Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season I missed two shots on nice bucks at 30 - 35 yds. Both deer kicked their back legs and bolts off about 10'. Could not believe I missed at that range as the scope was sighted in correctly and would hit dead on at a target. When I went to get new glasses they could not provide them untill I had the cataracts taken care off. Realized after my Dr. appointment that I was probably seen the wrong point of line in the scope and actually shot where I aimed. Due to the virus could not get anything done till now so hopefully I can get them taken care of before it gets into the season to far. Any of you older hunters that may have cataracts, don't wait to long as it will effect your aiming points.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to guit hunting a half hour before dark couldnt see anything had both eyes fixed 20/20 now just need reading glasses up close it's amazing when you get it done

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carolyn just had both of hers done. One week after the first ey was done had 20/40. Goes back this Thursday for the second eye check up. Only uses readers now and had tries before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I get my cataracts done (hopefully in a month) I’m hoping to get the premium lens replacement. I told the eye doc, I don’t want ANY glasses other than sun glasses

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine will be done though the VA so will take what they give me and be happy with that, even if I need readers. Hopefully a lot better than what I have now.

·
11,251 Posts
Most of us will need either bifocals or progressive lenses (your choice) by the time we reach 50 years old. Although progressives may be a little more difficult to become comfortable with, but I’m convinced the benefits greatly outweigh conventional straight top bifocals that only offer clear vision at distance and at arm’s length but not at intermediate distances that progressive lenses do. I’d also highly recommend insisting on photochromic and anti reflective lenses. Zeiss or Essilor are the brands to look for, and if you are told by your optometrist or ophthalmologist that you need cataract surgery, do it! You will be glad you did. Good vision is crucial, especially for those low light hunting shots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful and make sure progressives are what you weant before you lay down the $$ for them. Once you walk out the door with them, they are yours and have zero trade in value. I tried them one time. After stumbling around like a drunk sailor for a week I went back and got the regular trifocals. Moon is right the bi's help close up but nothing more. If the intermediate range is an issue you may need to go with the tri- focals. I know more people that hate the progressive and can't afford or don't want to spend the $300 for another new pair, than there are that like them. Most that have them wear them on the bill of their cap or the back of their neck.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I hated bifocals and love my progressives. When I got mine years back the Dr. told me that I might have trouble on stairs and such at first but I would get used to them. I never had a minute's problem out of them. If you have problems if is probably the Doctors fault in measuring for your eyes incorrectly.

·
11,251 Posts
Trifocals, with 2 lines always right in front of my eyes.........suck😄
Having worked in the optical industry for almost 40 years, one thing I learned :giggle: was that the RX (lenses) had to be produced within established tolerances, including pupillary distance and segment height. If they are off, you are screwed!! Bottom line is all those specs are in the hands of the optician/optometrist to make sure they are correct before putting them on your face. Good luck😊.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My eye doctor did not recommed progressives say he had not gotten good results but it was up to me

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have never had any luck with plastic lens lasting any time, I have used glass in 95% of all my glasses and 100% the last 30 years.
I did get a lens that darkend outdoors to find that at night in cold weather they would darken too. Oops! Got my money back on them. Also tried a non-reflective coating. I found out that the coating would scratch and get hazy if not cleaned with care. Well that is why I got glass. Got my money back on that one too.
I actually had a person at vision center try to tell me I didn't want glass. It was dangerous, and too heavy. I explained to her that I had been wearing glasses longer than she was alive. I have had more luck with glass surviving my care than plastic ever could.
I also have standard bifocals. The the extra "focal" keeps me from always taking my glasses off the do bench work.
I am nearsighted. Cataract surgery is in my future, so they have said since, I was 35 years old.
After surgery, I will sight in all my weapons.....Sounds like fun after all

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just had both eyes done and what a difference. Wow! Will only need readers now. Distance is great. One eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/10. Everything is supper crisp and clear when looking through my scopes and binos. Night driving is great now too. Highly recommend the cataract surgery!

Reactions: dale lockwood

·
Registered
285 Posts
Last season I missed two shots on nice bucks at 30 - 35 yds. Both deer kicked their back legs and bolts off about 10'. Could not believe I missed at that range as the scope was sighted in correctly and would hit dead on at a target. When I went to get new glasses they could not provide them untill I had the cataracts taken care off. Realized after my Dr. appointment that I was probably seen the wrong point of line in the scope and actually shot where I aimed. Due to the virus could not get anything done till now so hopefully I can get them taken care of before it gets into the season to far. Any of you older hunters that may have cataracts, don't wait to long as it will effect your aiming points.
Just had both eyes done and what a difference. Wow! Will only need readers now. Distance is great. One eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/10. Everything is supper crisp and clear when looking through my scopes and binos. Night driving is great now too. Highly recommend the cataract surgery!
I had catarac surgery 2 years ago to the day just . It made so much difference. Also before my eyes were terrible like 20/500 in the left and right wasn't much better. After surgery I was 20/20 in the right and 20/25 in the left. Could of got by with bifocals. But got just a tinge of power to make it super clear. Like I could see a fly on a post a long ways away. I have a great time seeing so good in the woods and enhanced colors.
I just got the straight catarac's that Medicare pays for and My insurance picked up the rest.

I am not a expert, actually zero knowledge to recommend anything. Just a opinion-I think and my doctors staff agreed sometimes when you go away from the simple tried and true model, you may end up with more problems. That is why I did not get lens replacements that adjust for closeness etc.like reading etc. I am 100% happy.

I will say get a doctor with a excellent track record..

·
661 Posts
I had both eyes done,Being on Medi-care only had one choice and they turned out great,Drops were a pain though. It was cheaper to get surgery than New Glasses.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree about the drops being a pain. Good news for me is today is my last day to do the drops.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from Carolyns week checkup on the left eye. Now has 20/20 in both eyes and is using the reading glasses. No new glasses for her. I go in for consultation in a week to the VA. Will take what they provide as they are paying the bill. I just have to get there.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Just got back from Carolyns week checkup on the left eye. Now has 20/20 in both eyes and is using the reading glasses. No new glasses for her. I go in for consultation in a week to the VA. Will take what they provide as they are paying the bill. I just have to get there.
Good luck with the surgery. I know you will do well.:)

Reactions: Gwn001
1 - 19 of 19 Posts