Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to start reserving my own strings. I think I understand most of it. I just don't seem to get a clear answer on how tight the string should be before you put the center serving on. Would just the endless loop string jig work the way it is or do I need to add a string tightener to it? It's probably an obvious answer but I can't find much info.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
595 Posts
Check out Boos video on center serving on YouTube. Burky has on on there too. Search crossbow center serving. Definitely watch these two videos before you try it. In Boos video he says wrap so tight you almost break the string. I learned how to reserve last fall after watching these videos, they were a big help. Thanks Boo and Burky for taking the time to make these vids. They are a great resource for someone who wants to learn to re-serve.
Take care and good luck
Oncebitten

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Check out Boos video on center serving on YouTube. Burky has on on there too. Search crossbow center serving. Definitely watch these two videos before you try it. In Boos video he says wrap so tight you almost break the string. I learned how to reserve last fall after watching these videos, they were a big help. Thanks Boo and Burky for taking the time to make these vids. They are a great resource for someone who wants to learn to re-serve.
Take care and good luck
Oncebitten
Never seen Burkys. Got a link?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Take care and good luck
Oncebitten
thanks I'll watch. I'm just wondering about the jig itself like it never really shows The jig in these videos. But it looks like I could just do it right on the endless loop jig.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
595 Posts
This is a picture of a jig from Boos website. Boos custom strings. Lots of good info there if you want to check it out. The man knows crossbow strings. This jig can be easily constructed. Strings must be served under high tension to prevent serving separation.

If you have any questions ask away.
Oncebitten

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a picture of a jig from Boos website. Boos custom strings. Lots of good info there if you want to check it out. The man knows crossbow strings. This jig can be easily constructed. Strings must be served under high tension to prevent serving separation.
View attachment 193441
If you have any questions ask away.
Oncebitten
Thx.this helps.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The tension on the string is usually 300 - 350# while being served. I have also heard of some being as much as 400#. Either way you have to have a stout jig to handle that kind of tension.

To measure the tension, some use a scale in-line with the string and some use a jig with a spring coil with known compression measurements for 100, 200, and 300#.

If you're interested, there's a guy called Automan26 on the ArcheryTalk forum that has a sideshow and pdf that shows you how to make the jig he calls The El-Cheapo.

Good luck .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
The tension on the string is usually 300 - 350# while being served. I have also heard of some being as much as 400#. Either way you have to have a stout jig to handle that kind of tension.

To measure the tension, some use a scale in-line with the string and some use a jig with a spring coil with known compression measurements for 100, 200, and 300#.

If you're interested, there's a guy called Automan26 on the ArcheryTalk forum that has a sideshow and pdf that shows you how to make the jig he calls The El-Cheapo.

Good luck .

I've thought about ordering one of those tension springs but never have. I always just get it good and tight and go by feel. Never had any kind of problem. Servings stay put.

You mean this isn't the El-Cheapo? LOL Guess I could have used all wood. Made mine a little wider than Boo's directions.
string jig 2006-01-01 002.JPG

It paid for itself quickly with multiple bows.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've thought about ordering one of those tension springs but never have. I always just get it good and tight and go by feel. Never had any kind of problem. Servings stay put.

You mean this isn't the El-Cheapo? LOL Guess I could have used all wood. Made mine a little wider than Boo's directions. View attachment 193453

I'm going to make one Friday, thx

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

You mean this isn't the El-Cheapo? LOL Guess I could have used all wood. Made mine a little wider than Boo's directions. View attachment 193453

His must be the de-luxe model! LOL!

·
Registered
569 Posts

Nice set up .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts