Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Can someone post some pics of the differences in the 380 and 420 risers so I can see where Scorpyd beefed it up at? Thanks
It's not a noticeable difference because it's the way they mixed the carbon resin before they mold them. They added more hardener to the compound. Everything is still the same weight and size. It's just stronger now to be able to hold the higher poundage limbs or in this case the tighter ATA from the 130 pound limbs. Rex specifically warned me to never go twisting the cables up to bring the ATA in on my 380 to match the 420. The riser will shatter, he said. I do not doubt his word and I leave my ATA at 17 1/2" at all times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife stopped at the local archery shop and they offered her a Deathstalker 380 for $900. It's new but apparently they have had it for a year or two. Any input on this crossbow would be appreciated. Hard to find any reviews of this Xbow good or bad. Thanks in advance.
Depending on whats all included on the Bow It could be an excellent price. but for only $200 more you can get the Scorpyd 420 DeathStalker. Scorypd is a great line of Reverse crossbows. You can also find Reverse Bows like Tenpoint Stealth NXT for around 1100 & shelf models in the store I've seen as low as 1000 w/ acu-sled. Personally I am looking into upgrading too. BARNETT Step through riser Models & New Hyper series. Hypertac 410, HyperGhost 425 & 405. Traditional style crossbows. Though they released Barnett Hyperflite model this 2020. If you are looking for a reverse draw Crossbow for your wife between the 700-1000 dollar range. Look into Wicked Ridge RDX 400, Horton RDX, you can also find traditional style Barnetts that last year were close to 800 bucks and this year are ~500 like WHITE TAIL PRO STR 400FPS is dirt cheap. Scorpyd amnd RAV bows are topnotch & in the same price zone. If planning only to hunt medium game deer and elk. That should do the job. Want to hunt Bear I'd step up for 400fps+ minimum 140Ftlbs of Impact. I have been researching Xbows like crazy for some time now, plan to upgrade & buy a new one in the next two weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not a noticeable difference because it's the way they mixed the carbon resin before they mold them. They added more hardener to the compound. Everything is still the same weight and size. It's just stronger now to be able to hold the higher poundage limbs or in this case the tighter ATA from the 130 pound limbs. Rex specifically warned me to never go twisting the cables up to bring the ATA in on my 380 to match the 420. The riser will shatter, he said. I do not doubt his word and I leave my ATA at 17 1/2" at all times.
youtube it you will see it. Check out Barnett step through risers. I am gonna go shoot Predator and the new Hyperflite, HyperGhost, & hypertac models this week. But I am hoping to get a reverse draw with minimum 400fps and at least 140ftlbs of impact. The DeathStalker 420, Tenpoint Nitro NXT, Rav10, All of these are said to have same impact as a .45 caliber bullet. I know there is a guy who actually compares using ballistics gel and tubs of water. All top line reverse bows are worth the money if you can afford it of course. The RISER MAY SHATTER. IT won't definitely shatter, however depending on the care its given, it could maintain. you don't need to go all teh way to 420fps you could go to 400fps, without much risk of failure. I have a crappy Hand me down Barnett Jackal came with 315fps, 105ftlbs impact, & 150lb Draw from factory. Guy who owned before me Swaped strings out for 175lb draw. Still holds up great and have fired it over 20 times. However he definitely slightly bent the cams, but not enough to allow string or cable to slip, but he also upgraded cam pins & few other small changes. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The main reason I thought mine had 150# limbs was I took the scope off my DS 380 on which the speed dial was set on 370 fps and put it on my new DS 420 and ended up on a setting of 420 fps on the speed dial. I do not have a Chrono but I think I am getting at least 410 fps out of it and that is with a 407 grain arrow.
OK maybe you can help me. But Wouldn't a 400fps Bolt totaling 500Grains with Broadhead hunting tip, provide more stopping power. So wouldn't a 500gran bolt at 400fps do more damage than a less then 400 grain Bolt Traveling the same speed. Larger mass at the same speed should be more devastating no?

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
OK maybe you can help me. But Wouldn't a 400fps Bolt totaling 500Grains with Broadhead hunting tip, provide more stopping power. So wouldn't a 500gran bolt at 400fps do more damage than a less then 400 grain Bolt Traveling the same speed. Larger mass at the same speed should be more devastating no?
It might hit harder but stopping power? I sort of doubt that. Arrows fly straight through deer and other animals if hit right and blood loss is the major cause of death. I know you see guys shooting heavy arrows now but a pass through is a pass through. You want a sharp broadhead to cause heavy bleeding for certain but I usually shoot 100 grain broadheads on arrows weighing from 307 to 315 grains for a total of 407 to 415 grains. Going heavier really only makes a big difference in really big game (buffalo, elephants, etc). Once through a hog or deer or bear it only affects how far they bury up in the dirt IMO.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
youtube it you will see it. Check out Barnett step through risers. I am gonna go shoot Predator and the new Hyperflite, HyperGhost, & hypertac models this week. But I am hoping to get a reverse draw with minimum 400fps and at least 140ftlbs of impact. The DeathStalker 420, Tenpoint Nitro NXT, Rav10, All of these are said to have same impact as a .45 caliber bullet. I know there is a guy who actually compares using ballistics gel and tubs of water. All top line reverse bows are worth the money if you can afford it of course. The RISER MAY SHATTER. IT won't definitely shatter, however depending on the care its given, it could maintain. you don't need to go all teh way to 420fps you could go to 400fps, without much risk of failure. I have a crappy Hand me down Barnett Jackal came with 315fps, 105ftlbs impact, & 150lb Draw from factory. Guy who owned before me Swaped strings out for 175lb draw. Still holds up great and have fired it over 20 times. However he definitely slightly bent the cams, but not enough to allow string or cable to slip, but he also upgraded cam pins & few other small changes. Hope this helps...
I really don't need to go messing with my DS 380. It's plenty fast at factory specs. I leave the ATA alone... if I want to shoot a faster arrow I just grab my Nemesis 480, which, I actually let the ATA out a little wider by 3/16 to preserve the center serving and it's still shooting very fast.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts