Crossbow Nation banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the education on the Au laws. Find that very interesting. Are these controls due to paranoia of your government due to seeing to much on the news elsewhere? The US has tons of lethal weapons in comparison to other countries.

The story goes that Hitler stopped an invasion plan off the east coast of the US during the world war because, in his words: "Those crazy Americans own to many guns and we would never make it off the beach". Accurate or inaccurate, that statement holds validity.

I have to ask, what exactly do you hunt down under?

Wish you the best in your xbow experience,
FD

·
8,125 Posts
Duke,
I see you're at it again. You just can't resist. You remind me of my brother-in-law.
He's one of 'you know who's' poor little farmers. One of his 2 sons pulled up in my driveway last week in a brand new $50,000 Tesla and his brother was complaining that he didn't have his yet because he couldn't decide which model he wanted. His Dad has received over $1.3 million in subsidies and that doesn't count the $100,000 plus checks he received each of the last 2 years for farm bailout money. He had to rub it in by noting I only had a Chevy Bolt which was a piece of crap compared to his son's Tesla.
A $3000 crossbow would be chump change for him and you and I are paying for it. He's certainly not by himself in this category either.
But more to your point, I paid $1200 for my R9 and $1500 for my R10. Have shot the R9 exactly 1 time at 100 yds. and shot a 1" 3-arrow group so quit. Have shot my R10 exactly 2 times at 100 yds. 1 evening to sight it in and then shot a 1-1/2" group the next morning and quit. I also placed my chrono in front of the 100 yd. target for the 3rd. shot just to see how much KE my R10 delivered at 100 yds. Actually hit the 1/2" dot with that 3rd. shot and my R10 434 gr. arrow was still traveling at 331 fps at 100 yds. delivering a KE. of 105.5 ft-lbs. which according to the Realtree website would 'kill any animal on the planet'.
I have no real desire to shoot that far again but if money was on the line, I assure you being the competitive person I am, I'd practice a bunch and bet I could do better.

Previous to my Ravins, I have owned a Darton, Barnett ghost 410 and a Scorpyd Orion 135. My opinion as a retired design engineer is the Darton is a quality product as well as the Scorpyd. I can't say that about the Ghost 410. I also remember holding one of the original Bear crossbows a few years ago. All I have to say is the engineer that designed that thing must have never hunted a day in his life. It weighed a Ton and was very awkward to handle. It's nice to hear that has now changed because I always liked Bear recurves.
As is the case with anything else, technology marches on and one innovative product leads to another.
This leads to more options for every one. For me, I doubt I ever own another crossbow because my Ravins have exceeded my design criteria in every way.
Nevertheless, I'm very glad others feel the same way about their favorite crossbow because that keeps the competition on their toes.
Yez Realize … of course my "3k to get accuracy" post was tongue in cheek or a facetious remark ...right? :unsure::)

My Sheila's, niece's husband who's a doctor owns a Tesla. Toss in an 8,000 watt? bank of Tesla battery units in his garage. Apparently the battery pack setup was 40k and is a tax write-off for his home office. (Your tax dollars...lol) Her family doesn't care for the guy. Sounds like the same reasons your Tesla owners got panned. I seem to get along fine with him...lol When he talks about his Tesla, he loves it. He rattles off all sorts of details, data and experiences with it. I see the guy as passionate and they perhaps see him as a showoff. He's connected with the county police some way and likes firearms. He was enthusiastically showing me his AR's and pistols. Guess I was the rare party goer who could appreciate them. I'm used to guys being passionate about their "stuff." Someone says "I paid $8,000.00 for this AR15," and goes on to tell about the barrel, stock, etc., etc., it doesn't bother me at all. You can tell when a guy doesn't know what he's paying for and is a dude, vs a guy who knows what his 8k bought and is sharing his passion for quality and performance. Some guys own Ten Point Vapors for what it does, and some guys own them for the image. It's about the guy, not whether he shoots a Barnett, Bear, Scorpyd or Ravin. It's pretty clear they all kill deer and hit where you're aiming.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I don't have to many issues with gun laws In general in Au. If you want to own a rifle all you need is a gun licence. Not that hard to get basic background check and a one day course.

Then you can purchase most rifles a working man on a farm would need. Shotgun, rimfire, or centre fire. There is a small cooling off period when you purchase a gun before it's registered in your name and you can take it home.

You need to keep it in a locked safe when not in use.

So I don't feel to deprived when it comes to rifles. Pistols are a little harder to get and fully automatic guns are harder to get unless your a contract shooter for Ferrell animals to really have the need for it.

What I have a problem with is how they categories weapons in Au. Like the slug gun example I gave befor. Years ago you could go to Kmart and just buy one and plink in the back yard no licence or registration just like a toy. Now it's in the same category as a 308 or 270 What idiot had the idea that a slug gun is just the same as a high powered centre fire is anyone's guess.

And why a compound bow is treated like it's nothing leathal but a crossbow is something so dangerous.

It's people in the city that have no idea. They don't hunt have never seen a gun or shot one. Though they have big opinions and mouths influencing the politicians and rule maker's.

As for what do I hunt In Australia. I live on 200 acres that shares a boundary with my old man's 250 acres so about 450 acres to hunt on. Mix of open fields, steep valleys, Thick woodland, swamps, rocky outcrops. So it's very diverse country.

Native animals that anyone would shoot would be kangaroos, but really only shot when they become a issue with numbers and start damaging fences or eating crops.

Foxes are a problem and plentiful. Our farm has fallow deer (introduced pest) that have taken off. So no hunting limits. We also have a huge Hurd of wild goats that have got out of hand .

So I take a few deer each year as they make good eating. I have some monster size Billy goats that are a good challenge and the young females are good eating. I also have rabbits, hares and duck's.

Up north Ferrell pigs are a big issue so hunted a lot.

·
8,125 Posts
I don't have to many issues with gun laws In general in Au. If you want to own a rifle all you need is a gun licence. Not that hard to get basic background check and a one day course.

Then you can purchase most rifles a working man on a farm would need. Shotgun, rimfire, or centre fire. There is a small cooling off period when you purchase a gun before it's registered in your name and you can take it home.

You need to keep it in a locked safe when not in use.

So I don't feel to deprived when it comes to rifles. Pistols are a little harder to get and fully automatic guns are harder to get unless your a contract shooter for Ferrell animals to really have the need for it.

What I have a problem with is how they categories weapons in Au. Like the slug gun example I gave befor. Years ago you could go to Kmart and just buy one and plink in the back yard no licence or registration just like a toy. Now it's in the same category as a 308 or 270 What idiot had the idea that a slug gun is just the same as a high powered centre fire is anyone's guess.

And why a compound bow is treated like it's nothing leathal but a crossbow is something so dangerous.

It's people in the city that have no idea. They don't hunt have never seen a gun or shot one. Though they have big opinions and mouths influencing the politicians and rule maker's.

As for what do I hunt In Australia. I live on 200 acres that shares a boundary with my old man's 250 acres so about 450 acres to hunt on. Mix of open fields, steep valleys, Thick woodland, swamps, rocky outcrops. So it's very diverse country.

Native animals that anyone would shoot would be kangaroos, but really only shot when they become a issue with numbers and start damaging fences or eating crops.

Foxes are a problem and plentiful. Our farm has fallow deer (introduced pest) that have taken off. So no hunting limits. We also have a huge Hurd of wild goats that have got out of hand .

So I take a few deer each year as they make good eating. I have some monster size Billy goats that are a good challenge and the young females are good eating. I also have rabbits, hares and duck's.

Up north Ferrell pigs are a big issue so hunted a lot.
A Shootist... of great renown, I forget which one, Jeff Cooper sticks in my mind. But someone like Cooper said: "There's bout nothing more useless in this world than an empty gun." To my way of thinking a gun "locked in a safe" comes in a close second ...lol ;)

I used to buy SWAZI clothing. Liked a bunch of chopper pilots from New Zealand I worked with years ago and liked their SWAZI clothing. Last year when "Davy" the owner from SWAZI came out and supported restricting your firearm rights by publishing something like "nobody needs an AR or military type firearm," it was my last SWAZI purchase. I wrote SWAZI a letter and posted on line. (To add insult to injury, Davy then moves his operation to Vietnam of all places!!!) Part of my reason for purchasing from New Zealand was the feeling of kinship. Supporting friends and likeminded people. Can the guy be any more obtuse? My point being: You have to support your rights and fight the usurpers.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Not that hard to get basic background check and a one day course.
Combined handgun, rifle, shotgun course is 3 days (20 hours) for a Restricted (handguns) and Non-Restricted (rifles/shotguns and even pellet guns over 500fps) Possession and Acquisition License in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Nothing req'd for xbows or vertical bows.
Hunting license requires another course.
Oh the ca$h grabs I tell ya LOL!

·
8,125 Posts
Combined handgun, rifle, shotgun course is 3 days (20 hours) for a Restricted (handguns) and Non-Restricted (rifles/shotguns and even pellet guns over 500fps) Possession and Acquisition License in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Nothing req'd for xbows or vertical bows.
Hunting license requires another course.
Oh the ca$h grabs I tell ya LOL!
Bureaucracies …

Reactions: Data and dynamo61

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Hmmmm....if they truly are good men would they actually do nothing?

They're evil men, too.

·
8,125 Posts
Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto... is reputed to have lobbied against invading America after their crushing Jap attack on Pearl Harbor with the quote:
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I didn't shoot for the past few days. Huge tree fell down in a storm and have been giving the chainsaw a workout and then myself splitting and stacking it all.

Today we have a strong frontal system rolling in. We get the strong NW winds that build up stronger and stronger before the rain breaks and the winds settle. So perhaps no shooting tomorrow due to rain.

So today's shooting was in cool sunny weather but very strong NW winds (left to right direction on target. The winds were strong enough to have the arrows rolling off the table.

I shot 50 yards today in the winds. Using hold over (sight Zero at 30y) shot the arrow 3 times. Not same hole but all 3 holes where touching each other.

I was very happy with that considering the conditions and having to use significant hold over. Obviously I am
1 - 3/4" to the right due to strong cross wind.

Shot video clip of wind conditions (if you turn volume up you can get some idea of the wind)

·
8,125 Posts
Holdover … It's amusing reading of crossbowers being paranoid about their speed dial scopes and HHA Optimizers. I just shake my head and think to myself: "they know not what they do." Why take a 2-7x scope and turn it into a single magnification 4.7x scope??? You lose all the wonderful versatility and Flexibility that the Variable Scope brought to hunting & shooting. An infinite combination of field of view and bringing your target closer to you. Instead you set that scope at one magnification/field of view/light gathering setting, that much of the time isn't optimal for the conditions and situation. Holdover gives all that back to you. And if you have a target turret, you can ditch that jack plate crutch too. :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
How much elevation can you get from that target turret? I guess it depends a lot on the tube diameter of the scope.

With my xbow even sighted zero at 30y I need a fair bit of elevation adjustment for 50 or 70 yard shots.

Can you put a custom tape on the turret and get say 30y to 80y in one revolution of the turret?

Yes I really like the 3.5x power setting for bright wide Field of view for deer and like the single crosshair. 10x is great for target shooting and will be fun for head shots on rabbits and picking off foxes at longer distance.

That was one thing I didn't like about the speed ring scopes that keep accounting for faster and faster bows if you shoot a heavy arrow and have a medium speed bow your stuck at the low end of the magnification.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Got a chance to go out this morning again while parts were printing to try once again at the 60 yd. challenge.
This was the first time I've shot since last Wed. when I tried the challenge for the first time. But this time, I just decided to shoot 60 yds. rather than the 40, 50, 60 like last week because my Spyderweb target was already at 60.
Man, the wind was all over the place and 1 arrow went left and the next right but I was still shooting high like last week. So I bumped the speed ring on my Hawke 2-8-36 XB-30 compact from 395 to 400 and got ready to pack it up for the day. Then to my amazement, the winds calmed down. Well I said crap, take that quiver back off and try again with a fresh cardboard target.
Well as you can see, it's not 3 consecutive arrows in the same hole but it Ain't Far Off. At least all 3 arrow holes were touching each other so I'm making progress.

Kurt,
I hear your concern about magnification with a slower crossbow but I've found a HHA or Jackplate has it's disadvantages as well. Anytime you raise the scope further than absolutely necessary, you introduce windage error. It's just physics. Keep plugging and thanks a bunch for this thread.

Also for all of your guys who own the original Ravin R9, I urge you to hold on to it. That little sucker can shoot and it's still lightweight because it's the only Ravin with the lighter weight limbs. It will be a collector's item one day for sure.

BTW, for those wondering, I do not use a sled of any type. This is just shooting from a bench with the bow riser sitting on a piece of foam and a sponge under the pistol grip for a right hand rest. I've found that Ravins need a light hold so the shooter introduces minimal influence on the shot. All I'm doing is lightly holding the forearm with my left hand to align the bubble level.
Until nest time, have fun and go bust some more dots.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks Robert and Elno (I think).
I actually never thought I'd say this but I'm totally confident I can make one hole. It's might be a little large but it'll be one hole because I have a new glasses prescription that needs filling.
If I combine the new glasses with a little bit of good wine, look out because I just might have to say:
Just Maybe RAVINS DO SHOOT LIKE a RIFLE!!! LOL...

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Thanks Robert and Elno (I think).
I actually never thought I'd say this but I'm totally confident I can make one hole. It's might be a little large but it'll be one hole because I have a new glasses prescription that needs filling.
If I combine the new glasses with a little bit of good wine, look out because I just might have to say:
Just Maybe RAVINS DO SHOOT LIKE a RIFLE!!! LOL...
That will set Duke off again probably. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Awesome area for testing and having fun with your xbow. I live on a 1/4 (quarter) acre, so my neighbours will not be happy when I start shooting in my garden. I have to go to the range to shoot.
I´m following your thread from the beginnig to have a look, when you reach your goal. I like this "long range" practicing. My favorred challenge is to shoot freehand, try to increase my accuracy. So it will be very difficult to follow you in your challenge. So keep on sharing your way and results.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts