Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
2,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Most likely the 0.36 Burky is referring to is Angel Majesty.

Angel Majesty materials are tough stuff and grips well onto the string. Comes in various sizes from 0.015 to 0.036.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
768 Posts
Guys, is .036 pretty much the standard dia for serving? What brand? Thanks
Different applications require different serving diameter. I use .036 Angel Majesty on all my Excaliburs. Little bit of wax and this serving lasts many shots in my experience.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
368 Posts
Most likely the 0.36 Burky is referring to is Angel Majesty.

Angel Majesty materials are tough stuff and grips well onto the string. Comes in various sizes from 0.015 to 0.036.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I’m using the alpha nocks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Different applications require different serving diameter. I use .036 Angel Majesty on all my Excaliburs. Little bit of wax and this serving lasts many shots in my experience.
Take care
Oncebitten
Yea that’s why I’m asking, I’m using the alpha nocks. I betcha Martymig could tell me. He’s made strings for the siege which is what I’m shooting

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I believe its BCY that makes a .030 crossbow serving. I've used it and the AM .036. Both have worked good for me. Not much difference in the diameter that I can tell.

Reactions: Joel11230

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Not sure if you’re referring to string tension or serving tension?

I use a McMaster-Carr $8 spring number 9588K54 that goes up to 400+ pounds I think. I used a 300# scale to make my saw cut marks on the eye bolt.

I stretch the string to 300#, and tighten up the serving tool really tight for the .036” Angel Majesty - I really stand on the server. I clamp Irwin speed clamps on both sides of the area and they brace against my table so the string doesn’t turn.

They seem to turn out pretty good.

IMG_0469.JPG

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I use a McMaster-Carr $8 spring number 9588K54 that goes up to 400+ pounds I think. I used a 300# scale to make my saw cut marks on the eye bolt.

I stretch the string to 300#, and tighten up the serving tool really tight for the .036” Angel Majesty - I really stand on the server. I clamp Irwin speed clamps on both sides of the area and they brace against my table so the string doesn’t turn.

View attachment 196309
Thanks. That pic helped to clear up a lot of my questions. I was talking about the string tension I know that the serving tension you just go pretty tight too

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
768 Posts

View attachment 196309
You dont happen to have a pic with the orientation of the clamps holding the string. do you TP?
Thanks
Oncebitten

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
No I don’t. The speed clamp is about 11” long and it’s only about 4” from the string to the back frame on my press.

Since I only serve CCW - left to right and over the top going away from me - I clamp the string with the soft jaws opening facing down and lay the clamp's bar on the back of the press (red arrow).

When I start to serve the clamps keep the string from wanting to twist in the direction I’m serving.

fullsizeoutput_1040.jpeg
IMG_1620.JPG

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
768 Posts
No I don’t. The speed clamp is about 11” long and it’s only about 4” from the string to the back frame on my press.

Since I only serve CCW - left to right and over the top going away from me - I clamp the string with the soft jaws opening facing down and lay the clamp's bar on the back of the press (red arrow).

When I start to serve the clamps keep the string from wanting to twist in the direction I’m serving.

View attachment 196314 View attachment 196315
Thanks. I will try something like this next time I'm replacing my serving.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I tried clamps like that with my jig and it was a pita. Might just be my cheapo jig. So I made these with some cheap clamps I had. A few wraps with electrical tape or whatever protects the string when they are tight. They work pretty well. 😁
20210303_133721.jpg
20210304_122030.jpg
20210304_121921.jpg

Now I just need to get a spring I guess.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Stalker - I see where those metal jaws could be a pain. The soft pads on the Irwin clamps work really well.

Right now I’m checking shaft deflections on my press right now, later I’ll take some pics with my clamps when I reserve a string.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
368 Posts

View attachment 196314 View attachment 196315
When’s you get a chance I’d like to see a picture of the whole jig. I need to make one.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Stalker - I see where those metal jaws could be a pain. The soft pads on the Irwin clamps work really well.

Right now I’m checking shaft deflections on my press right now, later I’ll take some pics with my clamps when I reserve a string.
The metal jaws work fine, stay put and are not a problem. I had the soft pads on the clamps I had and they kept wanting to slip off the string eventually and where a pain. They are not Irwin clamps though.
Can you show us a picture of your complete jig. I need to make one.
Here you go.
20210303_153504.jpg

21 - 40 of 54 Posts