Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes good intentions can become a problem as when Loc Tite won't let loose (or the wrong kind is used) causing a stuck screw. Rather than muscling it to the point that the slot is stripped, try this: find a screwdriver bit that fits tight into the slot, tap it in if necessary, tighter the better. Then heat the bit (I use a small butane torch) until it's red. Heat will transfer to the screw and soften the glue, making it easier to remove screw. Have don't this several times in my gun repair hobby. It works.

·
665 Posts
thanks now I can use all that red lock tite I have in the garage:D

·
1,222 Posts
ALMOST...ugly story about Loc-Tite.

Many..MANY moons ago..three of us were out shooting.
One of us (not myself!) had modified his AR-15 with one of those "drop in" kits that were available at the time to make them full auto.

Well we were shooting in an area that had burned some time back. No signs were out that said no shooting...so we stopped.

The AR-15 came out..he put in 5 rounds, into the well, aim, trigger...ALL five rounds let fly...!? With ONE trigger pull...NOT a long trigger pull...a pull and release!

He tried another magazine...this one failed to feed properly..one round and a jam.

So back to the first magazine.
Same thing...the gun emptied the magazine withe a single pull of the trigger...a runaway.

After messing with it a bit...we concluded that because of a mistake on his part...and using LocTite to "fix" this mistake....the LocTite had gotten into where it wasn't supposed to be...and "locked" a coupla parts together that shouldn't have been.

Now for the fun....
The crackle of a police car radio!
Long sorta scarry, story short...the officers said he didn't have enough info to fully understand the working of the gun...but to "take this gun home and don't bring it out to shoot like this anymore"!

Gotta go back to work...will finish the fun details later.

Mike

·
11,411 Posts
I always sray on the conservative side with Loc-Tite

Cossack - good tip:)

·
76 Posts
Soldering irons work well also applied directly on screw. I guess the best "trick" is if there is any possibility that you may want to remove it later, only use "Blue". Red is a crapshoot on whether its coming out or not, especially on small screws.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I use the blue Loc Tite on multiple screws and bolts,never had a problem.
However, Red can be like superglue on some applications.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
If you are a "tweaker" and take your stock off often, use a steel nut to chase the old blue loc-tite off the threads on the stock to rail screws. One thing about heli-coils, lol, they come a bunch to the package.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts