 grain arrow. That turkey was shot at 40 yards. The approx speed is 384 fsp At that distance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
So I ask as I can see how flesh would have a totally diffrent effect to hard foam. I had a head not open on a 60 dollar broadhead target from Walmart, you all know the type. Skin is tough and grabs so I can see the argument. I want real world experience with red collars fron you guys with your rigs stats. Again mine is slinging them out there at 380ish.

People are giving you real world feedback

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
I have 12 of the knock-off Hypodermics. I havent shot them yet but when I do I'll tape a piece of paper over the front of my target so I can see if the blades open and cut on contact. My bows are a bit slower shooting 305 and 350 fps. I have the black collars.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is only one way to slide on the Trypan shock collars as they fit into the ferrule groove. The arrow point on the collar, lines up with the groove on each side.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
So.........who's shooting the red collars and who is shooting the black collars?!?
I shoot the black collars out of my Ravin R20 at approx. 430 fps but do put a dental band on them for extra insurance. Never has one fail to open on any animal I have shot. I have some red collars but have never shot one of them.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
I read a post awhile back that said you just stick the blades into the notches. But....I watched a U-tube video that said to push the blades down under the collars between the cuts in the collars. So....which is right?!?
Between the cuts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The absolute key is what has been stated several times above- YOU MUST PLACE THE RETENTION BLADES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NOTCHES ON THE RED COLLAR. I don't know why they make any notches at all on those collars, but you don't want those blades seated in the notches on the red collars. The Rage Crossbow X is all I have used for the past 2 years and I have had an awesome blood trail with each one. Good luck on the upcoming season (still two months to go here in IL).

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have used rages for many yrs. Yea you gotta put the collars on right which I have. Its just unerving to smack a target and see the head still closed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have used rages for many yrs. Yea you gotta put the collars on right which I have. Its just unerving to smack a target and see the head still closed.

A target is not an animal. Maybe stretch a piece of animal hide over the face of your target and try again???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts