Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about others, and have had personal experience myself, with scopes coming loose due to the constant pounding from the xbow's recoil and flexing.
Has anyone tried using some thin rubber strips between the rings and scope, or something like that, to maybe lessen the shock or am I out to lunch?
I was thinking of using threadlocker or "Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker" (thanks TX_RDXguy for the suggestion for another purpose) but cannot see that being the end-all solution.
Anyway, just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have done just that with a rifle scope on a CZ 204 Ruger. I bought several sets of rings for this apparent awkward tube size scope, and there was just a hairs worth of play that I couldn't get out. I used the rubber method, but in all honesty it wasn't a great fix to the problem. The rubber will obviously flex which will cause minor inaccuracy issues for a person who expects same hole accuracy out of a rifle. That being said, I eventually found a set of rings that came with several size ring inserts meant to make the diameter of the rings smaller for different scope tubes. They were made of some type of hard plastic or nylon, but they made the rings too small for my particular application. Loc-Tite is a good option on the screws, I'd try the yellow LT first, as that is meant for such applications where you may have to remove/loosen/tighten screws more often than you think. Torque the screws with a fat wrench. If that doesn't hold up go to the blue LT. Just be careful not to get it on anything plastic, as LT will eventually eat up/weaken plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have done just that with a rifle scope on a CZ 204 Ruger. I bought several sets of rings for this apparent awkward tube size scope, and there was just a hairs worth of play that I couldn't get out. I used the rubber method, but in all honesty it wasn't a great fix to the problem. The rubber will obviously flex which will cause minor inaccuracy issues for a person who expects same hole accuracy out of a rifle. That being said, I eventually found a set of rings that came with several size ring inserts meant to make the diameter of the rings smaller for different scope tubes. They were made of some type of hard plastic or nylon, but they made the rings too small for my particular application. Loc-Tite is a good option on the screws, I'd try the yellow LT first, as that is meant for such applications where you may have to remove/loosen/tighten screws more often than you think. Torque the screws with a fat wrench. If that doesn't hold up go to the blue LT. Just be careful not to get it on anything plastic, as LT will eventually eat up/weaken plastic.
Thanks for the real-world observations and ideas, BULLDOGGBOYZ, much appreciated.

I've been waiting for a couple weeks for the "Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3" to arrive to fix a couple issues on a couple of xbows.
It is still one to two weeks away.
Not sure why it is so hard to get but it is what it is.

I don't want to use Loc-Tite in the meantime as it would have to be cleaned off for the VC-3 to be applied.

Guess I will just keep checking fasteners at a regularly scheduled frequency, TBD.
I'm thinking every 20 shots to start.
There's another idea, a shot counter on a xbow... :cool:

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ah, waiting on the hard to get "Magic elixir" dilemma. HA!HA! Hate when that happens. SMH. As for a shot counter, you might be on to something there! Get your patent in quickly though. LOL! Seriously, I would imagine it will become habit for you to check everything after x amount of shots, being as it will set you back on time to have to keep sighting in and tightening down. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, waiting on the hard to get "Magic elixir" dilemma. HA!HA! Hate when that happens. SMH. As for a shot counter, you might be on to something there! Get your patent in quickly though. LOL! Seriously, I would imagine it will become habit for you to check everything after x amount of shots, being as it will set you back on time to have to keep sighting in and tightening down. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
Thanks BULLDOGBOYZ.
I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the stage in my life where I need more self-induced stress chasing patents.
Have had many of my ideas patented by others and I am OK with that.

Some ideas you may be using yourself today (mostly in the electronics, robotics and automotive fields) but I don't want to go there anymore.
It is crazy, IMO, how people that you once considered "friends" can turn on you when it comes down to $.

I am sleeping peacefully now and I prefer it that way.
Regardless, I have added the counter idea to the TenPoint Forum and am happy to let others run with it or squash it.
If I want one that badly "right now", I will make it myself.
(y)

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
You are doing something wrong when mounting your scopes if they are vibrating loose. I have been shooting scopes on crossbows since 2010 and have yet to have one vibrate loose other than having a screw loose on an Excalibur scope mount on one bow and a dab of fingernail polish took care of that.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are doing something wrong when mounting your scopes if they are vibrating loose. I have been shooting scopes on crossbows since 2010 and have yet to have one vibrate loose other than having a screw loose on an Excalibur scope mount on one bow and a dab of fingernail polish took care of that.
I admit, it may be a lack of tightening and threadlocker use.
I mount scopes by using a level and securing the fasteners (without threadlocker, which as I explained I am waiting for the VC-3) in a criss-cross pattern, starting in the middle and working out towards the ends.
I should use a torque wrench as I am deathly afraid of how much I am tightening due to the lack of feeling in my hands, even with ulnar nerve lateral transposition surgeries.
I am not a huge person but I have busted a few things lately by over tightening.
All my torque wrenches went "missing" or were all stolen a few years back and I have not replaced them yet.

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
I should have mentioned that I clean my screws and the holes they go in on the bases and rings but I do not use any type of thread locker on my scope rings at all.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I admit, it may be a lack of tightening and threadlocker use.
I mount scopes by using a level and securing the fasteners (without threadlocker, which as I explained I am waiting for the VC-3) in a criss-cross pattern, starting in the middle and working out towards the ends.
I should use a torque wrench as I am deathly afraid of how much I am tightening due to the lack of feeling in my hands, even with ulnar nerve lateral transposition surgeries.
I am not a huge person but I have busted a few things lately by over tightening.
All my torque wrenches went "missing" or were all stolen a few years back and I have not replaced them yet.
AH...That makes sense Dynamo. Had no issue you had nerve issues in your hands. I'd suggest a "fat wrench" torque screw driver. Nothing like being afraid to crush a scope tube by accident. I personally use a dab of yellow LT on my screws, but that's probably because I own a Harley Davidson touring bike. ROFL. :D

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AH...That makes sense Dynamo. Had no issue you had nerve issues in your hands. I'd suggest a "fat wrench" torque screw driver. Nothing like being afraid to crush a scope tube by accident. I personally use a dab of yellow LT on my screws, but that's probably because I own a Harley Davidson touring bike. ROFL. :D
That is nice for $32, I'm on it, thanks BULLDOGGBOYZ.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I'd suggest a "fat wrench" torque screw driver. Nothing like being afraid to crush a scope tube by accident.
As much as I do changing and remountig scopes and mounts, my Wheeler Fat Wrench is a must.

If you torque every screw to spec - plus one more pound :p - I can’t imagine them coming loose. Mine never have.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As much as I do changing and remountig scopes and mounts, my Wheeler Fat Wrench is a must.

If you torque every screw to spec - plus one more pound :p - I can’t imagine them coming loose. Mine never have.
Ya, I checked it out on Amazon Canada.
It sells for over $100 because it comes with another widget, I've forgotten what it is.
So I decided to get individual 1/4 and 3/8 inch drive torque wrenches for about the same amount.
They should arrive today.

I am still missing my 1/2" drive torque wrench but it can wait.
Certainly don't need 1/2" drive for a crossbow or scope LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts