Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a new bow, and upgraded to the Hawke XB30 Compact SR. I like the scope and features, but find the reticle a bit busy for me....I'm used to multi-single pins or dots, not the Xmas tree style reticle. It's great for target, and have the same style on rifles...but in hunting situations it slows me down in timber, searching for the correct line(the numbers black out).
Font Parallel Circle Symmetry Slope

Does anyone make a style similar to this(which is listed as an Excalibur Tact Zone, but must have been a Gen.1 version because they changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated, would prefer to stay with a 60 yard scope not 100 if possible.

Parallel Circle Symmetry Font Slope

There is the TenPoint Rangemaster pro, which is also illuminated
Door Parallel Circle Symmetry Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have the same Hawke XB30 SR scope. For over 3 years it as worked well for me. It's could be considered a trade off because it is busy but if you are looking for reticle detail for every 5y and 10y out to 100 yards how can it be keep any less busy?
I like the thin lines because they cover less down range detail and the windage dots. Every scope with several reticles is going to require one to find the right scope crosshair...dot....triangle...etc after the yardage is determined. More practice at different yardage will make this easier. Good luck on finding one to you requirements. Nice to have lots of options "I think".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same Hawke XB30 SR scope. For over 3 years it as worked well for me. It's could be considered a trade off because it is busy but if you are looking for reticle detail for every 5y and 10y out to 100 yards how can it be keep any less busy?
I like the thin lines because they cover less down range detail and the windage dots. Every scope with several reticles is going to require one to find the right scope crosshair...dot....triangle...etc after the yardage is determined. More practice at different yardage will make this easier. Good luck on finding one to you requirements. Nice to have lots of options "I think".
I hunt in the timber or thick areas, not in open fields. when the reticle swings past dark trees you loose sight of the retical...and have to start again. For target or open country it would be fine, but I need something less busy, and I don't shoot at 80-100 yards....I have rifles for that.

·
5,914 Posts
I found the Rangemaster reticle very good for hunting. I wish the scope was brighter and had more clarity, but the reticle worked for me-hunting wise. With only the dots lighting up, no washout.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hunt in the timber or thick areas, not in open fields. when the reticle swings past dark trees you loose sight of the retical...and have to start again. For target or open country it would be fine, but I need something less busy, and I don't shoot at 80-100 yards....I have rifles for that.
I hunt mostly forest. Scopes are personalized to one's needs. I turn the illuminated lines on if the background is a too dark or for any reason those lines are faint. My expectations are to have shots less than 50 when hunting. I do shoot targets to 100 yards without illumination unless near dark.
I tried a few scopes before I settled on the Hawke. One thing I do wonder if I wouldn't like the step up in power of the 2-8X XB30.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I hunt mostly forest. Scopes are personalized to one's needs. I turn the illuminated lines on if the background is a too dark or for any reason those lines are faint. My expectations are to have shots less than 50 when hunting. I do shoot targets to 100 yards without illumination unless near dark.
I tried a few scopes before I settled on the Hawke. One thing I do wonder if I wouldn't like the step up in power of the 2-8X XB30.
I am guessing you might like the 36mm objective over the 24mm you currently have.
What power do you currently have your scope at?
Changes in power will change yardage where the other than center reticle dots or crosses equal.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have the speed/power ring at 418/5X. I do like the 36mm view. The speed ring sliding zoom lock system is a very nice feature that is good to fool-proof the speed setting.
Also I might add the intersection points of the reticles create a very fine dot I use for fine aiming down range.

Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens Camera

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern
Window Plant Wood Tree Tire

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
. I have a TenPoint rangemaster pro with just solid dot the glass could be better in low light but just turn lighted reticle on and your good Ike like the scope simple reticle also look at the Huskemaw Xbow scope very good glass and very good simple reticle

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,870 Posts
Since I'm not into target shooting at longer distances I too prefer a scope less busy. I have an Older Nikon BoltXR which has the circles. It's not a speed scope with the adjustments of getting all crosshirs on yardages you want then on but as luck would have it it's perfect on my slowest bow at @300 fps.

The last scope I bought was the 10 Pt RangemasterPro and I like this scope alot. The illumination is great and it doesnt wash out the pictrure in your scope at very low light. Was easy to zero and came with rings. Wyvern sells them for $129.

I have all 3 of my crossbows set at 25, 35, and 45 yards. All I need is 3 crosshairs so that's why I prefer the scopes I have. If I wasnt stuck with 2 more scopes to put in the drawer to go along with the 3 or 4 that's already there then I'd have two more RMP scopes on my other 2 crossbows.;):)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I'm not into target shooting at longer distances I too prefer a scope less busy. I have an Older Nikon BoltXR which has the circles. It's not a speed scope with the adjustments of getting all crosshirs on yardages you want then on but as luck would have it it's perfect on my slowest bow at @300 fps.

The last scope I bought was the 10 Pt RangemasterPro and I like this scope alot. The illumination is great and it doesnt wash out the pictrure in your scope at very low light. Was easy to zero and came with rings. Wyvern sells them for $129.

I have all 3 of my crossbows set at 25, 35, and 45 yards. All I need is 3 crosshairs so that's why I prefer the scopes I have. If I wasnt stuck with 2 more scopes to put in the drawer to go along with the 3 or 4 that's already there then I'd have two more RMP scopes on my other 2 crossbows.;):)
Have you ever compared the Hawke against the RangeMaster in low light & clairity ?

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
1,017 Posts
Can't compare , but I do like the RMP on my Invader 400.

Just curious, are you a member on another hunting forum under a very similar name?

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,870 Posts
Have you ever compared the Hawke against the RangeMaster in low light & clairity ?
No. Ive never owned a Hawke scope other than the one I bought for cheap years ago that didnt have the name Hawke anywhere except etched on the glass. I forget the name of that scope now.

I just went and dug that scope out of my drawer to see. It is boxed as a 2 X 7 X 32 Horton scope, manufactured in China by Hawke Optics. IMO the RMP is just as good in low light and clarity, if not better. I wouldnt try to compare either scopes to a top-of-the-line Leupold or better scope. What I will say is that for hunting purposes and shots to 50 yards and closer I dont see where I personally would want anything better to use during legal hunting hours.

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
1,017 Posts
No Sir,
"Bwana" which in Swahili means gentleman or a term of respect, I was nicknamed it in college. Any archery, hunting, optics, knife forums with that name, is %99 me....sometimes I have to add a "1" or "_1" to get the name because it's already taken.
Gotcha,
Thought you might be a member on another forum who goes by “Bowanna” as a sort of take-off on “Bwana”.
Anyhoo, welcome to CBN

1 - 20 of 27 Posts