Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could never grill thick filets til I learned about reverse sear.

Did these on my buddy's Rectec, as we're in between houses

Smoked at 200° until they hit 125°

Cast iron with butter on the gasser for 1 minute or so each side ... dang good !!!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,394 Posts
OH YEAH!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Never tried the reverse Sear, but they sure look good

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Did these on my buddy's Rectec
They look real good. I got a RecTec 540. Good for slow cooking.....But being indirect heat you do need to reverse sear.

Reactions: USAF Ret in Wis

·
Registered
13,917 Posts
Man! These grills this day and time are something else!! Those look delicious.;):)

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man! These grills this day and time are something else!! Those look delicious.;):)
They were good. Since having our pellet smoker, we can't eat steak any other way :cool:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Looks great. Started doing reverse sear a year or so ago after slow cooking on my pellet grill. Makes for a really good steak.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Again, dam they look good, yer work'n on me, I been think'n about trying it since yer first post, I think you just pushed me over the edge. I might just go [ick out a couple selects have em cut 1 1/2" and do em in the Cookshack this weekend. They sure look good!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
USAF Ret in Wis,
Have you made any jerky in your Recteq?
I am going to start some tomorrow. For some reason it just dawned on me how perfect pellet smokers should be for jerky.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How's yours turn out?
Everybody who tried it gave it (y). It was ok. I want OK! I ordered a slicer to try to get consistent thickness. I am going to play with seasonings. I am not enamored with teriyaki flavor. I want something like hot/sweet. Habanero/barbeque.
But the grill worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I make jerky on my pitboss pretty frequently. I put an aftermarket controller on it that will hold much steadier (lower) temps than the factory one.
We really like the dr pepper jalapeno recipe from the website"hey grill hey" but we do add more jalapeno to spruce it up a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried this yesterday for first time just on bbq and then sear on side burner in cast iron, turned out very nice. Learned a couple things.....thanks USAF Ret in Wis. Next time the Traeger will have to come out.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well I tried this in the cookshack with 2 oz. of white oak, 1 1/3+ ribeye's I cut from whole roll choice cuts, 200* till my internal temp hit 125*, that took about 1-1 1/2 hours,I gotta admit thats a guess, cause I have a habit of diregaurding time, and only watch the digital instant read temp, for me time is irrelevant if all care about is getting it right, then only temp matters.

Off at the 125* internal and into my cast skillet, used a recipe that called for just a tad bit conola oil to just cover my skillet and 1-2 tablespoons butter, as soon as it should the first hint of smoke I strew them in. I hit both sides for about 1 1/2 minutes then did the sides and about 1 more minute doing both sides and basting the top each turn with the butter from the pan.

THANKS for those encouraging pics USAF, they were probably the best I have had. tender and the juiciest I remember, and I have had a few steaks cooked many ways the past 66 years! I doubt I do another on the grill,, these were better!

As for jerky in the smoker, GREAT, but know many that have poor results! But in almost every case they had poor results, is because they used TOO MUCH WOOD! Use your wood of choice sparingly, jerky can get overpowered with smoke because you are dehydrating the juices and impregnating the smoke. So once the product is dehydrated there is less there to blend with the smoke, this creates a less than desirable strong and bitter flavor.

But jerky smoked right, marinated for 12 to 16 hours and lightly smoked with your favorite wood,,, can't be beat, Jack Lynks don't stand a chance!

Here's another one for you, your summer sausage, and this time plenty of wood is good, just as you smoke the same amount of pork but or brisket. I no longer cure my summer sausage in the oven, smoker only, with Cherry and hickory blend is my preferred woods, but whatever you prefer, hickory for a stronger smoke, or white oak or apple for smoother smoke. In a smoker start slow, 100* for first hour, then I kick it to 180 for 1 hour then I take it to 220 till the internal hits 160*, then have a tub of crushed ice I burry the casings in as soon as I pull them. This keeps my tubes smooth and not wrinkled, and the casing peels freely without the meat clinging to it.

Thanks again USAF,,, this is a killer way to prepare steaks, and never even on a grill contaminate you food with gas, propane or natural,,, it will be in the flavor of the meat! Hardwood or charcoal are required, my heat source will always be electric, absolutely no flavor, and why electric is usually in championship cook offs, its just to easy to get better results with consant chosen temps, set and forget, just get the right amount of wood, and forget it till that digital temp says "its done"!!

·
Registered
Western Wisconsin
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I tried this in the cookshack with 2 oz. of white oak, 1 1/3+ ribeye's I cut from whole roll choice cuts, 200* till my internal temp hit 125*, that took about 1-1 1/2 hours,I gotta admit thats a guess, cause I have a habit of diregaurding time, and only watch the digital instant read temp, for me time is irrelevant if all care about is getting it right, then only temp matters.

Off at the 125* internal and into my cast skillet, used a recipe that called for just a tad bit conola oil to just cover my skillet and 1-2 tablespoons butter, as soon as it should the first hint of smoke I strew them in. I hit both sides for about 1 1/2 minutes then did the sides and about 1 more minute doing both sides and basting the top each turn with the butter from the pan.

THANKS for those encouraging pics USAF, they were probably the best I have had. tender and the juiciest I remember, and I have had a few steaks cooked many ways the past 66 years! I doubt I do another on the grill,, these were better!

As for jerky in the smoker, GREAT, but know many that have poor results! But in almost every case they had poor results, is because they used TOO MUCH WOOD! Use your wood of choice sparingly, jerky can get overpowered with smoke because you are dehydrating the juices and impregnating the smoke. So once the product is dehydrated there is less there to blend with the smoke, this creates a less than desirable strong and bitter flavor.

But jerky smoked right, marinated for 12 to 16 hours and lightly smoked with your favorite wood,,, can't be beat, Jack Lynks don't stand a chance!

Here's another one for you, your summer sausage, and this time plenty of wood is good, just as you smoke the same amount of pork but or brisket. I no longer cure my summer sausage in the oven, smoker only, with Cherry and hickory blend is my preferred woods, but whatever you prefer, hickory for a stronger smoke, or white oak or apple for smoother smoke. In a smoker start slow, 100* for first hour, then I kick it to 180 for 1 hour then I take it to 220 till the internal hits 160*, then have a tub of crushed ice I burry the casings in as soon as I pull them. This keeps my tubes smooth and not wrinkled, and the casing peels freely without the meat clinging to it.

Thanks again USAF,,, this is a killer way to prepare steaks, and never even on a grill contaminate you food with gas, propane or natural,,, it will be in the flavor of the meat! Hardwood or charcoal are required, my heat source will always be electric, absolutely no flavor, and why electric is usually in championship cook offs, its just to easy to get better results with consant chosen temps, set and forget, just get the right amount of wood, and forget it till that digital temp says "its done"!!
Catter, glad you liked them. We only cook by temp!

We can't have steak any other way!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts