Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted a Scorpyd Nemesis and many times almost pulled the trigger and ordered one. I did something that is very unlike me and started google searching (which lead me to this great site and people) and read all I could on the Nemesis. So I asked some questions and had some people PM me with their experiences etc. So as much as I want this bow, I am not sure I can be comfortable pulling the trigger.

Reading about the Nemesis I learned some about the Aculeus. I have done several searches and there doesn't seem to be as much info about this bow. Maybe that is a good thing because the people that own them have no reason to complain. It is the only other bow that is NY legal and interests me. I am a little bothered by spending top dollar on three year old tech but maybe new doesn't mean better.

If you have an Aculeus are you happy with it? What are real world speeds with this bow, is it as fast as the Nemesis? What is the uncocked AtA? What setups are you using for hunting? Is this bow easier to cock than the Nemesis eliminating the need for a crank for a short guy like myself? Is this bow too bulky for treestand hunting?

Any info you guys are willing to share on the Aculeus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have an Aculeus 460, this bow is a beast!! Absolutely no regrets, super accurate, comfortable in treestand. It comes in a few different limb configurations. I have the heaviest limbs, 206.6 deflection. Takes alittle muscle to cock with short sled. Long sled cuts pull in half. I actually just put some lighter limbs on it , still shooting right around 400fps. Highly recommend the bow.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an Aculeus 460, this bow is a beast!! Absolutely no regrets, super accurate, comfortable in treestand. It comes in a few different limb configurations. I have the heaviest limbs, 206.6 deflection. Takes alittle muscle to cock with short sled. Long sled cuts pull in half. I actually just put some lighter limbs on it , still shooting right around 400fps. Highly recommend the bow.
I am still learning crossbows. What are 206.6 deflection limbs? That isn't the poundage correct....I thought 180 were the heaviest limbs. If you pull with the long rope cocker, do you have to be a taller guy to get that power stroke all the way back like the Nemesis?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I own 2 Aculeus. I have the 175 and the 460. The ATA uncocked is 19 9/16 on both of mine. I never chronographed them but they are fast. The 175 is set up with a Hawke Xb30 pro with speed dial maxed at 450fps with a 440 grain arrow. I am shooting Tapps from South Shore Archery with 100 grain Seat broadheads. Very accurate with those broadheads. 1/2" groups at 80 yards. Never shot further with broadheads. The 460 is set up with a Jack Plate and a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 shooting Phalan X from Vital Limits and same broadheads. Just as accurate. Have the fastest tape that comes with Jack Plate on it. Both my bows have Accudraw crank on them. It would have to be pulled back as far as my Ventilator Extreme which I use the short cocker on as with the long cocker I have to pull way up to my arm pits as I am not a tall guy. Love hunting with theese bows. I have a few Scorpryd and if I had to buy a bow now I would get an Acculeus. Not Seat Broadheads. Swat broadheads

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,753 Posts
I personally do not shoot either of my 2 Scorpyds with an arrow under 400grns. Just because they rate them with a 370 - 375gr arrow doesn't mean the limbs enjoy shooting them continuously! I like to find an equilibrium to where I still get substantially enough speed for the flattest possible trajectory and still absorbing enough of the energy to keep it from rebounding back into the cams through the limbs. I like a nice solid feel to the shot. To light and it could spell out disaster over the long run.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I shoot an arrow total weight of 428gr.i am getting right around 440 fps. With the 180 limbs. As mentioned before, look at used scorpyd's, the Aculeus is the only one I bought new, I have 3 others all bought used, excellent condition. People who are scorpyd lovers generally take great care of them.

·
2,312 Posts
I have the 110 lb Aculeus and absolutely love it. It is shooting approximately 360 fps with a 400 gr arrow. This is 2x more KE than any compound bow I have ever shot. With a well-placed shot, it will kill anything in N. America. Being only 110 lbs it is easy to hand cock in a stand. It is much quieter than the heavy pound bows. It is easier on components than heavy pound bows. It is much easier to get arrows out of foam targets than the heavy poundage bows. I know everyone loves speed, but if you are shooting ASA or hunting the 110 lb limbs are great IMHO.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 460 and 480 have same limbs 180 pounds. The 460 has Gen 6 cams. The 480 has Gen 7 cams. DO NOT SHOOT THE 460 With An Arrow under 400 grains.
I had read about the Gen 6 and Gen 7 cams. I assumed that was the difference between the 460 and 480fps. If the Gen 6 and gen 7 cams shoot the same fps what is the difference in the cams?

·
Registered
16,627 Posts
I had read about the Gen 6 and Gen 7 cams. I assumed that was the difference between the 460 and 480fps. If the Gen 6 and gen 7 cams shoot the same fps what is the difference in the cams?
Don't know for certain but I do know the Gen 7 cams have been beefed up from the Gen 6 cams to better withstand the higher pressures and maybe even a dry fire situation. I saw above that it says not to shoot a 370 grain arrow out of the Gen 6 cams. I think they installed the Gen 7 cams on the Aculeus so they can claim 480 fps same as the Nemesis. Both bows are rated at 460 fps using a 400 grain arrow. I would not personally shoot a 370 grain arrow out of either bow unless I was going to shoot only 1 or 2 shots to chronograph the speeds.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Apexer, I was recently doing the same research you are doing now. The Aculeus technology is not outdated or old by any means. I did not have a dealer anywhere close, so had to make a decision based on what I could find out from knowledgeable members here and at AT. I also spoke to the folks at Scorpyd. The guys here are very helpful and accurate with their information. I did get to look at a Nemesis, I ended up buying an Aculeus which came with 110 and 135 lbs limbs. The Aculeus is a great size for treestand hunting which is what I do. I can't say I noticed any real weight difference between the two, it would more depend on what you have installed on it. The two bows feel very much alike to me with the Nemesis just a little narrower. They both have a great trigger. I liked the first Aculeus so much I just purchased a second one (460 model) that was offered to me. I think most guys would want a crank cocker on the 460 whereas the 110 and 135 limbs are easier to hand cock. I looked at all other offerings at the shops in my area and IMO the Aculeus is the nicest crossbow I've ever held. The fit, finish, balance, trigger, and the ability to tailor it exactly to your shooting with the 110, 135, 160, and 180 lb limbs is a big plus to me. One other thing I would recommend to you is the Scorpyd grip quiver, check that out also great design.
I wish you the best on your decision, and good luck hunting with whichever you decide on.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apexer, I was recently doing the same research you are doing now. The Aculeus technology is not outdated or old by any means. I did not have a dealer anywhere close, so had to make a decision based on what I could find out from knowledgeable members here and at AT. I also spoke to the folks at Scorpyd. The guys here are very helpful and accurate with their information. I did get to look at a Nemesis, I ended up buying an Aculeus which came with 110 and 135 lbs limbs. The Aculeus is a great size for treestand hunting which is what I do. I can't say I noticed any real weight difference between the two, it would more depend on what you have installed on it. The two bows feel very much alike to me with the Nemesis just a little narrower. They both have a great trigger. I liked the first Aculeus so much I just purchased a second one (460 model) that was offered to me. I think most guys would want a crank cocker on the 460 whereas the 110 and 135 limbs are easier to hand cock. I looked at all other offerings at the shops in my area and IMO the Aculeus is the nicest crossbow I've ever held. The fit, finish, balance, trigger, and the ability to tailor it exactly to your shooting with the 110, 135, 160, and 180 lb limbs is a big plus to me. One other thing I would recommend to you is the Scorpyd grip quiver, check that out also great design.
I wish you the best on your decision, and good luck hunting with whichever you decide on.
Thanks, spending $1500-$2000 plus dollars is a huge decision for me. That is more than I have in any rifle I own with optics and I know I will be happy with them forever. Just want to make sure I make the correct decision.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.