Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review - Wicked Ridge Fury 410 De-cock

Bottom line first – I like it.

I had possession of a Wicked Ridge (WR) Fury 410 De-cock for about 6 weeks. Mine came directly from the TenPoint /WR factory so I had to wait until dealer orders were first filled. I was told the Covid/supply chain crisis caused some delays but the wait was worth it.

It arrived nearly fully assemble in a big box which once opened contained another box of clear plastic molded to the shape of the assembled crossbow. I recommend you hang on to both boxes just in case you need to return the crossbow for repairs or periodic replacement of cables and string.

The model/package I purchased came with the Range Master scope. I thought about buying one of the models with rangefinder features but talked myself out of it. I do not hunt wide open country or over large fields or food plots. Most of my shots are 40 yards or less – actually 30 yards or less. The Range Master scope has worked fine in the past and will work even better with a faster crossbow.

Once I got the scope, foot bracket and quiver mounting bracket installed it was time to step into the back yard where I can safely shoot a maximum of 35 yards. I quickly discovered I needed a new bag target – one designed for high speed crossbows. My one year old bag target which was perfectly adequate for my TenPoint Carbon Elite XLT and TenPoint Carbon Phantom RCX was no match for arrows traveling at 410fps. I went to a local big box sports store and purchased a Delta McKenzie 24 inch Speed Bag which stops arrows within the first 4-5 inches.

It didn’t take me long to get it dialed in at 20 yards. I use a rifle “dead sled” to eliminate most human error. I moved back to 30 yards and the 30 yard dot was doing same without any adjustment. I’m not sure what the 40 yard dot will do because I don’t have that option in my back yard. BTW I initially used the 400 grain WR arrows that came with the crossbow package but soon intermingled them with TenPoint Pro-elite arrows and cannot see a difference.

OK, here are some strong likes and a couple minor dislikes: I’ve been using a crossbow (all TenPoint) for about 12 years. I practice a lot here in my backyard. I consider myself a better than average deer hunter – I use muzzleloader, rifle, and bow (now crossbow). I stopped counting dead deer at 150 (estimate 300 now) but do keep track of my crossbow kills – 78 as of end of 2021.

Strong likes:

The WR Fury 410 De-cock is my first reverse draw crossbow. I wanted so when I sit in a “shooting house” or ground blind I don’t have to worry about the limb striking the side of the blind. It looks different but I like the look and it really balances well.

This is a very quiet crossbow - much quieter then my previous crossbows. I have a friend who recently purchased a competitors high-end crossbow (name begins with R). He says it is so loud he has to use hearing protection. He also says the cocking device is much to stiff for his wife whom will be the primary user.

I love the cocking / de-coking device. The woven strap holding the sled is a big improvement over the cord that was on earlier model cocking devices. The push button on the cocking crank is a great idea which locks the crank and socket together. Not much to say about the silent cranking and ability to stop in place other than SWEET. I was a little apprehensive about the De-cocking but it operates as easy and smoothly as advertised.

I really like the new safety it engages with a distinct “clink” but you can eliminate the “clink” during a hunting situation by working it slowly with your fingers.

Minor dislikes:

The scope comes detached from the crossbow during shipping which makes me wonder about it ever have been bore sighted or shot. There was no problem in putting it on but my first shot at 20 yards was a foot high and 6 inches to the left. I was able to quickly bring it back on target, then fine tune it so no big deal.

The adjustment inside the adjusting knobs is made of soft plastic. On my scope the adjustment was so stiff I could not turn it easily with my fingers. There is a slot for a screwdriver or coin but that slot is an odd size – Just about every screwdriver or coin I tried was not a good fit and I buggered up the elevation adjustment. I can live with it but will be asking TenPoint if they have and old scope they can cannibalize for the adjustment knobs. (It looks like an easy replacement with a small Allen wrench)

The trigger is stiffer than I expected. These no creep but it is stiffer than my previous crossbow and will take some getting used to.

All in all I think the WR Fury 410 De-cock is a winner for TenPoint / Wicked Ridge. It will be in my deer stand this season. I still have my TP Carbon Phantom as a backup but expect after the 2022 season someone will soon get a good deal on the Phantom and I’ll be upgrading to another TP/WR crossbow with De-cock.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice write up. (y) 🤠 I am a box saver (to my wife's dismay)
Scope not being mounted probably made the package smaller (that will save you $$ if you ever ship it anywhere). Safer for the scope too.
I probably would have bought the cheapest scope offered, or no scope if that was an option, and put something better on. So, factory sighted in is not a "plus" for me.
I'll bet the trigger just needs to be "broken" in.
I think you bought the best value reverse draw bow Ten Point sells!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My initial intention was to do as suggested, ie buy it with regular scope and then add an aftermarket Oracle. After thinking about it and having had good success with the Range Master which came on the crossbow, I'm now going to leave it as is - at least for the 2022 season. I've heard a new version of the Oracle is about to be on the market - we will see:unsure:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was just shooting mine today and find the Range Master acceptable. Cannot see spending $300+ to change it out for something that may be marginally better.
Agree I found the Range Master Pro to be fine for my use. Would not take a shot beyond 50 yds maybe 55 so works for me. I don't really target shoot much so works fine for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts