Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I see those Swat's. LOL.

I been using the Hypo's for years. If you don't trust em to open use a razor blade and make those slits in the collars deeper. I like to make em deeper because the petals break off easier. Less resistance on the blades when they try to open and they still hold the blades tight in the closed position. I shoot them from 395fps up to around 465fps and haven't had a problem.

I also am using Swat's now. They are deadly too. I found deer don't go as far and quicker blood drainage using the Swat.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
How come there's two wounds on the same side or is that just blood?!?

·
Registered
685 Posts
How come there's two wounds on the same side or is that just blood?!?
It’s only one wound. It was laying on that side and I moved it and it landed in the puddle of blood from the wound.
Yes I’ll be using the swats this year as you can see they are locked and loaded

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've shot the red collar Rage Xbow BHs (100 grain) for the past two years out of my TP Stealth NXT (~390 fps) and my TP Shadow Ultra Lite (~330 fps). Both using 425 grain TP Pro Elite arrows.

I don't recall any instances of them not opening, both in block targets for testing, and in 4 or 5 WT deer that were all very quick track jobs.

They are currently my go-to BHs.

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They shoot so good but man is my confidence low. Had anyone had one fail ???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
They shoot so good but man is my confidence low. Had anyone had one fail ???

Well, if your confidence is still low, just keep in mind that Rich Wilson over on the Death By Bunjie Youtube channel has used the red shock collars for at least 2 or 3 seasons now and has killed numerous deer with them on video and I believe he has had zero instances of them not opening.

Why am I bringing him up? Because he was shooting about 285fps out of his Excal Axiom and I think about 75 or so ft lb KE if I recall. So if they work fine at that speed and energy level, then I'm sure they'll work fine in your bow which is likely much faster.

Reactions: txcookie

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's justvreally weird that they don't open in my target. Yea if bunjie can do it my bow certainly can

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's justvreally weird that they don't open in my target. Yea if bunjie can do it my bow certainly can

You’ve been giving advice and it’s your choice not to follow it. If you want to worry about what it does or doesn’t do to a target, that is also your choice. A target is not an animal. I’ve already explained this to you.

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You’ve been giving advice and it’s your choice not to follow it. If you want to worry about what it does or doesn’t do to a target, that is also your choice. A target is not an animal. I’ve already explained this to you.
I'm taking the advise. Arrows are put together bows dialed in everything is ready. Even if they fail to open there is almost a full inch if slice so I'm not gonna sweat this anymore.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts

I thought I was having problems shooting Torrid SS100's. Every time I pulled my arrows the blades were closed and the (2) bands were still on them. (Reason for double banding was I was having some shots with the blades opening before reaching the target.) So what I did was seperate the two targets I had tied tightly together (two old foam 3-D targets) and set one about 4" behind the other. Come to find out after pulling the head out of the back target the head did open but after pulling it all the way back thru the first target the blades closed and the bands rolled back down the broadhead.

On my ChinaDermics I am using the black collars and double banding with some looser 1/4" bands (to maintain my confidence in them). Mine are shooting perfectly out of my 350 fps crossbow and I'm SURE they'd do the same out of my 305 fps bow..;)

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm the guy that has to dig bullets out of critters to see terminal ballistics. I just get weird about these things thanks for all of your input. It has helped a lot

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I shoot the black collars out of my Ravin R20 at approx. 430 fps but do put a dental band on them for extra insurance. Never has one fail to open on any animal I have shot. I have some red collars but have never shot one of them.
Robertyb, which size dental bands do you use and are you single banding or doubling? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
I use both 3/16" and 1/4" bands and from 3 1/12 oz to 6 oz in strength. I single band the 6oz ones and sometimes double band the 3 1/2 oz ones but have never had a failure using just one. Some of the lighter ones just look like they have a weak spot so I use 2 then.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts