Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Nice shooting gents.
After a fine tune up and installing a CCD on my Bear constrictor, been shooting out to 100 daily.
I'm not hole in hole but for Bloodsport .003" arrows, I'm happy.
FD
If that's a 100 yd. 3 consecutive arrow group, my hat's off to you. It's a challenge anytime but really a challenge unless you have calm winds.
My experience has been that .003 arrows can group just as well as .001 arrows. I've measured the straightness of many so called .001 arrows and found them to be closer to .002 and even .003 straightness. Likewise, I measured .003 arrows that are closer to .002 straightness. In other words, arrow straightness can be very misleading.
My experience has revealed that arrow spine consistency is what matters most followed by weight consistency. But if you have your own spine tester and make up your own arrows, you'd be foolish not to spine index them as well.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Are the pics of the 3 shot group 100y.?

If they are that's crazy particularly for 3 different Arrow's.

I don't think I could find a aim point to hold to that tight at 100. Even with 10x scope. Will soon find out when I get my HHA.
All things bring equal tuned and a really good trigger. You put a 3-9x32 single reticle scope on a HHA you will shocked at the accuracy with that type of setup.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
If that's a 100 yd. 3 consecutive arrow group, my hat's off to you. It's a challenge anytime but really a challenge unless you have calm winds.
My experience has been that .003 arrows can group just as well as .001 arrows. I've measured the straightness of many so called .001 arrows and found them to be closer to .002 and even .003 straightness. Likewise, I measured .003 arrows that are closer to .002 straightness. In other words, arrow straightness can be very misleading.
My experience has revealed that arrow spine consistency is what matters most followed by weight consistency. But if you have your own spine tester and make up your own arrows, you'd be foolish not to spine index them as well.
Go check the BloodSport 100 yard challenge in arrow forum. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
My only concern before I order a HHA is fitment clearances.

The older style HHA just with the updated 100 yard tapes. Is the only one available locally to me.

Even then it has to be ordered from a shop interstate 1500 miles away.

So a test fitment is out of the question.

Is the clearance issues some crossbows have just because of some cranking system or sled Styles. Or is there other issues to consider.

My bow uses a simple hand cocking rope. From what pictures of the HHA I have looked at. It looks like I should be able to mount the HHA back enough for the wheel to be out the way.

Is there any measurements or pictures I could provide to see if my crossbow is going to be one that has issues mounting the HHA?

I can't find any pics online of a HHA mounted to a PSE crossbow like I have.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
My only concern before I order a HHA is fitment clearances.

The older style HHA just with the updated 100 yard tapes. Is the only one available locally to me.

Even then it has to be ordered from a shop interstate 1500 miles away.

So a test fitment is out of the question.

Is the clearance issues some crossbows have just because of some cranking system or sled Styles. Or is there other issues to consider.

My bow uses a simple hand cocking rope. From what pictures of the HHA I have looked at. It looks like I should be able to mount the HHA back enough for the wheel to be out the way.

Is there any measurements or pictures I could provide to see if my crossbow is going to be one that has issues mounting the HHA?

I can't find any pics online of a HHA mounted to a PSE crossbow like I have.
Why not ask the supplier if it will work with your xbow?
Give them the make/model # and see what they say.
Also, they offer stand-off brackets for the HHA on their website, ask your supplier as well.
Just a couple thoughts to consider...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice shooting gents.
After a fine tune up and installing a CCD on my Bear constrictor, been shooting out to 100 daily.
I'm not hole in hole but for Bloodsport .003" arrows, I'm happy.
FD
That's incredible to me. I don't know how some of you guys do this kind of shooting. I can do okay at 30, but at 50 I'm weak. 100? No way.
Hats off to you FD. Great shooting

·
Registered
214 Posts
Guys, I have played golf my entire life and as goofy as it sounds, this is the same mindset for me. Call it a Zen moment, it takes me a ton a concentration along with 25-30 shots EVERY day to shoot like this.

Let me share this with you. Yesterday I had a real :poop: day. My CNC needs a part that is in freaking Germany. This 900.00 US part is going to cost nearly 2,000.00 after all the shipping and expedite costs. Okay, enough crying.
So, I went out to shoot to relieve some frustration. WRONG thing to do. I couldn't hit a Rhino at 10 yards let alone my target at 100. Why? I took my head out of what I was doing because I wasn't thinking about shooting. Packed up my stuff and back to the house I went.

So, their are days that either you have it or you don't. Rather make adjustments to the bow to compensate for something that isn't really there, go do something else until you can relax and have fun.

Crazy old man, maybe. That's how my brain rolls.....
FD

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
FD thanks for keeping it real. That is called the human condition and gets back to the guy or gal that has to squeeze the trigger. You can optimize all day long but you have to execute. Controlling emotions is the KEY fundamental to executing after you have optimize and have confidence in your Xbow. Practice, practice, practice.

I shot yesterday for the first time and by my personal standards I was all over the place at 40 yards but still all shots were ethical dead deer kills at 40 yards. Note, I hadn't shot a Xbow since June 1st per my shot log. Yea, I'm anal I keep a shot log to see how many shots I get out of my strings. So if my shots were not up to my standards I do not let my results haunt me because I see the real window of execution a bit larger (double lung). What does consume me is optimizing my hunting experience as I get older. The CCD is a legit game changer so what you are providing to sub $550 xbow owners is quite relevant in the hunting environment.

Enjoying recreational shooting at extreme levels does one thing and one thing only. It validates all the marketing BS with Sub-1 groupings at 100 yards and shoot like a rife hype. Great for sales but has nothing to do with execution. You can be as accurate as you want with today's Xbows. Now that is not taking anything away from any Xbow. Those Xbows are stellar performers. Some Xbow may be slightly better than others but you have validated some impressive metrics with the BearX Constrictor. Note: That Xbow is $550 price range Xbow and can shoot sub 1.5" groupings on a shoot bag and table. Wow!

Me, I want at least one light Xbow to stalk wild game on western open prairie hunts. That's relevant as long as my aging body will hold up. I like the physical experience and it makes me and keeps me working hard physically to meet the challenge. That is a win/win.

Keep yourself healthy, stay around CBN you have added some great insights and explained the what and why's for guys like me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Spot on Tom. I will say that some bows manufactured have definite design flaws and some shoot like rifles. The trick is to find those 500-600 bows that do verses the ones that do not. Take the TS370 for example, I will take that bow to my grave. Now, by your recommendation I have found another bow, Bear Constrictor, that shoots like a rifle.

The honest feedback here on CBN is critical for others to make a good choice on a new bow purchase. Okay, here is my Saturday morning rant. Most, not all, manufactures seem to not want to be active on CBN. Is it because they feel they would be a whipping post for a bad product? Maybe they should if they deserve it. Is it because they don't want to own issues that need addressed? Could be. The truth will come out so why not own it, correct it and move on?

I believe the honest feedback here on CBN helps everyone make a better decision regarding price point they can afford and performance they are looking for. Guys like Bunny Rabbit, and many others, are leaders and their wisdom should be held in high regard.

Those on CBN that seem to have a pattern of "negative nanny" should chill out a bit and enjoy. It's okay to disagree but people need to do it in a respectful manner. We are all here for the same reason, enjoy the xbow experience!

As I always say, "Minds are like parachutes, They only work if they open"
FD

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
kurtthrun:
Check the width of the picatinny rail (3/4" plus). The HHA slides on this with no cross bolts
like a scope has. It has a bracket that tightens with two allen head bolts. One can slide it
anywhere on the length of the picatinny rail. Just add the scope and adjust the scope rings
for the cross bolts to fit like one normally does.

Leave a bit of clearance so the crank does not hit the dial when cocking the crossbow.

Mention was made about a spacer. What this does is move the dial out a bit farther, possibly
to give a sled more clearance. The dial only fits on the right hand side.

All the best.
Take care.

·
8,125 Posts
And here … I thought $3,000.00 bought you accuracy!:unsure::cool: And prestige...lol :p

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
And here … I thought $3,000.00 bought you accuracy!:unsure::cool: And prestige...lol :p
Duke,
I see you're at it again. You just can't resist. You remind me of my brother-in-law.
He's one of 'you know who's' poor little farmers. One of his 2 sons pulled up in my driveway last week in a brand new $50,000 Tesla and his brother was complaining that he didn't have his yet because he couldn't decide which model he wanted. His Dad has received over $1.3 million in subsidies and that doesn't count the $100,000 plus checks he received each of the last 2 years for farm bailout money. He had to rub it in by noting I only had a Chevy Bolt which was a piece of crap compared to his son's Tesla.
A $3000 crossbow would be chump change for him and you and I are paying for it. He's certainly not by himself in this category either.
But more to your point, I paid $1200 for my R9 and $1500 for my R10. Have shot the R9 exactly 1 time at 100 yds. and shot a 1" 3-arrow group so quit. Have shot my R10 exactly 2 times at 100 yds. 1 evening to sight it in and then shot a 1-1/2" group the next morning and quit. I also placed my chrono in front of the 100 yd. target for the 3rd. shot just to see how much KE my R10 delivered at 100 yds. Actually hit the 1/2" dot with that 3rd. shot and my R10 434 gr. arrow was still traveling at 331 fps at 100 yds. delivering a KE. of 105.5 ft-lbs. which according to the Realtree website would 'kill any animal on the planet'.
I have no real desire to shoot that far again but if money was on the line, I assure you being the competitive person I am, I'd practice a bunch and bet I could do better.

Previous to my Ravins, I have owned a Darton, Barnett ghost 410 and a Scorpyd Orion 135. My opinion as a retired design engineer is the Darton is a quality product as well as the Scorpyd. I can't say that about the Ghost 410. I also remember holding one of the original Bear crossbows a few years ago. All I have to say is the engineer that designed that thing must have never hunted a day in his life. It weighed a Ton and was very awkward to handle. It's nice to hear that has now changed because I always liked Bear recurves.
As is the case with anything else, technology marches on and one innovative product leads to another.
This leads to more options for every one. For me, I doubt I ever own another crossbow because my Ravins have exceeded my design criteria in every way.
Nevertheless, I'm very glad others feel the same way about their favorite crossbow because that keeps the competition on their toes.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Duke,
I see you're at it again. You just can't resist. You remind me of my brother-in-law.
He's one of 'you know who's' poor little farmers. One of his 2 sons pulled up in my driveway last week in a brand new $50,000 Tesla and his brother was complaining that he didn't have his yet because he couldn't decide which model he wanted. His Dad has received over $1.3 million in subsidies and that doesn't count the $100,000 plus checks he received each of the last 2 years for farm bailout money. He had to rub it in by noting I only had a Chevy Bolt which was a piece of crap compared to his son's Tesla.
A $3000 crossbow would be chump change for him and you and I are paying for it. He's certainly not by himself in this category either.
But more to your point, I paid $1200 for my R9 and $1500 for my R10. Have shot the R9 exactly 1 time at 100 yds. and shot a 1" 3-arrow group so quit. Have shot my R10 exactly 2 times at 100 yds. 1 evening to sight it in and then shot a 1-1/2" group the next morning and quit. I also placed my chrono in front of the 100 yd. target for the 3rd. shot just to see how much KE my R10 delivered at 100 yds. Actually hit the 1/2" dot with that 3rd. shot and my R10 434 gr. arrow was still traveling at 331 fps at 100 yds. delivering a KE. of 105.5 ft-lbs. which according to the Realtree website would 'kill any animal on the planet'.
I have no real desire to shoot that far again but if money was on the line, I assure you being the competitive person I am, I'd practice a bunch and bet I could do better.

Previous to my Ravins, I have owned a Darton, Barnett ghost 410 and a Scorpyd Orion 135. My opinion as a retired design engineer is the Darton is a quality product as well as the Scorpyd. I can't say that about the Ghost 410. I also remember holding one of the original Bear crossbows a few years ago. All I have to say is the engineer that designed that thing must have never hunted a day in his life. It weighed a Ton and was very awkward to handle. It's nice to hear that has now changed because I always liked Bear recurves.
As is the case with anything else, technology marches on and one innovative product leads to another.
This leads to more options for every one. For me, I doubt I ever own another crossbow because my Ravins have exceeded my design criteria in every way.
Nevertheless, I'm very glad others feel the same way about their favorite crossbow because that keeps the competition on their toes.
One can buy a $300 xbow and fiddle around with, it as some do here, to get silver dollar size repeatability at 40, 50 or even 100 yards.
Same as one can buy a $500, beat up shell of a 1970 Camaro and beef it up to get 12s, 1/4 mile elapsed times.
Who cares if it looks like crap, it will do what you want it to if your goal is 12s, 1/4 mile runs or shoot 1" groups at 40 yards.

On the other hand, one can spend big money on a xbow and get features and repeatability out-of-the-box, just as one can buy a Ferrari and, well, you get the picture.
I really don't understand why people squabble about xbow prices, manufacturers, arrows and just generally "mine is bigger than yours".
We are not 10 years old here.
As long as you are within your budget and you are enjoying what you are doing, who cares if you are shooting a Bear Desire XL xbow for $75, a Daisy Red Ryder or a home-made sling-shot?

Sorry Kurt, had to interject.
Do carry on with your testing and thanks for sharing your results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just love hearing my arrows hit the targets...first the arrow being spit out of my bow and then that thwwwwaaaapppp!

I'm getting ready to shooting at 40 yards now. I used cheap, worn out arrows I re-fletched after burying them in targets multiple times. You cats that can hit bullseyes at 50 plus yards...dang! many kudos to you

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well said Dynamo. This isn't about the "Jones" nor do we need to involve zippers and tape measures (you know what I mean). I could buy any crossbow on the market if I desire. I choose to buy what I personally justify. If someone wants to buy a recurve at a garage sale for 50 bucks and they are "Happy" with it then I say God bless em. Someone wants to spend 2,500 then that's their business to do so. This forum is about sharing our experiences with our xbows and not about zippers and tape measures.
Let's be a little kinder to others, you might just sleep better.
FD

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
... This forum is about sharing our experiences with our xbows and not about zippers and tape measures.
Let's be a little kinder to others, you might just sleep better...
Bingo, thank you Farm Deer.
BTW, please keep up the great work you do and thank you for sharing it with us all.
I hope your CNC part comes in from Germany sooner than expected.
Some mighty fine CAD design, part machining and final build/assembly you are doing there as well.
Cheers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Given I shoot what is considered a entry level xbow. Rebranded Asian bow with a PSE logo and support. I have seen the xbow advertised for $250 - $300 USD Online.

Why I picked this bow just came down to availability and price for me locally in Australia.

In most states in Australia a crossbow is a prohibited weapon. You can optain one still but need a special category licence for it. So I lot of people don't bother as they would prefer to just purchase a rifle if they have to go through the same hurdles. So with little demand comes little market for crossbows and shops to supply them.

In my state you a free to purchase a crossbow though you need a reason to acquire. This can be that you have land and a hunting permit (that's what I have) or are a member of a Archery club that allows the use of crossbows.

You can only purchase crossbows from a licensed dealers and you can not sell a crossbow privately used. You need to use a dealer. You cannot privately import a crossbow from over seas without being a dealer.

So what I'm. Getting at is I'm lucky my state you can purchase a crossbow but because only a hand full of dealers are in Australia. They have a manopoly on the market and can charge eye watering prices for very avarage product. Have very limited stock and pore customer service.....take it or leave it.

So I own a $300 USD bow that cost me $600 USD.

So you can see why a lot of people in Au just buy a rifle as they are more plentiful and supported at reasonable prices.

No walking into Walmart for a pare of socks and grabbing a crossbow on clearance on your way out😆

That said the licence categories have become very silly in Australia now rifles To....for example a 177 pellet gun is in the same category as a 12g shotgun requiring the same storage, licence, and peniltys if you do the wrong thing.

Yet in all states you can freely purchase any compound vertical bow at any age and it's considered no worse than a tennis racket. So a compound bow shooting 3" expandable broadheads at 350fps no prob little Jonny have fun.....just don't point it at your brother. 177 slug gun ....you my as well be buying a 50bmg!

So the rules don't represent lethality of the weapon just made up by people that have no idea and are very frustrating.

Anyhow that's my rant that might explain what we struggle with down under and why getting hold of simple things can be a challenge.

I should have my HHA by next weekend. I will continue to shooting 30 yards for now and update this thread when 60y is a option.

I should be receiving my new string and cables from Marty soon as they are on there way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You must really love the crossbow to go through all of that Kurtthrun. I will no longer gripe about how silly our laws are here. Good luck to you on the challenge. We are all pulling for ya.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts