Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I recently got a barnett ghost 350 in a trade l. The scope that came on it was broke so I tried using two different scopes and neither scope I used for adjust far enough down to sight it into the bullseye. If there a reason different scopes aren't working or is it something else? I used my scope off my killer instinct bow which was sighted perfect and I am not sure what the other scope was.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Sounds like you have a negative MOA scope rail on that bow. I had to get some Burris Signature scope rings to get a scope mounted correctly on my Ravin for that reason. I first used three coke can shims on the front ring and it did get me zeroed in but I wanted more MOA so I went to the Burris rings and got +20 MOA.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Remove your scope and block the crossbow level. Lay a level length wise on the rail and one on the picatinny rail (the rail that the scope mounts to).
The picatinny rail and the rail stock where the arrow lies should match. If they do not, there are two possibilities: 1) the picatinny rail got bent by dropping
the cross bow or 2)the crossbow was not manufactured properly and the picatinny rail needs shims to level it.

Barnett scopes on the older crossbows are known to not be the best. For target I am using a Bushnell 3 x 12 x 40 Drop zone with the side parallax. The parallax
can be turned down to 10 yards. The knob is on the left side as you would hold the crossbow in a normal shooting position. This scope is not illuminated as
I do not need that feature for target shooting.

Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove your scope and block the crossbow level. Lay a level length wise on the rail and one on the picatinny rail (the rail that the scope mounts to).
The picatinny rail and the rail stock where the arrow lies should match. If they do not, there are two possibilities: 1) the picatinny rail got bent by dropping
the cross bow or 2)the crossbow was not manufactured properly and the picatinny rail needs shims to level it.

Barnett scopes on the older crossbows are known to not be the best. For target I am using a Bushnell 3 x 12 x 40 Drop zone with the side parallax. The parallax
can be turned down to 10 yards. The knob is on the left side as you would hold the crossbow in a normal shooting position. This scope is not illuminated as
I do not need that feature for target shooting.

Wishing you all the best.
Should the picatinny be tipped down? I replaced the plastic piece that it sits on barnett sent me a new one and not its tipped towards the rails I shimmed the front bracket up and got it to shoot inline with the bullseye but the adjustment to the right ran out on it so that didkt help

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The picatinny rail should sit level, not tilted down. This is where Ravin crossbows failed when they first came out.
They advertised their 100 yard shot. Fine, but at closer ranges the scope would run out of vertical adjustment. Once
Ravin came out with their Jack Plate this corrected the problem. I have the HHA Optimizer which works similar and
was out before Ravin's Jack Plate was available.

Looking at the submitted picture, the back of the picatinny rail does not fit properly. It sits much too high.

All the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The picatinny rail should sit level, not tilted down. This is where Ravin crossbows failed when they first came out.
They advertised their 100 yard shot. Fine, but at closer ranges the scope would run out of vertical adjustment. Once
Ravin came out with their Jack Plate this corrected the problem. I have the HHA Optimizer which works similar and
was out before Ravin's Jack Plate was available.

Looking at the submitted picture, the back of the picatinny rail does not fit properly. It sits much too high.

All the best.
Thank you for the info ill look into jacking plates

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Definitely not screwed down all the way in back. Take off and try reinstalling. Tighten down back screw first

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there by any chance a screw in the back of that scope rail that has loosened up? It looks like the rear is poking upwards and should be flat.
It does and ain't loose i received a new piece and apparently where the rail fits in is to narrow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
While it does appear that pic mount is skewed, keep in mind, on most scopes I have dealt with it is necessary to gently tap the turrets/scope body near the turrets after making major and sometimes even minor adjustments using the dials. This has become habit for me regardless of the scope, as I have had plenty of occasions where I made adjustments and got NO change in POI from the previous shot, and even have had experiences where I got the opposite/negative POI from the previous shot. This most recently happened with my Evo X. Upon gently tapping the turret area after my adjustments, the crosshairs "Settled in" to where the settings were supposed to have been. I have found this to be the case on Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, Redfield, and now this Evo X. While this is likely not your particular issue, it's something to keep in mind going forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts