Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have set myself a challenge for the remainder of 2020. Same hole accuracy using one arrow shot 3 time out to 60 yards.

I know I'm capable with this setup of one hole accuracy at just 20 yards but as I go out beyond that it becomes more difficult.

I'm assuming it's all about consistency in all aspects. Arrow, bow and myself. I have eliminated the arrow variables by using just one. I try to pay close attention to how I cock the bow. Also to how I load the arrow. Finally cheek hold, sight window through the scope and trigger form. Along with how I grip and shoulder the bow.

I'm working with some limitations (excuses lol) it is a budget bow PSE Thrive 365. The scope is only 4x though not a huge issue out to 60y. The Arrow's or arrow in this case is a techhunter 0.03 but I'm finding them ok for the price. Wind is something I need to keep tabs on and try and shoot in calm conditions.

I'm using 5 inch airgun targets as I have a stack of them. The black 6 -10 ring is 2 1/2 inches and the 9 ring is 1 inch with a 1/2 inch 10 ring.

I want every shot in that 10 ring.As it's about the same diameter as the arrow. It might be to optimistic but can't hurt trying.

Today's results 3 shot group 2 shots in the 8 ring and one in the 9 ring. I'm sure it's me not the equipment.

I Will keep posting to this thread to update and will try and shoot a new 3 shot target face each day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had a look at the box of targets there's 68 targets in the box to try with. At the end of the day if I don't have one with just one hole I can live with that. What I will have is a lot of identical targets faces shot with the same combination and some kind of overlay of the spread could be shown.

Though would be a awesome feeling see that one hole 3 shot.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
A level bubble on the crossbow will make an improvement as it will show if one is canting or tilting the crossbow.
The thickness of the line on the bubble can make a difference the farther one shoots.
If hand cocking the crossbow, in the uncocked position, mark the bow string on each side of the rail with white out.
When the crossbow is cocked, these marks should be equidistant from the center of the arrow groove.
Target shooting, lighter and shorter arrows increase the speed in feet per second and will have a flatter trajectory.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It may help you to try concentrating on your trigger pull.....slow and steady pull. I have found if I pull the trigger in a "quick" fashion accuracy fails....:cool:
A heavier arrow will help wind drift.

Good luck to U...

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
It may help you to try concentrating on your trigger pull.....slow and steady pull. I have found if I pull the trigger in a "quick" fashion accuracy fails....:cool:
A heavier arrow will help wind drift.

Good luck to U...
You just hit on my problem. I have no idea why but at 20 or 30 yards I can bust nocks but at longer ranges I tend to slap the trigger.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I have set myself a challenge for the remainder of 2020. Same hole accuracy using one arrow shot 3 time out to 60 yards.

I know I'm capable with this setup of one hole accuracy at just 20 yards but as I go out beyond that it becomes more difficult.

I'm assuming it's all about consistency in all aspects. Arrow, bow and myself. I have eliminated the arrow variables by using just one. I try to pay close attention to how I cock the bow. Also to how I load the arrow. Finally cheek hold, sight window through the scope and trigger form. Along with how I grip and shoulder the bow.

I'm working with some limitations (excuses lol) it is a budget bow PSE Thrive 365. The scope is only 4x though not a huge issue out to 60y. The Arrow's or arrow in this case is a techhunter 0.03 but I'm finding them ok for the price. Wind is something I need to keep tabs on and try and shoot in calm conditions.

I'm using 5 inch airgun targets as I have a stack of them. The black 6 -10 ring is 2 1/2 inches and the 9 ring is 1 inch with a 1/2 inch 10 ring.

I want every shot in that 10 ring.As it's about the same diameter as the arrow. It might be to optimistic but can't hurt trying.

Today's results 3 shot group 2 shots in the 8 ring and one in the 9 ring. I'm sure it's me not the equipment.

I Will keep posting to this thread to update and will try and shoot a new 3 shot target face each day.

View attachment 180247
View attachment 180248
View attachment 180249
View attachment 180250
Good on you and you can't do it if you don't try. Shoot on!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have a go at marking the string today. My trigger is very avarage given it's a entry level bow. Although you almost need a boat winch to get it moving and the first part it a little gritty and inconsistent if you keep slowly squeezing it's a ugly process but it gets to a point we're it's tinkering on going off. Almost like you can feel pressure required to hold it there drops off.

It's at this point I'm just focused on holding the perfect sight picture as I squeeze that last 2% out of the trigger. Surprisingly that part of the trigger release feel good.

Arrows are 20 inch ,100gn points 422gn total weight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today's results....little disappointed. Though it was cold this morning and perhaps I rushed. I do have a scope upgrade more magnification planed soon so will be interesting to see if that helps. 4x magnification is not much at 60. Even at 4x I should be able to do way better than today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Too many variables. You are making great groups, but even a bit of off tension when cocking the bow will move the arrow.
Archery is doing the same thing every time, but that is a quest.
Have fun

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes it's a Lofty goal for me but I guess that's part of the reason why we shoot bows for the extra challenges.

I fitted the new scope it's a rifle scope but really all that's available locally. It's still nothing fancy just a entry level Bushnell but it has the features I was looking for.

Higher magnification than 4x . It has 3.5x up to 10x zoom. Adjustable parralex down to 8 yards and good parralex spacing and indications out to 100 yards for quick focus reference. 25mm tube so I can use same mounts.

Even though it's a budget scope the glass is 100x better than the scope my bow came with. Eye relief is way better along with the turrets not feeling terrible and perhaps not holding true over time.

It's a longer scope than a typical crossbow cope so has to be mounted forward on the rail. I plan to bring it back somewhat as I had intended to fit a stock but pad as the bow has always been a little short for my liking when shouldering.

This style of scope will require a jacking plate (hha dial) for elevation adjustment but for now I have sighted it in at 30 yards. I figured this makes the bow usable for the time being for target shooting at 30y but I can still hunt with holdover - under from 20 - 40. Untill I can save for the hha mount.

Then I can try the 60y challenge again as I don't think I would have the elevation adjustment in the scope for 60y without different mounts.

Results at 30y one hole challenge. I shot my 3 shots took the photo then shot another 3 shots for total of 6 shots at the one target face 2nd photo. Results below

First 3 shots at 30y

IMG_20200618_163606.jpg

6 shots all up. 22lr shell in shot for size reference

Attachments

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
You will find that scope makes a big difference.
I have two crossbows set up with the Bushnell AR223 3 x 12 x 40 Drop Zone with the side parallax
adjustment. The scope is rated up to 600 yards. The HHA Optimizer is another excellent up grade for
long range target shooting.

I have a couple scopes with the speed dial. If one looks on the back side some of these show the power.
My opinion is the speed dial is a sales pitch. If I require magnification, I will purchase the properly designed
one and use the HHA Optimizer. Providing the crossbow is properly tuned and using the same arrow-point
combination weight, a crossbow can be deadly accurate. Shooting multiple arrow-point combinations, I use
the same tape but carry a log book recording different measured distances and arrow-point combinations for
those distances. Any tuning, these measurements will change. All distances are tape measured out. Target
shooting, I want the best possible accuracy I can obtain. The crossbow is mounted in a high quality rifle jig
with level bubbles on the crossbow and the rifle jig.

After tuning a crossbow this way, with no wind, any error is the shooter.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's good to know your happy that style of scope.

I do like the single retical. It's reasonably thick for a rifle scope but perfect for Crossbow distances. Should be fine in lower light hunting without any illumination that I found a little gimicky anyhow on my old scope.

That side adjustable parralax on your model would be a little nicer as it's a little easier to reach without taking your eyes of the scope. Though I did get us to rotating the front by feel and just watching for focus.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts