Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious. How many people have had issues with their bows with internal cranking devices that required you to either send back the bow or take to an authorized service center?
I came close to buying a crossbow with one but changed my mind. They usually are not set up for any other cocking option. Would always like the ability to manually cock the bow should a mechanical device fail.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
143 Posts
I understand your liking of rope cockers. But, for me, they are a real pain up in treestands that I use. I have a dozen of the API style with the platform constructed of square aluminum tubing, with each square tube spaced about 3 inches apart. I'll take my chances with my narrow limb, internal crank TenPoint Viper. That woven cable looks pretty tough to me.

·
4,775 Posts
I have the attached AcuDraw on my Aculeus 460, Charger on the BD400 and crank cocker for the SWAT XPs. A detachable crank is what I prefer Unless I can easily use a rope cocker(SWAT). Having an integral crank cocker is not desirable to me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your liking of rope cockers. But, for me, they are a real pain up in treestands that I use. I have a dozen of the API style with the platform constructed of square aluminum tubing, with each square tube spaced about 3 inches apart. I'll take my chances with my narrow limb, internal crank TenPoint Viper. That woven cable looks pretty tough to me.
Agree. The last three bows I owned before the Stealth were RDX's. It was doable.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm asking about reliability. Not advantages VS disadvantages.

·
4,775 Posts
I'm asking about reliability. Not advantages VS disadvantages.
The AcuDraw Pro has had some reports of problems, both with the clutch in the handle and in the unit itself. If the integral crank is the same, maybe asking about or researching the AD Pro might be helpful.
The traveling trigger block - does it require an integral crank. If so, other methods may not be able to be used.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I have the attached AcuDraw on my Aculeus 460, Charger on the BD400 and crank cocker for the SWAT XPs. A detachable crank is what I prefer Unless I can easily use a rope cocker(SWAT). Having an integral crank cocker is not desirable to me.
Sew, with time to reflect I'm rethinking the value to have a built in (internal CCD) on a Xbow. Archer opened my eyes months back to this. If internal CCD is your only option and it goes down you are out of luck. I had Farm Deer recently modify a Carbon Express CCD that externally is fitted to my Barnett TS370 and I can remove it anytime quite fast and easily. If I ever have an issue with my CCD I will have a manual rope cocker as a backup. Just the lane I feel comfortable being in as innovation brings more convenience to the aging hunter.

Reactions: archer36 and SEW

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sew, with time to reflect I'm rethinking the value to have a built in (internal CCD) on a Xbow. Archer opened my eyes months back to this. If internal CCD is your only option and it goes down you are out of luck. I had Farm Deer recently modify a Carbon Express CCD that externally is fitted to my Barnett TS370 and I can remove it anytime quite fast and easily. If I ever have an issue with my CCD I will have a manual rope cocker as a backup. Just the lane I feel comfortable being in as innovation brings more convenience to the aging hunter.
Tom, you have to carry a B/U bow with you at all times with these internal cranks and no option to draw any other way. (n)

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
The TenPoint AcuSlide is the new benchmark for 2020, IMO.
Users should read and follow the instructions for the AcuSlide.

The Ravin integral crank is great as well, except for de-cocking, where it can free-spool and bust some knuckles if not careful.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excalibur's Marketing strategy for years has been "simplicity". Bows keep getting more complex. I don't see how that strategy even is considered any more.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
1 - 11 of 11 Posts