Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I changed out the attachments on my press and set it up to show how I clamp the string when serving. The clamp's bar holds against the press frame.

I can do CCW left to right over the top and away from me, or CW right to left over the top and away.

This works really well.
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I changed out the attachments on my press and set it up to show how I clamp the string when serving. The clamp's bar holds against the press frame.

I can do CCW left to right over the top and away from me, or CW right to left over the top and away.

This works really well. View attachment 196349 View attachment 196350
I can see how that clamp would be much more stable being that close to that frame.

Not the case on my jig.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I use Irwin clamps too. My jig is different than yours (Lil' Jon) so I just let the "leg" of the clamp, brace against the table top.

For those that use strut as their jig length, there is a very simple solution. A short piece of 3/8 threaded rod, tall enough to be higher than your string, then a couple of nuts and washers with a couple of nylon washers to make a squeeze area for your string. The rod is supported with a springnut arrangement for your strut. You can also put a wingnut on top for ease if use. I'll check the DIY forum on AT for a pic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I use Irwin clamps too. My jig is different than yours (Lil' Jon) so I just let the "leg" of the clamp, brace against the table top.

For those that use strut as their jig length, there is a very simple solution. A short piece of 3/8 threaded rod, tall enough to be higher than your string, then a couple of nuts and washers with a couple of nylon washers to make a squeeze area for your string. The rod is supported with a springnut arrangement for your strut. You can also put a wingnut on top for ease if use. I'll check the DIY forum on AT for a pic.

Sounds like the ones I saw on a video that Burky did reserving. Thats what gave me the idea to make the ones I did.

Reactions: samt

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
366 Posts
Here is a link to a Dropbox file that's a tutorial on building a 2-post string making jig called the El-Cheapo.

Hope this helps.

Haha, that’s funny. I was actually watching those videos at work🤫. I just now saw your post with the link. That actually looks like a really nice jig, and easy to build.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
366 Posts
I can see how that clamp would be much more stable being that close to that frame.

Not the case on my jig.
I worked for wireline service companies where we used wireline from 1/4” on up. We would have to “rehead” every so often. We had two halves specifically made with cutouts to clamp the wireline then they were squeezed in a vise so not to eggshape or distort the wireline. The two block halves were made out of a composite material. I bet if a person had some composite material they could drill a hole through it just barely smaller than the diameter of the string then cut it in half directly in the center of the hole? Maybe? Sandwich the string between the two halves.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I worked for wireline service companies where we used wireline from 1/4” on up. We would have to “rehead” every so often. We had two halves specifically made with cutouts to clamp the wireline then they were squeezed in a vise so not to eggshape or distort the wireline. The two block halves were made out of a composite material. I bet if a person had some composite material they could drill a hole through it just barely smaller than the diameter of the string then cut it in half directly in the center of the hole? Maybe? Sandwich the string between the two halves.

I tried gluing rubber pads on mine first. When the screw part of the c-clamp turns it rips it off when it starts getting tight contacting the string as it turns. With the notch in the bottom of the clamp and something wrapped around the string to protect it from the clamp it works good. With no damage to the string.

I thought about welding some bolts to the tops of the rods I had. then make them similar to the ones above. With the rubber washers etc. That might have caused a trip to the hardware store for the washers:( :poop: So I just went with the c-clamps and made do😁

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
768 Posts
Some of my Micro strings I re-served separated very quickly where it goes around the string latch. I was putting the serving on very tight but I think when I let the twists out of the string my serving may have loosened up. I'm going to try to add a couple posts to my "jig" and clamp the string in them. It should make the whole job a little easier and hopefully keep my serving tighter.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Some of my Micro strings I re-served separated very quickly where it goes around the string latch. I was putting the serving on very tight but I think when I let the twists out of the string my serving may have loosened up. I'm going to try to add a couple posts to my "jig" and clamp the string in them. It should make the whole job a little easier and hopefully keep my serving tighter.
Take care
Oncebitten
The same has happened to me. Especially when your trying to get the serving super tight with the serving tool cranked down. The clamps help a lot imo.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts