Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using peep sights on my Horton HD150, but i am pretty sure I want to go with a scope with some type of multi point reticel in it, and advise or pics would be great......I am looking to stay in the $100 to $150 dollar range, also what type of mount do i need?

·
310 Posts
dennis said:
I am currently using peep sights on my Horton HD150, but i am pretty sure I want to go with a scope with some type of multi point reticel in it, and advise or pics would be great......I am looking to stay in the $100 to $150 dollar range, also what type of mount do i need?
Dennis,
You will need to get the rail adapter to mount a scope to the crossbow. This wil take weaver style rings.
As far as scopes, Horton has a 4X32 with the multi range dots in it that works for me. There are other manufacturers who make scopes in this price range, but I have not had experience with them personally.

Thanks for the question,
Mark

·
329 Posts
to all,

fyi, i bought my rail/rings for my Yukon SL for 24.55 delivered on ebay.com (retail around here is is 44.95).

yours, texasnative46

·
20 Posts
Scoping things out

Howdy, I have two Horton crossbows an legend XL and a very old wooden stock horton. both have the Horton 4x32 scope on them and it works excellent. My scopes have the 20-30-40-50 yard markers on the crosshair to give you that extra comfort/confidence in the field. the scopes cost about $100, rings and rail if yours did not come with one are less than $50.00. This is a common avaialble item, so purchasing it online ot at any good sporting goods store should not be a problem.:D

·
310 Posts
dennis said:
hey hoss, thanks for the reply...........were should I look for the "rail" adapter

Dennis,
As you can see from other replies, they are available almost anywhere.
I can only suggest your local Horton Dealer. These should be a stock item.
Please do not ignore your other options this has recieved some good advise from other members of Crossbownation.
Please do not buy a used scope, that would be the only thing I would stay firm on.

Thanks,

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info.............all we have around here is Dicks and gander mountian..........the clerks know less about hunting then tree huggers do...........We do have a Cabelas a few miles to the north....

·
175 Posts
Dennis,

I've owned Horton, TruGlo, BSA and Excalibur scopes. The Horton and BSA all had multi-lines for different distances and seemed to work well. I tried the TruGlo multi-line illuminated scope but had a lot of problems with it. The tube was too short for my Excal mount and when it was turned on I lost all of my sighting at the higher settings due to the amount of illumination coming from four lines lighting up. I got to where I didn't want the multi-lines in my sighting so I tried the Excalibur Varizone. It has only one line but has graduating dots below it for your other distances. It is a great scope and I bought the illuminated Lumizone to go on my second Excalibur crossbow. I've only used the illumination one time because with it's 40mm optics it lets in a whole lot of light on it's own. Of course you can always do as my brother in law is doing and he is using a regular rifle scope with only one crosshair. He hasn't had any trouble with the so-called reverse recoil that some say will ruin a regular rifle scope. The scope he is using came off of his 300 magnum so I think it can handle the whatever recoil a crossbow can give.

Good luck in your decision.

·
1,071 Posts
Which scope to use?

This subject is a personal issue of preferences I believe. Graveyard Zombie didn't like the Truglo because of too much illumination and a blurring of crosshars and likes the Lumizone better with its triangulat points below one crosshair. I however like the multiple crosshair scopes with or without illumination. Also as far as blurring when set to high why not set it at a lower illumination to take away any blurring effect present. I have had no problem with my Truglo and when set on illumination I use only the brightness needed for the situation i'm in and have had no problems with it. If I don't need the illumination I don't use it. Illumination I believe is a great tool to be used when needed and not all the time but again thats my opinion.So my suggestion is to look at as many available scopes as you can and pick the one that you like and will best serve your purposes.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
My very favorite is the single dot red sot scope for shooting hogs after dark. I so understand about the too much light! I hated the triple dot scopes. They are blinding after dark. They don't do you any favors by being so bright to the point you can't see what your shooting at. I used the single dot on the lowest setting and that worked great! It was a Bushnell and I paid like $80.00 for it way back when. Probably cheaper now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts