Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one swear by it, you do you just wash your camo in no scent and spray down with scent killer?

The only thing I use is a scent lok Head mask, other then that I was and spray and I seem to be doing ok

·
120 Posts
I have been washing my gear in scent killer, and then spraying the clothing as I get dressed. It seemed to work well, as I didn't have any deer spook becuase of smell.
On one occasion I had a mature buck about 15 yards in front of my stand munching on some apples, A porcupine came up and spooked the deer. I was surprised that he didn't hear him before.... I heard him rustling through the leaves for some time before he arrived. Any way the buck took a couple of bounds through the bush, snorted and stomped for about 10 - 15 minutes, circled partially around and came back within 15 yards to continue eating the apples. I figure after all that snorting and stomping, being on high alert and checking everything out for so long, that the scent elimination must have been working well. There was no real wind to speak of, but who know's how the thermal currents were working. It was evening and things were cooling down. I felt pretty confident of my scent elimination after that encounter.

This year I am also going to look at the scent smoker system as well.... It seems like a logical system.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
scent or cents?

Here is an earlier thread on this subject,real can of worms.

From GUIDE GIRL.

We have lazy stupid deer here in Texas. LMAO. I hunt in tennis shoes, never use scent killers since I've experimented with them and nothing works miracles or UV stuff, or attractants that come from a bottle. I did all that in the beginning and more with my clothing, laying my clothes out in the grass and the sun for a few days before I wore them. I quit. I still saw all the deer I wanted and harvested all I chased but one. Someone else shot it while I was hunting it. Honestly, I even smoke cigarrettes and it seems to be a tool when the wind starts swirling and they get jittery. Go figure? I sit alot scouting and hunting with deer in front of me and I read magazines, watch DVD's, film, take photos, and smoke cigarettes. I don't get excited or make movements that are predacious. Move slowly always. No long eye contact either. If a deer begins to look at you like your a predator, look away or down for a few and usually, they go back to grazing.
Same with hogs. In the summer when of course you sweat in the sweltering 100 plus degrees, I have hogs walk up close and personal anyway. Too close at times. If the wind is blowing an animals way, no matter, they will smell you even if you used all that store bought stuff. We have cedar trees here, so sometimes I rub my hands in the cedar and my shoes, or I rub my shoes in the deer poop before I walk. Works great. Works best actually. I only have to do that when the hunting pressure is strong. I sometimes hunt exotic deer in the summer, and I always get my deer. The exotics seem to be more leary than the whitetail. I have found that movement is the worst enemy while hunting.
Did you know that when your busted in the open by deer that if you act like your eating the grass, don't make sudden moves, they stop and stare at you without running? Did you know only certain noises spook them while other loud noises don't? Scratching your head, they spook. Coughing quietly they don't? Deer cough. It's a normal sound.
I had fun with my young crossbow huntress client this year and a buck while waiting on the truck to come get us. She didn't beleive me, so we played with this buck @ 25 yards. She was so surprised that what I was telling her was true. She had a good laugh about it.
Anyway, your right about the big boys being nocturnal. I usually shoot all my good bucks at dusk. Why go out in the morning unless the air is very cold? If the air is very cold, you'll see them moving in the mornings to stay warm, especially if they know there's corn they can consume. Corn is a hot feed.
A great attractant during cold weather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Specialized
I agree with you about all the rituals hunters go through with the sprays,scent control clothing, breath control.I have hunted most of my life and have never had a problem taking as many Deer as I wanted.I also believe Camo preference is is for the hunter,and not to look out of place to other hunters,Deer see completely different than humans.I do many of the positive things you describe .
And they work!
For many years I hunted in Rubber boots if wet,Tennis shoes if dry, blue jeans and a flannel shirt and if necessary what ever coat was available.The other thing I noticed is why do some hunters think they have to hang off a tree Thirty or forty feet in the air?I never set higher than about fifteen feet in my climbing stand.Works for me!. I think a lot of hunters make Deer hunting out to be a lot harder than it really is.
I tend to keep a lot of the fun in my hunting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I swear by Scent-Lok. I taught myself how to bow hunt many years ago. I was not really into the big scent control. After a few years of getting busted over and over again by deer, I broke down and bought me Scent-Lok. A world of difference it has made. I am completely covered head to toe now.

If you do what you are suppose to do by keeping your suit sealed up when not wearing it and heat activating it, it will work. I do not care what any so called study says and etc. It will work.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to smoke in the stand, and I have always used some kind of cover up scent. The one thing that I always use is rubber boot's, and scent killer spray but other then that, I dont think that all the gimmicks are needed IMHO

I know my grandfather hunted with Red and black checkerd coat and pants, smoked everyday and he got deer every year.

In my opinion If you take time and scout, wash your clothes try not to stand out like a sore thumb, and are quite You are going to be just as good as the next guy or gal

I had a deer so close one year to me and I was sitting in a brush pile/blind, that I could have reached out and cut her throat with a Knife, and she never knew I was there. God's honest truth

Being quite and motionless is the key in My opnion

·
11,413 Posts
I agree with Mid

I'm planning on buying some of that scent lok clothing after I've leaned to hold my breath for 4 hours while on the stand:D I personally think it's a waste of money but if you use it and believe it's doing you some good, stick with it.

I know the spray scent killer works. You can have even onion odor on your hands and this stuff instantly kills it. Good stuff!

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of trying some Old spice after shave to see if the does would come in from the great smell and hopefully her Boyfriend's would get mad and come looking for a fight:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I firmly believe it is not a waste of money. I hunt in the south where the hot temps are terrible especially during the first month of hunting. Before I used Scent-lok, I got busted all the time. Now I have been using Scent-lok for about 5 years and I can not remember the last time I have been busted, even with five does and yearlings 10 yards downwind like last year. Deer do not smell me and that is the truth. I am sure there are other contributing factors that keep me from being detected. I hunt about 25 feet up in the tree and wear rubber boats. But I rap my body in Scent-lok from head to toe. The suit, hat, mask, and gloves are worn at all times.

Now, I am sure the scent killer sprays work but I have never used them and even though I do not use them I am not going to knock the sprays like some do Scent-lok. That would be ridiculous.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No knocking the products. It is to each is there own some swear by it others hate it. I'm just looking at what everyone uses thats all
It is kinda what camo you use As long as you like it thats all that matters

Rich

·
47 Posts
I believe in Scent-lok also and have had the same results as Bayou. Last year I needed to buy a bigger set so I decided to try a different approach. Instead of buying a new set I purchased a scent smoker and had the same results. A scent smoker is like a bee smoker. You add a hand full of hickory chips and light it up. It will produce a heavy smoke that you can cover yourself and your equipment with. I figured if it worked for the Indians it should work for me and it does. I will never buy cover scents again.

·
57 Posts
We get fooled......

because we encounter deer who aren't paying attention. They might walk right up to us while smoking cigarettes and we assume from that encounter that whitetails really aren't all that alerted by strange smells. How foolish we are!

I can throw a stick into the woods and then bring my german shorthaired pointer from her kennel and send her in the direction of the stick to fetch. She ALWAYS brings me back the stick that I threw using only her nose to pick up the scent from my hand on the stick. That is because she was alerted to the fact that she must search for my scent in the woods.

Sometimes deer are cautious and other times not so much but it is evident that timid whitetails live longer. I hunt clean meaning rubber boots, rubber gloves, scentlok clothing, scent killing showers and clean my mouth with hydrogen peroxide while in the stand. Even at that I am very aware of the wind direction and currents. Although there is noway to completely illiminate molecules from leaving my body into the air I work very hard to keep them as sparce as possible. Knowing that my dog stops in her tracks when she comes within 5 feet of just the scent of my hand on a log, I have a pretty good idea that a whitetail will be able to detect my uncovered scent from hundreds of yards away downwind..........Doug

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
I don't have any proof that they work or don't work. All I know is that it doesn't hurt me to wear it, and it may or maynot hurt me not to wear it. That being said, it is a small price (in my eyes) to pay for a little extra insurance, if it does work. All in all, if the wind isn't in your favor, you shouldn't be hunting the spot your in.
BTW, people talk about all the stuff they do and still see deer. Well deer and bucks 3-1/2 years and older are 2 different animals. I admit, I am a trophy hunter. These type of deer do many things different that deer in general don't do.

·
11,413 Posts
I hunt SC some in September

and back to VA in October. HOT!!!!! :) We all won't agree on this just as we don't on broadheads, arrow material, vane types, crossbow brands, etc. It would be dull world if all of us thought the same and purchased the same stuff :-(

A friend of mine is a big believer in Scent lok. Coming out of the woods one morning last year he had gas and let it out............a silent one. I was walking behind him:ack2::D I said "Dude!!!!!!! your Scent lock is NOT working":D

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Urban Legend said:
I don't have any proof that they work or don't work. All I know is that it doesn't hurt me to wear it, and it may or maynot hurt me not to wear it. That being said, it is a small price (in my eyes) to pay for a little extra insurance, if it does work. All in all, if the wind isn't in your favor, you shouldn't be hunting the spot your in.
BTW, people talk about all the stuff they do and still see deer. Well deer and bucks 3-1/2 years and older are 2 different animals. I admit, I am a trophy hunter. These type of deer do many things different that deer in general don't do.

I would agree with that

I'm just looking for different opinions, because Im setting my sights on "the big one" that has seemed to get away from me the past couple of years

2 years ago, Bow hunting I was walking to my blind and seen him, but it was thick and only had a neck shot, didn't take it

Last year opening day of gun season ranged him at 247 yards in the shotgun zone

I know where he lives and I want to give him a gift for being a nice challenge A arrow with a sharp blade on the end of it

This deer is a 170+ plus well at least 2 years ago when I seen him at 15 yards 12 points that i could count:D

·
211 Posts
I dont really buy into all the scent lok stuff, your never going to hide your scent well enough for a deer not to easily smell you and "they" say most of your scent comes from your head anyway, a pretty hard(if not impossible) area to try to eliminate scent

however from what I understand the theory behind it isnt to eliminate scent completely anyway, deer can estimate your distance by the strength of the scent they recieve and from what I understand the idea is to reduce your scent enough to make the deer thuink your further away than you are...

wether its true or not, or gimick or not, I can see the logic behind the idea, but like alot of things that come out on the market, I think its WAY overplayed, I like to try to be as scent free as possible but I'd never go so far as to buy into all the scent eliminating suits and such(spray I use sometimes), I'd rather play the wind...

·
57 Posts
but do they work?

Scentlok clothing would be worth every dime that you spend on them if you knew for sure that they could be "replentished" by simply tossing them in a clothes dryer at home. That is the question.

Activated carbon has more surface area per gram than almost any other substance on earth. As molecules pass through the activated carbon the molecules get stuck in the crevices. The problem is that eventually the crevices get filled up with molecules and can take no more. Scentlok says that the heat from a simple clothes dryer will release the molecules back into the air. Other researchers say that is hog wash! The US military doesn't take any chances and discards the carbon suits after first use I am told. Washing the material does more harm than good.

I am not convinced that it works.....if I was I wouldn't mind the cost at all. But one thing is for sure.......if you can still smell a fart through one it isn't doing it's job :D

·
11,413 Posts
That's the truth

:D

I guess the only way for you to truly find out is to cough up the $$$$$:D

·
57 Posts
Scientific?

Plenty have coughed up the money without knowing for sure if it actually works or to what extent might work. If you do a search on the internet you will, of course, find varying opinions. Those marketing the product sure believe it does.......other researchers say that you must heat the material to over 350 degrees for 30 minutes before the carbon even begins to release the captured molecules. I think that the farting test is the most scientific.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Non scientific test.

Several years ago, in January,while picking up a prisoner for extradition at Texas State prison in Huntsville Texas ,several hunters, game officials,and Hunting products reps were conducting a non scientific test.

They used a deputy sheriff who was an avid hunter who swears the scent control works as the test subject.
The deputy/hunter had utilized all his scent control products,clothes,sprays,whatever,and then took off on about a one mile route over fields,across creeks,dirt roads,black top,get the idea?.

A few bets were placed!.

About an hour later two Bloodhounds with a handler were told to find the hidden deputy,about a mile away.

The hounds took off in a dead run and within minutes had the deputy caught.

I think That all the things a hunter does in preparing, and believing in the products, along with the Scent control products , will contribute to a hunters success.

Disclaimer,Dont try this at home.

·
190 Posts
I have been hunting deer for 3 decades with a bow. I once used to buy scents and all the garb they try to sell you. Once I was hunting with a trophy hunting operation in NW Illionois and the guide told me, no scents, no deer pee or anything on my stands. You go in smelling of nothing and keep it that way on stand and if you ignore my rules you are off my property and no refund. Funny thing I hate orders and rules but I followed them and never saw so many deer in life. I have followed that advice ever since.

I wash my hunting clothes, hats, gloves, socks etc in no scent detergent and dry them with the dryer sheets that smells like wet earth and then put them in a garbage bag and seal them up. That besides liberal use of scent killer is all I do and I know it works as the deer never know I am in the area. So no ScentLock for me even if I am going after the "big one". Keep it scent free and save the mony for more bolts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts