Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
what Marty said and nice job , it will work just fine !!

·
Happy Member
5,555 Posts
I made one similar to this by Boo's instructions. I used a scale to see how tight the string will stretch, mine will stretch to 500 pounds if needed. I marked the bolt to show when I'm tightened into the 300 pound range.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I made one similar to this by Boo's instructions. I used a scale to see how tight the string will stretch, mine will stretch to 500 pounds if needed. I marked the bolt to show when I'm tightened into the 300 pound range.

Where did you buy your hook bolts from ? I get mine from the local Home Depot but those will start bending at around 400 pounds.

·
Happy Member
5,555 Posts
I ordered hardened steel from Ace and it took a few weeks to get them delivered. The hooks that I bought are rated to 2500 pounds. I also added a engine compression spring to the bolt that I tighten the string jig with. I knew regular hooks would bend Marty.

Reactions: samt and Martymig

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yes, using that spring helps tremendously with distributing the load placed on the hook bolts very well. You definitely need those hardened steel bolts. I havnt bent a bolt since I upgraded my system.

Reactions: samt

·
Happy Member
5,555 Posts
I only reserve my Flemish strings for my Excalibur bows. Just a hobby for me. I don't do it for anyone else. I'm not that confident. Lol

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
It helps to keep the threads oiled also.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Stack:

Looking good. Maybe you can do a photo from the side, so that I can see the hole and fixing point of your hooks? Thanks

·
Crossbow Nut
3,102 Posts
Apparently, it helps to have a can of your favorite brew too!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That can contains the "thread" lube Marty mentioned. :LOL:

·
1,702 Posts
Marty, take your hook and beat the first bend until it is straight as in the letter J as opposed to them being in the shape of a question mark.
My design does not allow for constant tension due to the lack of flex in a 2X4. To alleviate this, install a washer, then a die spring, then a washer. Instead of a nut, use a threaded rod joiner which is essentially a super long nut. Also use MoS2 on the threads. It is far better than oil, grease or any kind of anti seize.
20mm OD 20mm Long Heavy Load... 20mm OD 20mm Long Heavy Load Compression Mold Die Spring Green 10pcs, Leaf Springs - Amazon Canada

·
1,702 Posts
There’s a whole lot of frustration in not knowing so I figure I might as well show you guys the reshaping of the hook as well and how I extend the hooks for shorter strings and cables.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Marty, take your hook and beat the first bend until it is straight as in the letter J as opposed to them being in the shape of a question mark.
My design does not allow for constant tension due to the lack of flex in a 2X4. To alleviate this, install a washer, then a die spring, then a washer. Instead of a nut, use a threaded rod joiner which is essentially a super long nut. Also use MoS2 on the threads. It is far better than oil, grease or any kind of anti seize.
20mm OD 20mm Long Heavy Load... 20mm OD 20mm Long Heavy Load Compression Mold Die Spring Green 10pcs, Leaf Springs - Amazon Canada
I've got my system hooked up pretty good now Boo, thanks. I could've used that when I first started a couple years ago when I was using the BCY Micro string stretcher and I was bending hook bolts on a weekly basis. Since I've upgraded, I don't have this problem anymore. I can see how by straightening that bolt out would disperse the load better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts