Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The servings for my 340 mag are separating. What is the best serving material? I have 3 strings that need serving and another one starting to separate.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Stack if your having that much trouble with servings, I think you need to address your claws! If you are maintaining your string properly 500 shots should not be wearing the serving out.

As for what material,, Angel Majesty .036" diameter is I use on all my Excal strings.? But address whats causing the wear if your not getting near 500 shots on that serving!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already taken care of the claw issue. The problem is the serving is seperating not wearing out.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ah, it must be tight,, stretch as tight as possible, one guy here uses a comealong, but leather gloves to keep from cutting your hands and wrap it as tight as your jig will allow, I wrap mine to the point I think it's close to breaking, and AM is some strong stuff! But the tighter the better, and always wind it so when you twist the string to tshorten it, it will tighten your serving.

Boo had an excellent video teaching others how to serve an Excalibur serving, I'll see if I still have it,, excellent tutorial!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I serve all my strings for my longbows and recurved. It is the same thing get it tight. Just wasn’t sure what size serving to use on the crossbow string. I know it is thicker. Thanks for the info 😊

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No it is not the same thing! The Excalibur is going to put 4 times the poundage on that string, it doies matter, something I found when I went from vertical bows to crossbows,, tight needs to be extreeme for crossbow servings! If you havent watch this video, you should. Don knows his stuff! He is a master string builder for Excalibur strings. part one and part 2

I go one step further and serve 6" makes for less chance to seperate, and makes for a slightly quieter shot, with no real affect on speed! Good Luck, hope this helps.

·
1,692 Posts
If you are dealing with an endless loop string one thing that will help is to twist it’s if you’re lengthening your string before serving. Twists in a string go a long way in tightening up a serving.

Reactions: wildcatter

·
1,692 Posts
Thanks for the info. I need to make a jig and get some serving and get started.
Go to my website for an easy to build and cheap serving jig design.

Reactions: wildcatter

·
1,692 Posts
Look at my signature

1 - 13 of 13 Posts