Crossbow Nation banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I really like the scope mount on the Ravin R26 & R29 fully supported at the front and back.

Didn't get any shooting done today. Though I did manage to sell a old telescope that was just gathering dust now days. So plenty of funds now for a jacking plate for my xbow and perhaps some more Goody's for it. Then I can get back to the 60 yard challenge.

A good hunting blind for the back padocs would be nice to.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I really like the scope mount on the Ravin R26 & R29 fully supported at the front and back.
... Though I did manage to sell a old telescope that was just gathering dust now days. ..
Agreed, it is a solid scope mount.
I have to remind the Kids not to lift the Ravin from there.
Funny, I sold a Celestron C1100 Edge HD SCT scope with CGEM DX Mount and Tripod, a LUNT 1800 Solar Scope and all kinds of TeleVue ETHOS and Celestron AXIOM EPs to help fund our excursion into xbows!

·
8,125 Posts
You do realize that it was the original company that had all the problems and they are gone and the company is under new ownership. I have not seen any problems since the company was sold. Am I missing something?
Marketing … and advertising still the same?

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes this was a celestron nextstar 8se. Held it's value well.

My wife got all excited over the sale and started poking around at what other treasured items if mine could be sold off from the man cave.

Had to put things into perspective and list off a bunch of her Hobbie items that would fetch great money.......that put a stop to that conversation real fast.

Seriously though archery has always been a part of my life from a kid onwards. I think the passions that stick around are worth investing in.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Marketing … and advertising still the same?
View attachment 180607
today the accuracy is an overplay.

Farm deer shooting a $500 Man Kung BearX Constrictor with +/-.003 blood sport arrows at 100 yards. It all gets back to tuning, practice and the Indian and no he's not using a rifle. :p

100yards!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Yes this was a celestron nextstar 8se. Held it's value well.My wife got all excited over the sale and started poking around at what other treasured items if mine could be sold off from the man cave.
Had to put things into perspective and list off a bunch of her Hobbie items that would fetch great money.......that put a stop to that conversation real fast.
Seriously though archery has always been a part of my life from a kid onwards. I think the passions that stick around are worth it investing in.
Yup, a little digression...astronomy has always been a hobby of mine but that C1100 setup in total weighs upwards of 120# and I don't have the strength anymore.
Add the fact that we are now living in a Bortle 7/8 zone and imaging takes hours if not longer for a decent pic :(
Anyway, same thing here, whenever the Wife brings up my "stuff", I mention her clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelry, face creams, body lotions, shampoos, bubble bath beads, etc, etc, etc and she clams up real quick.
Ok, enough chit chat, back on track and let the shooting continue!

Reactions: kurtthrun

·
8,125 Posts
Yes this was a celestron nextstar 8se. Held it's value well.

My wife got all excited over the sale and started poking around at what other treasured items if mine could be sold off from the man cave.

Seriously though archery has always been a part of my life from a kid onwards. I think the passions that stick around are worth investing in.
That's funny ...lol "Female Logic." We'll never understand! Unfortunately they're smarter than us so we're always reacting instead of acting. You can't win a defensive war. :oops: :p
I found this manual on how to understand women!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Couple questions:
#1. "Natural lateral nock movement," I assume is cam induced?
#2. Wouldn't there be a number of variables involved from nock to nock and arrow to arrow?

I never said that Ravins aren't shooters or have some good characteristics. Just think the company is reprehensible. :)
Duke,
I don't believe lateral nock movement on a crossbow is cam induced because all cams are CNC machined.
It's rather easy to make a mirror image of a cam CAD file and download to a CNC machine.
However, Ravins unlike most other crossbow manufacturers are advocates of more powerful limbs with shorter power strokes. Hence, it's more important that limb strength be matched and this becomes the challenge for Ravin.
Any mismatch in limb strength leads to lateral nock travel in any crossbow but is amplified in a Ravin because of it's railless design combined with more powerful limbs. Hence to fix this, you need a way to first recognize the limbs are slightly mismatched and second, to know how much to offset cam rotation to correct for it.
Since a Ravin has no rail channel to guide the arrow, if you can reduce or even eliminate lateral nock travel, you have a opportunity to shoot a crossbow that will literally shoot the same arrow in the same hole at practically any distance. You just need a good arrow and a good shooter.

As far as your thoughts on Ravin, I'm not sure you are aware of what really happened to cause some of their early problems with the R15. With more powerful limbs, the loading on the trigger assembly goes up exponentially as the limbs are more preloaded. This means if aftermarket strings are installed that decrease the crossbow's ATA, you can quickly reach the design limits of the trigger assembly. Based on real first hand and private conversations with some folks who owned R15s, this appeared to be a common theme.

Ravin clearly stated that any strings other than their string would void your warranty but many folks chose to ignore this warning. It was also very obvious to me that their white nocks could easily cause a partial dry fire situation because they fit way too loose for a railless crossbow design.
They recalled the nocks but chose to not recall the trigger assembly. I suspect this was because it took a significant amount of design effort to beef up the trigger assembly. In addition, if you followed their warning and did not install aftermarket strings, the existing trigger assembly could handle the load. There very well could have been other production QA issues that some conjectured but as Robert has said, it's a mute point now since the original Ravin folks were bought out.

Duke, my question to you is 'What would you have done in this situation?'

I can tell you this for sure. My Ravins have totally spoiled me because after i've learned how to tune them, I expect to be able to hit a 1/2" dot up to and including 50 yds. If I don't, I'm pissed at myself because I know the crossbow can do it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good bolts, tuned Ravin with correct string and cable setup= death to white tails, and some nice long range accuracy. I have witnessed first hand. Bows were advertised to shoot 3” hundred yard groups. You get some matched bolts you can easily cut that 3” groups in half.
User will see some 1” groups at 100 yards too. Maybe a tad smaller. So for deer hunting very ample accuracy. When you handle a R29 in a blind or treestand be hard to use anything else. You can hold that bow on a deer that walking, browsing, or hides behind cover, when they step out DOOM. Had my best year last year. Like shooting fish out of a barrel. Forty yard shots ever so easy. Don’t even have to concentrate. Yeah sounds like I work for Ravin, right? No I don’t. I know a good whitetail setup though. I hate heavy crossbows. Deer are so uncanny and this R29 is the dream for me.

·
8,125 Posts
Duke,
I don't believe lateral nock movement on a crossbow is cam induced because all cams are CNC machined.
It's rather easy to make a mirror image of a cam CAD file and download to a CNC machine.
However, Ravins unlike most other crossbow manufacturers are advocates of more powerful limbs with shorter power strokes. Hence, it's more important that limb strength be matched and this becomes the challenge for Ravin.
Any mismatch in limb strength leads to lateral nock travel in any crossbow but is amplified in a Ravin because of it's railless design combined with more powerful limbs. Hence to fix this, you need a way to first recognize the limbs are slightly mismatched and second, to know how much to offset cam rotation to correct for it.
Since a Ravin has no rail channel to guide the arrow, if you can reduce or even eliminate lateral nock travel, you have a opportunity to shoot a crossbow that will literally shoot the same arrow in the same hole at practically any distance. You just need a good arrow and a good shooter.

As far as your thoughts on Ravin, I'm not sure you are aware of what really happened to cause some of their early problems with the R15. With more powerful limbs, the loading on the trigger assembly goes up exponentially as the limbs are more preloaded. This means if aftermarket strings are installed that decrease the crossbow's ATA, you can quickly reach the design limits of the trigger assembly. Based on real first hand and private conversations with some folks who owned R15s, this appeared to be a common theme.

Ravin clearly stated that any strings other than their string would void your warranty but many folks chose to ignore this warning. It was also very obvious to me that their white nocks could easily cause a partial dry fire situation because they fit way too loose for a railless crossbow design.
They recalled the nocks but chose to not recall the trigger assembly. I suspect this was because it took a significant amount of design effort to beef up the trigger assembly. In addition, if you followed their warning and did not install aftermarket strings, the existing trigger assembly could handle the load. There very well could have been other production QA issues that some conjectured but as Robert has said, it's a mute point now since the original Ravin folks were bought out.

Duke, my question to you is 'What would you have done in this situation?'

I can tell you this for sure. My Ravins have totally spoiled me because after i've learned how to tune them, I expect to be able to hit a 1/2" dot up to and including 50 yds. If I don't, I'm pissed at myself because I know the crossbow can do it.
Couple thoughts:
#1. I don't hold Ravin's feet to the fire over initial problems. many, if not most, new introductions have issues. It's more about how those issues are handled in my mind.
#2. Forgot about Ravin being railess and how that would additionally promote side play without the slot to mitigate an issue. (y)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Nice shooting gents.
After a fine tune up and installing a CCD on my Bear constrictor, been shooting out to 100 daily.
I'm not hole in hole but for Bloodsport .003" arrows, I'm happy.
FD
Gee,i don,know FD. You sure your gonna be able to hit a deer with that xbow?;) that is outstanding accuracy.

·
8,125 Posts
The only issue I have a times is FALLING asleep. However, my wife sez my snoring sound like a grunt, calls them in.....:sleep:
I laid … back in my pickup bed years ago at lunchtime in a guy's driveway on this couple thousand acres we managed. Think it was around noon, sun beating down, cool temps. I never nap. Fell asleep...lol Woke up to a deer staring right at me directly between my legs about 15 yards away on the lawn. My vertical bow alongside of me. Kinda funny with me laying there trying to figure out how to sit up, reach for the bow, raise the bow, draw the bow, and kill the deer. As if there actually WAS a way to pull that off???...lol It would have had to be the most retarded deer in the forest. Needless to say it wasn't retarded at all. The second I raised my head, let alone my torso, the deer scampered off laughing hysterically. Worse than that, I could hear a bunch more guffaws when it reached it's friends. I swear I heard them slapping their knees in tears. I didn't hunt that stand the rest of the season; too embarrassed. Changed my favorite hat and went to a Ghillie suit so I couldn't be recognized.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I laid … back in my pickup bed years ago at lunchtime in a guy's driveway on this couple thousand acres we managed. Think it was around noon, sun beating down, cool temps. I never nap. Fell asleep...lol Woke up to a deer staring right at me directly between my legs about 15 yards away on the lawn. My vertical bow alongside of me. Kinda funny with me laying there trying to figure out how to sit up, reach for the bow, raise the bow, draw the bow, and kill the deer. As if there actually WAS a way to pull that off???...lol It would have had to be the most retarded deer in the forest. Needless to say it wasn't retarded at all. The second I raised my head, let alone my torso, the deer scampered off laughing hysterically. Worse than that, I could hear a bunch more guffaws when it reached it's friends. I swear I heard them slapping their knees in tears. I didn't hunt that stand the rest of the season; too embarrassed. Changed my favorite hat and went to a Ghillie suit so I couldn't be recognized.
Had that moment in the woods last year with an eight point looking right at me. Yea, the paradox in play. I was a deer in head lights at that moment thinking the same thing. Busted! :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Are the pics of the 3 shot group 100y.?

If they are that's crazy particularly for 3 different Arrow's.

I don't think I could find a aim point to hold to that tight at 100. Even with 10x scope. Will soon find out when I get my HHA.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The HHA will make a big difference. Then if you can set the crossbow up in
a high quality rifle jig and tune it for accuracy. After that it is just the shooter.

All the best.
Take care.

101 - 120 of 167 Posts