Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Perhaps we could compile a list of possible scope options that work well with jacking plates. (not speed ring style scopes) more rifle scopes. Perhaps budget, mid priced and top end.

I have used 3 scopes to date and tried all ontop of a AAH.

Bushnell Prime 3.5-10x 32 with 30/30 cross hair. $140 usd.

I found this scope to be reasonably sharp for a budget scope even at 10X mag. AO was good down to 8Y. 3.5x would have been nice for close range hunting. The fast focus ring had play if you wound it out some (I hate fast focus they all have some play unless they have a locking ring) Play = movement in the cross hair... dramatic movement. Though lucky I still have 20/20 vision and can lock the ring down all the way for best focus for my eye so wasn't a issue.

I was very happy with this scope for the price. It held true and I was feeling like I was the week link in any accuracy issues. Until I mounted it on a HHA. It could have been a clearance issue with the first few shots that had the scope making contact around the eye bell with the AHH but messed something up and the eye bell become loose.

After tightening the screws a few shots later the scope wouldn't adjust for windage more than a few clicks.

Over all the scope was heavy...solid and perhaps 1/2" longer than I would have liked....that or 1/2" less eye relief would have been perfect for comfort and shooting posture. Not willing to take a risk on another though due to the failure at a few hundred shots.

Factory PSE 4x32 scope.

Absolute junk, the optics are like looking through old plastic bottles. It's very compact and light though giving you lots of options on mounting positions. No AO so parallax is a issue (yes I can pick it up even at 4X) I did play with the objective end and have been able to reset it to different fixed distances. The scope wont hold true. Sometimes it will for 20 or so shots you will be punching arrows in the same hole at 40Y then it will just shift suddenly very frustrating.

Excalibur twilight dlx 1-6x 40

98% junk, I got this for very low cost just to try while I worked out what scope to get to replace the Bushnell. The optics are ok nothing special but I guess an improvement over the factory PSE optics. Other than that it's rubbish. The scope wont hold true at all and shifts POI dramatically.

The speed ring if you move it back and forth from say 340 to 360 FPS while looking through it lined up on a dot on white paper . You can see the center dot shift in random jerky movements. The turrets have 1/2" each click at just 20Y so no fine tuning at 80Y as each click is going to move the POI 2" !

I cant believe the RRP was on this scope in it's day and would have expected better from the brand name.

So my (personal) shortlist for a crossbow scope that works well on top of a HHA or similar would be.

Not be longer that 13" ideally 12" or under.

Not have to long eye relief (3" or so max ideal)

Have parallax adjustment... AO down to 10Y

Have reasonable glass that's nice to look through with reasonable coatings (though personally not willing to dive into the depths of diminishing returns of top shelf glass)

Objective no larger than 40mm

Have 1/4" - 100Y turret adjustment.

Be able to withstand some shock ( crossbows...Spring Airgun rated)

Have a lifetime warranty

Have a magnification of at least 9x and zoom down to as low as possible is ideal.

Not cost the earth. Not a $60 scope but not $600 scope.

Perhaps contribute some scopes you have used that work well or would work well on a AHH or similar. Even if it was a bad experience could save others from making same mistake. Perhaps even some possible contenders in the three category low, medium, expensive

I have my eye on a scope that's a 3-9 x 40 AO that 12.2" , lifetime warranty .. popular with the airgun market. will post more later.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
UTG 3x9x32 bugbuster. 0 to infinity parallax adj. Crosshair with Mildots. Illum. 9 inch, 14 oz. Between $70 @ $100.00. Have never had an hha but been told one works well with this scope. I have same scope on both my xbows. Had an xb1 but not big on speed scopes. Prefer variable, at least for now. New tech coming out all the time.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
UTG 3x9x32 bugbuster very legit on HHA. I've used it and 9 power is wildly cool to use. However, for my western needs I'm a red dot guy.

Good luck!

Reactions: kurtthrun

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 x 50 with a v bright retical .
if you get one have the parallax set to 50 yds .

Reactions: kurtthrun

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the vortex scopes look nice and the warranty looks to be one you can count on. 50mm objective and overall length of that model is a little large for my particular bow.

Though I did look at one that did have OA in a smaller objective size.

HHA offer them as factory package so gives you some confidence. Defenatly a brand for the short list.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah it is a little over kill(50 mill Objective ) I wish they offered it in a 3-9 x 40 AO .
I have there 1-4 x 24 and really like it .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Locally a brand that is very popular and has been around a long time is Nikko Stirling.

Apparently they have picked up a ex zeiss engineer working for them on a few models of scopes. Not sure how much of that has trickle down to there budget line. They where all made in Japan at one stage years ago but now most made in china except a few top shelf models that made in Japan.

That said A few reviews mentioned that some scopes are better than you would expect at the price point.

I have the Nikko Sterling 3-9 X 40 AO Panamax on my short list.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I use a Gen2 Vortex Razor HD. It is 4.5-27x56. I can see an ant on my target. It is a little above the price range you mentioned. I think about $2700 Adjustable parralex and lifetime warranty

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just looked it up, it looks real nice !!

Reactions: Rit

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes a $2700 vortex on a $250 bow isn't for me but it's good to know that the brand has something for every price point and that the scope holds up to use on a crossbow.

Perhaps some of that awesomeness can trickle down to there budget line of scope.:)

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The original 2.5x10 x44 the was the scope. They overpriced it. Sell a few or sell a million?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Yes a $2700 vortex on a $250 bow isn't for me but it's good to know that the brand has something for every price point and that the scope holds up to use on a crossbow.

Perhaps some of that awesomeness can trickle down to there budget line of scope.:)
My bow isn't 250 but Vortex makes a cheaper model . It is the diamondback. I think it's 4-18x50 with adjustable parralex. It is not illuminated .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I was referring to my bows cost. I can see it being more fitting to a high end bow .

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I tested a inexpensive scope and put it on my daughter's Swat. It has decent glass adjustable parralex and is illuminated. It from Texas Precision Optics. Called Sniper NT3-18x50. It is 2nd ffp. My daughter likes the Vortex Diamondback better. The Diamondback is first ffp. The NT is under $250 and the quality surprised me for the price. I am playing with it on one of my Aculeus and it holds its own. I will probably put it on my new Seat when I get it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fitted a scope I ordered today. Nikko Stirling Panamax 3-9 X 40 AO.

It's a little shorter than my old Bushnell. 12.2" total. Zoom and parralex are tight but smooth. The field of view is nice with the wide view Panamax for a 1" tube.

I would say the Bushnell was a tad brighter or sharper but today was overcast so hard to tell.

Long term I am going to need the HHA spacers to give me clearance for they eye bell. It's usable now just better if I had clearance to move the scope forward more it would be perfect.

I didn't have much time to shoot it but I did a quick dial in on the bow and had it shooting same hole at 30y and golf ball size group at 60y with same arrow shot repetitively.

One thing that will take some getting usto is the reticle is a 1/2 milldot it's nice and sharp fine perhaps better for target shooting but more going on than my Bushnell 30-30 reticle.

Life time warranty will see how it holds up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts