Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
10,174 Posts
Problem being ... if you don't have sophisticated instrumentation and/or equipment ... "how do you know what you paid for?" Most shooters have neither the knowledge or the tools to check. Comes down to reputation & trust of the supplier in my opinion. :unsure: :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, BUT verify".

Jerry, Thanks for your time and efforts. Your attempts to educate/increase awareness about the impact of arrow quality on accuracy is appreciated. After shooting vertical bows, both hunting and target competitions since the early 1970's, I now have answers to many longstanding questions. Many experienced crossbowyers here on CBN have contributed but your explanation of arrow dynamics and their impact on accuracy have made it clear. For many years I had a quote, "Ask 10 bowhunters a question, you will get 20 answers". This continues to this day!

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
WOW that was .008 .
Knowing what i know , i would be PO with those arrows and who sold them to me .
I check every arrow i buy on my tester , so far they all have been spot on , so i will keep buying from those people !!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I’ll have to set my checker back up and compare the variance on the 3 Ravins that came with my R10 and the Tapps I got last fall.

I did check the stiff side location of the Ravins and marked them as shown below. As Arnorld would say “I’ll be back”.

IMG_1371.JPG

Reactions: dynamo61

·
5,152 Posts
Problem being ... if you don't have sophisticated instrumentation and/or equipment ... "how do you know what you paid for?" Most shooters have neither the knowledge or the tools to check. Comes down to reputation & trust of the supplier in my opinion. :unsure: :)
The ultimate test is on the range. Jerry’s arrows have never disappointed me.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I have a question.

I just dawned on me if I’m only checking straightness (concentricity) do I hang a weight or check it is the free state?

I use a 3 1/4# weight (seems good enough for me) when checking for the stiff side of the shaft. Seems to do the job.

·
5,152 Posts
The worst shooting arrows I’ve tested came from a reputed sorce, but one who does not believe in spine matching or even spine indexing. When I got my Aculeus/12 factory arrows (Executioners) , 4 of the 12 were terrible. The other 8 were quite good but not as good as Jerry’s.

In free state for straightness, weight for spine. For xbow arrows, i use a little >4#. I have never been able to get any deflection with a bolt.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
This kind of thing burns my butt.

Interesting. Were these shafts marked for spine? Any idea how many shots these arrows have endured and the kind of target this guy had?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Were these shafts marked for spine? Any idea how many shots these arrows have endured and the kind of target this guy had?
Yes they are marked but not correctly, As for number of shots, maybe 50

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a question.

I just dawned on me if I’m only checking straightness (concentricity) do I hang a weight or check it is the free state?
No weight

I use a 3 1/4# weight (seems good enough for me) when checking for the stiff side of the shaft. Seems to do the job.
If you want to match spine you need to use a 1.94# weight. The heavier weight actually makes the spine appear to be more spread out than they really are

Reactions: GARY W CURTIS

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Yes they are marked but not correctly, As for number of shots, maybe 50
Any possibility the arrow carbon has broken down and the TIR and spine has changed?

Reactions: GARY W CURTIS

·
10,174 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
No weight

If you want to match spine you need to use a 1.94# weight. The heavier weight actually makes the spine appear to be more spread out than they really are
I thought the 1.94# weight was for a 28” shaft and a heavier weight was needed for checking a 20” shaft’s deflection if wanting to compare apples to apples.

But 1.94# is ok to just check spine location? Thanks.

·
5,152 Posts
I thought the 1.94# weight was for a 28” shaft and a heavier weight was needed for checking a 20” shaft’s deflection if wanting to compare apples to apples.

But 1.94# is ok to just check spine location? Thanks.
My thoughts too.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts