Crossbow Nation banner

Scorpyd Maintenance questions...

6K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Tapp-Nation 
#1 ·
Well I have a new Aculeus at home on the bench. Got the scope and HHA mounted and I have on order a dozen spinal taps from Jerry, the extension for the HHA so the cocking sled will fit and a 600FPS Hurricane target bag. So I am going to be ready to do some shooting in the next week or two.

I read so many things about Scorpyd Maintenance while I was deciding what bow to buy that I am not sure exactly what I am to do or how often I should do it. I bought the Scorpyd Maintenance kit that has all the lubes.

About all I know for sure is that I am to wax the string but how often? Wax the center serving? I thought you weren't supposed to wax the serving but then read people weren't waxing the serving enough...Some people use rail snot on the rail and other people say you don't need to use rail lube.

If you have a Scorpyd or even better an Aculeus, what is your maintenance routine....

Thanks!

#3 ·
I only wax my strings when they start to look fuzzy on my DS 420. I wax my servings very lightly and rub the wax in very well as needed. Maybe once a month or so for me and I shoot a pretty good deal most of the time. I know some bows are fraying strings ( Nemesis 480) and I think this is why some use a lot of wax. It conceals the fraying.
My strings and cables still look new with well over 100 shots on them.

If I were you I would watch the strings and cables closely and wax as needed.

#4 ·
I do every 10 shots or so You can also lube arrows when shooting into foam targets with that speedy bow

Reactions: ApexerER
#5 ·
I wax every ten or fifteen shots. I use a piece of leather to heat up the string and make the wax sink in.
I do nothing with the rail.
I have about a Hundred and fifty shots on my Orion 175 extreme and about two hundred shots on my DS..... Both show minimum wear on the serving...

#6 ·
I'm using a DS 400. Lubricate the rail every 20 shots. Center serving I wax a little bit two times a month. It's a stronger wax. Rubbing with my fingers to sink in. String und cables get two times a month the same procedure with a softer wax.
After 300 shots I replaced my Center serving because of visible fraying. I think this issue was a result of too much Lubricate on the serving, so I switched to a stronger was.
After 700 shots serving looks much more better. Also strings and cables looks very good.

#7 ·
Sew has over 1100 shots on his Aculeus serving! Hopefully he will chime in here soon to share his tips!

Reactions: ApexerER
#9 ·
The only problem with asking questions like that is you get several different answers and more confused than when you started,LOL
A very light coat.
Don't wax serving ,just the rail.
Wax every 3 to 5 shots.
Wax every 10 to 15 shots.
Only wax when you see wear starting.
Rub wax in thoroughly.
And so on.......
My advice,get yourself an extra string and try what works for your set up,then you will know!!! It really depends on what YOUR shooting regime is......

#11 ·
I will tell you this , i wax my center serving maybe 3 times a year .
I do not use rail lube , i do wax my strings once a month .
I would start by waxing the string and waxing the center serving , then go shoot and keep an eye on it .
You will know when to apply more !!

#14 ·
There really is no science behind waxing strings. The wax is just to keep the string from drying out and shredding apart. It will waterproof it. It's the same thing as using Mink oil on your boots. Same principles....Its not going to give you better accuracy or a faster arrow. It will reduce wear, yes but, there's no secret formula. It's just whenever it looks like it could use it and its that simple or after you shoot it alot or out in the rain or a hot sunny day. It doesn't matter on the number of shots. But keep in mind that the serving needs to keep its bite into the string or it will start slipping and if wax gets in between that, then your going to have problems with serving seperation. That's why I always tell people to just glaze the serving and don't rub it in with heat because it still needs some wax to keep it moist without over saturating it. It's a delicate balance.

#20 ·
I'm not just making this up to just to say something here. This has happened to me before and if your not carefull, it will happen to your string also. I'm just trying to offer some insight. Take it for what it's worth to you. It's just common sense. If you ever slipped and fell on ice you will understand the reasoning behind what I'm trying to convey.

#15 · (Edited)
Sews Aculeus string was saturated with wax throughout serving and string and got 1100 shots with no wear or separation . Very confusing and contradicting advice to new people for sure. Lol. It seems servings are like bullets. What my rifle shoots sub moa, your same caliber may shoot 4 inch groups with my ammo!

#21 ·
Here is how i know when to wax my center serving .
While you are shooting or after you shoot ,look at the end of the barrel and right where the string is ,at rest , there will be a bunch of wax build up in front and behind the string on the top of barrel . you will get some build up there , but it should not be excessive . if it is excessive then you are a over waxer ,LOL.
Keep that area wiped down after every shooting session , eventually it will go away ( the build up ) slightly after it does then wax the serving again .
The end of the barrel is where the string moves back and forth after the shot and wax comes out of the serving in that area ,more than anywhere on the bow , so in wrapping this up , when the wax is not building there , then there is no wax on your serving . Wax it .
Make sense ?

#25 ·
Sews Aculeus string was saturated with wax throughout serving and string and got 1100 shots with no wear or separation . Very confusing and contradicting advice to new people for sure. Lol. It seems servings are like bullets. What my rifle shoots sub moa, your same caliber may shoot 4 inch groups with my ammo!
You are correct! When I took the old serving off it was very tight with no signs of even beginning to come loose. It was completely saturated with poly bowstring fluid and there was wax on the fibers.

If everyone took care of their center serving like sew there would be a lot less talk on forums about failed serving

#32 ·
DEATHSTALKER 380

380 FPS (Speeds based on 375gr arrow)
17 1/2" Axle to Axle Uncocked
10 3/4" Axle to Axle Cocked
32 1/2” Length
17 1/4” Powerstroke
6.2 LBS weight without accessories

There isnt any info on Scorpyds site for a deathstalker 400

NEW DEATHSTALKER 420

420 FPS (Speeds based on 370gr arrow)
16 1/2" Axle to Axle Uncocked
9 1/2" Axle to Axle Cocked
32 1/2” Length
17 1/4” Powerstroke
6.2 LBS weight without accessories

ACULEUS FEATURES

• Patented Reverse Draw Technology
  • New Kempf-Tec Sear Lock Trigger System (PATENTED)
  • 18 1/2″ Power Stroke
  • 12 7/8″ axle to axle when cocked
  • 34 1/2″ overall length without butt pad
  • 7.5# mass weight without

NEMESIS FEATURES

• Patented Reverse Draw Technology
  • Patented Inverted Cam Technology
  • Sear-LOC Trigger System(Patented)
  • Patent Pending Adjustable Trigger(Patented)
  • 15.9″ axle to axle uncocked
  • 8.9″ axle to axle cocked
  • 7.0# mass weight without accessories

#27 ·
I'm pretty sure it's 16 1/2" not sure about the distance of the timing holes from the limbs though...thats the main thing you want to make sure is correct and as long as the ATA is matched up with that your good to go...its okay to go wider but if it's narrower, reset everything !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.