Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my crossbow has a 210 pound pull weight, I want to make sure I do this right.

Do the knot's in each end of the rope that goes through the handles, sit in the bottom of the handles or does the knot sit over to the side, in the groove of the handles?

Maybe you can tell what I am talking about from the picture.

Glasses Hand Sunglasses Finger Gesture

Thank you for your help!

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Looking at that design of the handle, I would pull the knot up and fit the rope in
the groove and push the knot into the hollow on that side of the groove.
Shortening the cocking rope can sometimes help for making it easier to cock the
crossbow. One is not pulling up so high when nearing the fully cocked position.

I have cocking ropes that came with all my crossbows, but any crossbow that did
not except a plug in crank, I modified them so they would. I have a few reasons for
using the crank cocking device:
1)it is more accurate. Using the rope cocker is faster but near the fully cocked position,
one may pull harder on one side, off setting the center of the bowstring in the arrow latch
area which can cause the arrow to miss the point of aim.

2)my crossbows are all mounted in a high quality rifle jig when tuning for target shooting
so I do not have to remove the crossbow, cock it, then reinstall and align it again before
shooting.
3)crossbows with the large cams and the axle having a big offset, are much harder to
cock when nearing the fully cocked position. This is similar to a vertical bow with a high
let off. Once one gets over the hump of those cams, the vertical bow is easier to cock
and reduces holding weight. The vertical bow or crossbow with the large cams and offset
axle is where a lot of speed is generated.
4)if one has had shoulder or back injuries or even as they get older, their body is not as
strong as in the younger days, a crank cocking device is very helpful.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at that design of the handle, I would pull the knot up and fit the rope in

not except a plug in crank, I modified them so they would. I have a few reasons for
1)it is more accurate. Using the rope cocker is faster but near the fully cocked position,
one may pull harder on one side, off setting the center of the bowstring in the arrow latch

2)my crossbows are all mounted in a high quality rifle jig when tuning for target shooting
so I do not have to remove the crossbow, cock it, then reinstall and align it again before
shooting.
3)crossbows with the large cams and the axle having a big offset, are much harder to
cock when nearing the fully cocked position. This is similar to a vertical bow with a high
let off. Once one gets over the hump of those cams, the vertical bow is easier to cock
and reduces holding weight. The vertical bow or crossbow with the large cams and offset
4)if one has had shoulder or back injuries or even as they get older, their body is not as

Take care.
Bunnyrabbit,

you make a lot of very valid points and I'm going to have to follow your advice!

I will be getting a crank cocking device as soon as I have the funds to do so.

Thank you!

God Bless,

Jake

·
4,180 Posts
Mine are just like in your pic. I also shorten the rope enough to have tension on the string at brace. Excaliburs i shorten it a bit more making the bow a little easier to cock. In 14 years and 1,000's of times cocking and uncocking bows i have never had a handle/rope connection fail.

I also put the open part of the hooks pointing out or away from me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine are just like in your pic. I also shorten the rope enough to have tension on the string at brace. Excaliburs i shorten it a bit more making the bow a little easier to cock. In 14 years and 1,000's of times cocking and uncocking bows i have never had a handle/rope connection fail.

I also put the open part of the hooks pointing out or away from me.
At rest, the crossbow string rests against the string stoppers, but after putting an extra knot in each end of the rope, and putting the hooks on the string, the string now sits 5/8" away from the string stoppers. Is this too much tension? One things for sure, carrying the rope cocker on the crossbow this way, it will NEVER slip off! 😁

God Bless,

Jake

·
4,180 Posts
At rest, the crossbow string rests against the string stoppers, but after putting an extra knot in each end of the rope, and putting the hooks on the string, the string now sits 5/8" away from the string stoppers. Is this too much tension? One things for sure, carrying the rope cocker on the crossbow this way, it will NEVER slip off! 😁

God Bless,

Jake
Sounds good

Something i do is. You know like you tie a overhand knot. I do the same but take 2 wraps then tighten up. This gives a little bigger and longer knot that still fits in the handle hole.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

God Bless,

Jake
As long as it's easy to hook up, the distance makes little difference, other than less rope to pull!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not really easy to hook up, and the knot's are as close together as possible. Never realized just how much rope those two little knot's used up!

God Bless,

Jake

·
I shoot an Adjustable Track Spirit Crossbow and a Mission Sub-1
64 Posts

shooting.

Take care.
From a competition point of view and cocking the crossbow by hand, best practice is to mark the string, either in the center but easier to see if you mark it on one side or other where it touches the side of the rail. That way you can see if it is pulled back straight or not. With the lower poundage target crossbows you can adjust by pulling up on one limb or the other to get back to center. on the higher powered compound xbows, good question.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From a competition point of view and cocking the crossbow by hand, best practice is to mark the string, either in the center but easier to see if you mark it on one side or other where it touches the side of the rail. That way you can see if it is pulled back straight or not. With the lower poundage target crossbows you can adjust by pulling up on one limb or the other to get back to center. on the higher powered compound xbows, good question.
Good idea marking the string.

I see that I am going to have to go to a crank cocking device, as I pulled my right shoulder out of socket yesterday. Didn't hurt too bad, but when I went to put it back in place, I saw stars!

Like my uncle told me one time - getting old is not for wimps!

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

I see that I am going to have to go to a crank cocking device, as I pulled my right shoulder out of socket yesterday. Didn't hurt too bad, but when I went to put it back in place, I saw stars!

God Bless,

Jake
Dang that is rough. Take care of yourself and don’t make the injury worse. You might be able to do exercises and strengthen the muscles to prevent this but definitely have to get that Crank sooner then later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang that is rough. Take care of yourself and don’t make the injury worse. You might be able to do exercises and strengthen the muscles to prevent this but definitely have to get that Crank sooner then later.
With my arthritis, sadly, I am unable to do muscle strengthening exercises. I put my arm in a sling to help keep my shoulder in place, and keep going doing what I can...

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

God Bless,

Jake
My "like" was only for your Uncle's quote. I hope your shoulder heals quickly. A good excuse to put that crank buy a priority.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts