Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So instead of cluttering up Riflenuts thread i figured id start my own. Sorry Riflenut.

Anyway, as i said in riflenuts thread i was having a hard time getting the ata to 10.5 inches. I started with no twists in the string and was at 10 5/8 with the cables covering the rear timing dots. I added 2 more twists to the string making it 3 total on each side and still no change in ata. I took the string off and laid it against my factory string with 40 some odd shots on it and the brand new AS string was easily an inch longer. The factory string measured 28 7/8 (i didnt remove any factory twists) and the AS string measured 29 1/4. I thought that was my problem and i received an oversized string but i said what the heck and tried one more twist bringing the total to 4 twists, clockwise, on each side. Unpressed the bow and measured and low and behold the ata is now spot on at 10.5”. It did advance my cables to the front dots so now i need to adjust the cables.

Id like to say that im not exactly thrilled with the quality of AS string.

1.)The cables look good but there are a couple gaps in the serving and i can see the string underneath it. One is about an inch or two to the right of where id nock an arrow. There are also a couple gaps down by the served loops.
2.) My brand new string was longer than my used and stretched out factory string requiring more twists than what im guessing is normal.
3.) The left side of the center serving has a weird taper to it. Idk if thats on purpose or what but ive never seen a center serving served like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Id also like to add that my string seems to be about 1/8” towards the right side of the bow. Meaning the serving sticks out past the cam farther on the left side than the right and also the center serving is a little offset compared to the string stops. Ill add a pic so hopefully that helps clarify things

I was pretty careful making sure i put exactly 4 twists on each side of the string. I didnt take notice to how it was with zero twists but it looked the same when i had 1 1/2 twists and each time i tried 3 twists. Will timing the cables fix this or did they just screw up when serving my string? I sure hope its not the latter because knowing they are off center and not even will drive me insane

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Id be on the phone with AS about the gaps. If that center serving has gaps in it the serving is going to move. No good!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sounds like Archery Shack is having the same problem a lot of vendors have this time of year. I would guess overloaded with orders and having to employ less experienced folks to keep up.

My recommendation to anyone who needs strings, arrows or anything else that requires labor is to buy in the off season. It seems every year folks wait until demand is the greatest.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Id also like to add that my string seems to be about 1/8” towards the right side of the bow. Meaning the serving sticks out past the cam farther on the left side than the right and also the center serving is a little offset compared to the string stops. Ill add a pic so hopefully that helps clarify things

I was pretty careful making sure i put exactly 4 twists on each side of the string. I didnt take notice to how it was with zero twists but it looked the same when i had 1 1/2 twists and each time i tried 3 twists. Will timing the cables fix this or did they just screw up when serving my string? I sure hope its not the latter because knowing they are off center and not even will drive me insane

1)In regards to adding twists to the bow string, you can put the twists all from one end as they will travel the full length of the bow string.
2)As to the center serving, the string builder may not have measured from the center of the string each way. I find the center and suppose
I was going to add a 6" serving. I would measure 3" each way from center and mark with a small dab of white out.
3)Adjusting your cables will change your axle to axle measurement. Advancing the cams will lessen the axle to axle as it wraps more bowstring
around the cams. This will also increase the speed of the bow. Axle to axle measurement as per the manual is just a guide line.

I have two Barnett Ghost 410 crossbows (supposedly identical). One has 1/2" less axle to axle measurement than the other to maintain the same
speed in feet per second shooting the same arrow-point weight combination. This crossbow has thousands more shots than the other. Did the
limbs weaken over time or do they have a slightly different limb deflection??

All the best with what ever you decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So instead of cluttering up Riflenuts thread i figured id start my own. Sorry Riflenut.

Anyway, as i said in riflenuts thread i was having a hard time getting the ata to 10.5 inches. I started with no twists in the string and was at 10 5/8 with the cables covering the rear timing dots. I added 2 more twists to the string making it 3 total on each side and still no change in ata. I took the string off and laid it against my factory string with 40 some odd shots on it and the brand new AS string was easily an inch longer. The factory string measured 28 7/8 (i didnt remove any factory twists) and the AS string measured 29 1/4. I thought that was my problem and i received an oversized string but i said what the heck and tried one more twist bringing the total to 4 twists, clockwise, on each side. Unpressed the bow and measured and low and behold the ata is now spot on at 10.5”. It did advance my cables to the front dots so now i need to adjust the cables.

Id like to say that im not exactly thrilled with the quality of AS string.

1.)The cables look good but there are a couple gaps in the serving and i can see the string underneath it. One is about an inch or two to the right of where id nock an arrow. There are also a couple gaps down by the served loops.
2.) My brand new string was longer than my used and stretched out factory string requiring more twists than what im guessing is normal.
3.) The left side of the center serving has a weird taper to it. Idk if thats on purpose or what but ive never seen a center serving served like that.

I would untwist the string a little to center the dots. If you twist the cables they will move the dots farther forward. The axle to axle can be 10.5 to 10 and 5/8" per Ravin. If you are timing it from one side to the other you will have to do cables. Unhook them from the spindle and turn clockwise to shorten them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like Archery Shack is having the same problem a lot of vendors have this time of year. I would guess overloaded with orders and having to employ less experienced folks to keep up.

My recommendation to anyone who needs strings, arrows or anything else that requires labor is to buy in the off season. It seems every year folks wait until demand is the greatest.
Yea im sure they are swamped right now but theres no excuse for lack of quality. If you cant produce a quality product in a timely matter stop taking orders. O yea and i bought my strings and cables back in May.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Im going to call AS about the gaps in the serving but in the meantime ill remove a half twist in the strings and adjust cables if necessary.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea im sure they are swamped right now but theres no excuse for lack of quality. If you cant produce a quality product in a timely matter stop taking orders. O yea and i bought my strings and cables back in May.

BigBird, i reread my comment and it sounds snarky. I didnt intend it to be i was just trying to let you know that i didnt wait till the last minute to order strings. I just waited till the last minute to install them.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I think your answer was dead on correct. I bet you will receive a new string from AS when they see serving separation on a new string.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
BigBird, i reread my comment and it sounds snarky. I didnt intend it to be i was just trying to let you know that i didnt wait till the last minute to order strings. I just waited till the last minute to install them.

Caspar,
It's all good. You seem to be a very fine person and we are fortunate to have you as a member on CBN.
Just by you making your snarky comment above verifies that you are indeed a class act.
I certainly meant no disrespect in my comment about purchasing your strings in the off season.
You obviously already knew that.
It can be frustrating installing strings on a Ravin especially for folks who haven't done it much.
I just would urge you to install them earlier in the future so AS will have time to promptly address any concerns you might have.
Nonetheless, please take the time to call them and convey your concerns. I'm sure they will listen and help you if they can.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BigBird. I appreciate the comments. Ill definitely take your advice and give them a call. Hopefully theyll take care of me. Every company has a bad product slip through the cracks once in awhile. Its how they handle it after the sale that makes all the difference.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also need to get my factory string reserved and ill have a backup set. Im somewhere around 40-45 shots on my original set and the cables still look brand new. Other than the center serving seperating even the string is in great shape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would untwist the string a little to center the dots. If you twist the cables they will move the dots farther forward. The axle to axle can be 10.5 to 10 and 5/8" per Ravin. If you are timing it from one side to the other you will have to do cables. Unhook them from the spindle and turn clockwise to shorten them.
I

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hunter B , I put my new cables on Friday they were maybe 1/4” short, I ranked it back 4/5 times and let it sit 5-10 min a time, now splitting the dots and ata 10 1/2”, thank you so much for your input😃😃😃

1 - 17 of 17 Posts