Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most harnesses are made so that instead of a hard jolt when you hit the end of the rope after a fall they ''unravel'' a sewed together strap. at least you're alive but maybe hanging there until someone comes to help. some guys are fit enough to climb the rope or by sheer strength get themselves out of the fix. i was once but at 70 no way today.
my real question is has anyone dealt with the fact that as the harness ''unravels'' and that one way slip knot some use is now out of reach as the harness got a foot longer where it connects to the safety rope.''muscling up''the rope to that knot is a dream [know it or not] for most of us.

·
Registered
262 Posts
First off. Your still going to get a huge jolt to your body even with the break away section of the tie in strap.

Best thing to do is buy yourself a treestand wingman.

Severely reduces the forces the body fills when a fall happens and safely lowers you back to the ground.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Treestand Wingman! You can lower yourself to the ground and don’t have to worry about being able to reach the prussic knot. I guess you could carry an extra piece of rope in your pocket with a foot loop in it to use as a temporary safety line to reach the prussic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
the treestand wingman looks like it has potential. the big question in my original post was how do you reach that one way slip knot.
Well you typically pull yourself up to it. But the vast majority of people dont have the upper body strength or the necessary training and cool headedness too do it.

With the treestand wingman. It automatically lowers you to the ground and its reusable.

Hope this helps sir.

·
Registered
RDX 400, Nitro 505 w/Oracle X
90 Posts
I’ll take a wild guess your hunting from a tree stand vs a climber stand. At 70 i decided the only use for my climber was as a fixed stand, safely secured and I use hang on ladders to reach it. The reduced impact of a tear away is a jolt, but much better than hitting the ground. Given that I’m always within arms reach of a tree stand ladder, a hang-on ladder or the hanging line, I feel I’m always within reach of a way to safely get down. Everyone has to assess risks and decide their tolerance or risk. The wingman videos do make it look like a nice option to consider

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My profession required me to wear fall arrest equipment on a semi daily basis depending on the job layout I was working on. Even through training I can tell you if you wear something that is tethered in the middle of your back you are in for a circus trying to self-rescue in the event of a fall. I went to a rock climbing harness years ago only because 1) you can test it( its not a one and done harness) I have hoisted myself up in my deer skinning tree in the back yard and read the entire morning paper with no ill effects, in fact it was pretty comfortable 2) because you attach your life line to your belt buckle area, self rescue is much easier because of the tree contact. 3) They are lighter and much more comfortable. I don't hunt from hang on stands too much only for the fact I never cared for the idea if being impaled on a foot rest if I had a fall. I prefer climbers just for the added safety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts