Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to crossbows, my first one is a Barnett assault 245, does the job. I’ve been wanting to upgrade from the Halo scope it comes with but being so slow I’m not sure what would be the best (and affordable lol) scope for it. By the way I don’t want a red dot for it.
Can you guys shine a light?
thanks
Martin

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have a Horton (original company, not TenPoint) variable power, multi line scope that I had on my Vision 175. It wasn't a fast bow. It has 2 to 7 magnification. The scope was made by Hawke I believe. It should work for you. Let me know if you are interested.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a bow (254 fps) which Carrie's an excal scope rated down to 280. I use the crosshair at 5 yard increments.
No problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a bow (254 fps) which Carrie's an excal scope rated down to 280. I use the crosshair at 5 yard increments.
No problems.
I guess my question should’ve been, what’s the deal with speed rated scopes. I own a 10 point scope rated for 275 to 425. Could I use that one on my 245 fps crossbow and how do I zero it?
there’s other ones on Amazon (hawke I believe) rated for 250fps, would one of those be better?
thanks
Martin

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
250 scope is going to give you a 10 yard block. If that's how you want to go.
Myself, I would set the scope you have to match what you have and work with whatever differential it ends up being.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My scope is a ten point RangeMaster Pro btw, so you’re saying I could use it on my 245 fps xbow?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My scope is a ten point RangeMaster Pro btw, so you’re saying I could use it on my 245 fps xbow?
I am saying that but others might pee on my opinion LOL
Speed adjustable scopes really are not. They are just adjustable to magnification.
You are setting the magnification to match the gap on the recital.
The "speed rings scopes" are just made for crossbow guys coming to the sport with no prior experience.
These scopes are close at best and the speed setting actually means nothing other than "its close enough".

I have 3X9 pellet gun scopes that I can dial down to 200fps bows. Dont think about the speed rating on the ring. Just adjust the scopes magnification to match your trajectory. Dont over think it.
Increase the magnification and the distance between the lines will increase. Decrease magnification and distance will increase. Simply dial it to bring the top two lines to two different aiming points. Most times it will be pretty consistent passed that if you are shooting average distances.

With all this said....

I am speaking in terms of what I can do and have done. You will have to take what I have said (if you wish) and work it out.
Not every scope is going to work perfectly across the board, as distances increase.
Most will.... For me.

·
3,910 Posts
Sure you can, but with your bow, you will be on a very low power to make the lines work. I also have Rangemaster, as well as the older Horton scope that Archer 36 mentioned. In fact, I have 3 of them. They are, to my eyes, much clearer than the RMP, plus it will be on a bit more magnification than the RMP when the scope is adjusted for the crossbow’s trajectory. You can still get them on eBay (I got my third last week. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it, thanks guys. I shoot air rifles and scopes are a whole less complicated, that “speed” rating got me confused because I am in that no experience group lol.
I do really appreciate all your valuable help.
Martin

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Got it, thanks guys. I shoot air rifles and scopes are a whole less complicated, that “speed” rating got me confused because I am in that no experience group lol.
I do really appreciate all your valuable help.
Martin
go get 'em!

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
At 245 fps you NEED to decide what distance is far enough when it come to shooting at a game animal. If that were my bow I'd guess 30 yards max, but that's just me. I'd put the scope you have on it and set the top reticle at say.......15 yards. Then go back and shoot 30 yards using the 2nd or 3rd reticle. If hitting high or low, try turning the power ring to get you back into the bullseye at that distance using the same reticle. Zooming in and out is how the power ring works for a crossbow. Once set you cannot move the power ring. BTW, use the same arrow when zeroing your crossbow. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 380 and Martintrj

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
At 245 fps you NEED to decide what distance is far enough when it come to shooting at a game animal. If that were my bow I'd guess 30 yards max, but that's just me. I'd put the scope you have on it and set the top reticle at say.......15 yards. Then go back and shoot 30 yards using the 2nd or 3rd reticle. If hitting high or low, try turning the power ring to get you back into the bullseye at that distance using the same reticle. Zooming in and out is how the power ring works for a crossbow. Once set you cannot move the power ring. BTW, use the same arrow when zeroing your crossbow. Hope this helps.
Agree above. This is what I did and that distance mentioned (Max) is what I set for my 254fps bow.
I am very sure that I would be effective well past 30 yards with the arrow it carries but the arrow flight is best at 30 and under.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yeah, 30 yards is the farthest I’ll shoot.
What do you think of this one?
I have that scope too that I can sell to you but I think overall you will be better off with a variable speed/speed compensating scope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have that scope too that I can sell to you but I think overall you will be better off with a variable speed/speed compensating scope.
I appreciate that, thanks for helping me out. Looks like I’m making everything more complicated than it should be.
compared to slingshots tho, this is next level lol.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
If you pick your shots you can easily kill deer with that crossbow. That about the same speed as one of my last vert bows and I killed aint no telling how many deer with that thing. I didnt shoot past 25 yards at a deer. Didnt need to. I just worked in close enough that I didnt have to.;)

Reactions: Martintrj

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you pick your shots you can easily kill deer with that crossbow. That about the same speed as one of my last vert bows and I killed aint no telling how many deer with that thing. I didnt shoot past 25 yards at a deer. Didnt need to. I just worked in close enough that I didnt have to.;)
A sharp, fixed, three blade broadhead with a moderate cutting diameter and it will do the trick.

Reactions: Martintrj

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have been killing deer/hogs cleanly for a couple of decades with a 150fps recurve.
Pretty sure everything is gonna be o.k.
LOL :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My main goal is pigs, close range. Don’t take me wrong, I do like my CP 370 sniper just can’t get pass how complicated it is to replace the string. There is not one place here in SoCal that can replace it. Even Bass Pro Shops would have to ship it to Crosman.
I decided to sell it locally.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My main goal is pigs, close range. Don’t take me wrong, I do like my CP 370 sniper just can’t get pass how complicated it is to replace the string. There is not one place here in SoCal that can replace it. Even Bass Pro Shops would have to ship it to Crosman.
I decided to sell it locally.
Thats too bad :(

I would sell all my Bows if I was restricted to having to deal with a Bass Pro tech. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts