Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two Centerpoint 370 snipers for Christmas, one for my wife.
She is new to crossbows but is very safety conscious (she is a pilot).
She is very short and could not use the rope cocker as she does not have
the height to follow thru on the cocking. She is strong enough but just not tall enough.
I bought her a crank cocker (Centerpoint Power Draw).
I showed her how it works and watched very carefully on her first attempts. Everything went very smoothly.
She has used this on four or five target shooting session with out any issue. probably 75+ shots

Yesterday, we went out to practice. She put the crank on, set the sled and centered it. She cranked the string and i heard the loud click indicated it had cocked.

She went to release the sled, the bow fired and of course spun the handle striking her in her right hand. Luckily no broken bones. Just swelling and bruising. It just goes to show you no matter how safe that you are, crap can happen.

I was on the right hand side and i don't know it the anti fire switch was hit or what exactly happened.

Needless to say I rope cocked her xbow for her the rest of the morning as she did not quit, but kept shooting.

I might add as a newbie I don't want want her shooting at me she will hit the target, one inch groups at 15 yrds.

Remember accidents can happen so be careful out there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
glad she's ok, and didn't give up the bow.

Reactions: JOE PA and JMCulver

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Good note JM and thanks for sharing.

The Cocking Preparation switch would not by itself release the trigger. If it was held and the trigger pulled with no arrow loaded, it would release.

I'm not sure what the loud click was but my guess is that the xbow was never actually cocked and the crank sled was holding the string. When she pressed the button on the crank to release the sled, it free-wheeled. And that's just a guess from what you have described. The important thing is I'm very happy to hear that she didn't get hurt badly. Cudos to her for staying with it too!

Call me Mr. Obvious but I'll say it anyway..... On ALL crossbows, EVERY time, the user has to visually check the SAFETY switch to see that the string is fully seated in the trigger mechanism and the SAFETY is in the proper position. It's easy to take that for granted but these are mechanical devices which can fail if not set exactly as they should and of course they have potential to cause an accident.

The best of luck going forward and keep us updated if you discover anything new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good note JM and thanks for sharing.

The Cocking Preparation switch would not by itself release the trigger. If it was held and the trigger pulled with no arrow loaded, it would release.

I'm not sure what the loud click was but my guess is that the xbow was never actually cocked and the crank sled was holding the string. When she pressed the button on the crank to release the sled, it free-wheeled. And that's just a guess from what you have described. The important thing is I'm very happy to hear that she didn't get hurt badly. Cudos to her for staying with it too!

Call me Mr. Obvious but I'll say it anyway..... On ALL crossbows, EVERY time, the user has to visually check the SAFETY switch to see that the string is fully seated in the trigger mechanism and the SAFETY is in the proper position. It's easy to take that for granted but these are mechanical devices which can fail if not set exactly as they should and of course they have potential to cause an accident.

The best of luck going forward and keep us updated if you discover anything new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Joey will be sure to check that safety from now on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear she is OK! :)
Thanks, her hand is the prettiest shade of purple today and still sore but she was able to help me build the new shooting table today.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Glad she didn't have any broken bones. Hope the swelling goes down and the color comes back soon.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
the height to follow thru on the cocking. She is strong enough but just not tall enough.
I bought her a crank cocker (Centerpoint Power Draw).
I showed her how it works and watched very carefully on her first attempts. Everything went very smoothly.
She has used this on four or five target shooting session with out any issue. probably 75+ shots

Yesterday, we went out to practice. She put the crank on, set the sled and centered it. She cranked the string and i heard the loud click indicated it had cocked.

She went to release the sled, the bow fired and of course spun the handle striking her in her right hand. Luckily no broken bones. Just swelling and bruising. It just goes to show you no matter how safe that you are, crap can happen.

I was on the right hand side and i don't know it the anti fire switch was hit or what exactly happened.

Needless to say I rope cocked her xbow for her the rest of the morning as she did not quit, but kept shooting.

I might add as a newbie I don't want want her shooting at me she will hit the target, one inch groups at 15 yrds.

Remember accidents can happen so be careful out there.
I hope she is ok and the accident can never happen again.

BEWARE!!! The Sniper can be cocked without setting the ADF or safety.

I know from experience what happened. It is very likely the ADF and safety didn't set with the cocking.

I sponsored a thread on this a couple years back when I owned a Sniper.

One day I was practicing target shooting with the Sniper. I was working on accuracy and making a good rope cock. I would pull slowly and listen for the clicking action when I cocked the just as you said.

"She cranked the string and i heard the loud click indicated it had cocked."

When I heard the latches click into position I assumed the Sniper was cocked and safe. Then I set the bow in Sled for firing position. I did some adjustment to the scope turret then proceeded to shoot the bow. When I took aim and touched the trigger it when off without me touching the safety. Poow! A dry fire occurred. I wondered how could it happen since I didn't load an arrow.

Finally at night during as I was thinking it dawn on me. So I when to garage to cock the bow the same way as when I was target shooting. When I pulled the cocking rope I heard the first click then stopped. When I looked the safety and ADF where not set.

So there is the problem it is possible to cock the bow like I did slowly pulling it to the first click and stopping. Or as your wife did with a crank cocker.

The correct way CP intended for the Sniper to be cocked is to pull or crank until the actions stopped against the hard upright a good 1/4" farther which produces another 2nd click after pushing the lever which sets the ADF and safety.

I informed CP of this and demonstrated what needed to be done to correct the oversight but they are still selling unsafe crossbows. That is one reason I moved on to the KI Ripper.

I also recently brought CP Spectre375. It doesn't have the ADF lever and the action is closer which makes it impossible to latch/cock the bow without setting the ADF action and safety.

You all can also search these threads and fine the one I mentioned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya better buy her a smoke'n big wad of flowers, dude!! Just say'n! LOL!
Ya know how few women would do all that!!!?
Bought her a new scope for her centerpoint in lieu of flowers, and from the bench shooting 1" groups. She's not a "giver upper". If the weather would cooperate we'd be getting in a lot more shooting. Thanks for the nice comment.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Bought her a new scope for her centerpoint in lieu of flowers, and from the bench shooting 1" groups. She's not a "giver upper". If the weather would cooperate we'd be getting in a lot more shooting. Thanks for the nice comment.
Man, I hope she recovers fast and gets back out to shoot.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
When I still had the 150# limbs on my Ventilator, the rope handles ended up in my armpits because of my rather long arms. So I made this platform short technically shortened my draw length but about 5”.

Eventually I replace the limbs with 125# ones from Wyverns.

Iron Wheel Vehicle Bow Metal
Table Furniture

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.