Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like i remember reading about a new center serving. Thats supposed to be gooder :). But i can't remember what it was. And would i get the same size i have been using. I just use Moons and Flat nocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Here are a few suggestions especially if you are shooing arrows with 1/2 moon nocks.
1)illiminate the downward bow string pressure where the bow string humps up as it
crosses the rail-stock in the uncocked position. This is where shims come into play between
the top of the riser and the rail-stock.

2)using the serving design that the string builders use where the tag end is tucked under
neath and the last end is back served. These are for looks. How long does that stay before
one sees serving separation in the arrow latch area.

3)Adding a second layer of BCY .030 over the top of the original serving in the arrow
latch area but not quite as wide. This is a very high quality serving material that with
stands wear. If this serving eventually wears, there is still the base serving to protect the
bowstring.
Note: I am enclosing some pictures with the amount of shots on the bow string itself and
on my serving in the latch are. All serving ends have had a wee drop of Gorilla Glue added
for extra insurance against serving separation. Lubrication is with the Silicone Grease that is
available on the internet.
The factory serving has been removed and my own base serving added before the BCY .030
top layer.

The base serving is Brownell which I had from my earlier vertical days. Serving is installed
with two 1/2 knots, one on each side of the bow string. A tag end is left to hold with needle
nose vise grips with rubber hose on the tips to prevent damage to the bow string. The
finished end is done the same. Absolutely no back serving. I then take needle nose pliers
and grab the tag ends, rolling them tight around the needle nose pliers. Trim the tags off
and apply a wee dab of Gorilla glue. The top serving is installed a wee bit narrower than
the base serving. This allows for close monitoring and maybe add a wee dab of Gorilla
glue later.
The original bowstring was manufactured in Taiwan where the crossbow originated. Trial
and error has brought me to this point and am still shooting. 1)bowstring has 7421 shots.
The serving in the arrow latch area has 2112. These shot numbers are as of the end of
yesterday. The last few days I have been pushing hard to reach the 2000 mark on the
serving and shot 180 up to 214 arrows per day in several sessions.

All cocking is done with a crank cocking device and the crossbow is mounted in a high
quality rifle jig, so I do not have to remove the crossbow, cock it and then re install it.

The crossbow is a Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver advertised as shooting a 380 grain
arrow-point combination at 390 feet per second. I am shooting a 20" Blood Sport Witness
with a 100 grain point for and average of 428 grains at 369 feet per second.

You may notice the serving appears wet. It is as I shoot 12 arrows before removing them.
I then lightly lube the rail, bowstring, cables and the cable slide are.

One of the earlier tests, I had 1400 shots on the serving which the top later separated.
Removing it, I found the factory base later had separated which was the cause. I then
removed the base later and installed my own. All serving is installed as tight as possible.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
358 Posts
Here are a few suggestions especially if you are shooing arrows with 1/2 moon nocks.
1)illiminate the downward bow string pressure where the bow string humps up as it
crosses the rail-stock in the uncocked position. This is where shims come into play between
the top of the riser and the rail-stock.

2)using the serving design that the string builders use where the tag end is tucked under
neath and the last end is back served. These are for looks. How long does that stay before
one sees serving separation in the arrow latch area.

3)Adding a second layer of BCY .030 over the top of the original serving in the arrow
latch area but not quite as wide. This is a very high quality serving material that with
stands wear. If this serving eventually wears, there is still the base serving to protect the
bowstring.
Note: I am enclosing some pictures with the amount of shots on the bow string itself and
on my serving in the latch are. All serving ends have had a wee drop of Gorilla Glue added
for extra insurance against serving separation. Lubrication is with the Silicone Grease that is
available on the internet.
The factory serving has been removed and my own base serving added before the BCY .030
top layer.

The base serving is Brownell which I had from my earlier vertical days. Serving is installed
with two 1/2 knots, one on each side of the bow string. A tag end is left to hold with needle
nose vise grips with rubber hose on the tips to prevent damage to the bow string. The
finished end is done the same. Absolutely no back serving. I then take needle nose pliers
and grab the tag ends, rolling them tight around the needle nose pliers. Trim the tags off
and apply a wee dab of Gorilla glue. The top serving is installed a wee bit narrower than
the base serving. This allows for close monitoring and maybe add a wee dab of Gorilla
glue later.
The original bowstring was manufactured in Taiwan where the crossbow originated. Trial
and error has brought me to this point and am still shooting. 1)bowstring has 7421 shots.
The serving in the arrow latch area has 2112. These shot numbers are as of the end of
yesterday. The last few days I have been pushing hard to reach the 2000 mark on the
serving and shot 180 up to 214 arrows per day in several sessions.

All cocking is done with a crank cocking device and the crossbow is mounted in a high
quality rifle jig, so I do not have to remove the crossbow, cock it and then re install it.

The crossbow is a Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver advertised as shooting a 380 grain
arrow-point combination at 390 feet per second. I am shooting a 20" Blood Sport Witness
with a 100 grain point for and average of 428 grains at 369 feet per second.

You may notice the serving appears wet. It is as I shoot 12 arrows before removing them.
I then lightly lube the rail, bowstring, cables and the cable slide are.

One of the earlier tests, I had 1400 shots on the serving which the top later separated.
Removing it, I found the factory base later had separated which was the cause. I then
removed the base later and installed my own. All serving is installed as tight as possible.

Enjoy.
View attachment 196297 View attachment 196298 View attachment 196299 View attachment 196300
Man that’s a ton of shots and it looks good still

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
BR, what is the shooting tripod you are using? And what it holding your crossbow in the pictures?
Thank you
Thanks for inquiring.
It is a high quality rifle gun rest.. The label reads "Sharp Shooter HQ".
The fore arm of the crossbow is tapered. I have a tarp strap holding
the crossbow down. Being a lighter crossbow, it has lots of recoil which
if I did not have the front strapped down it would raise a bit throwing the
next shot higher.

I have another similar gun rest. The label reads "Inventive Technology".
Both these gun rests were purchased several years a go from the U.S.A.
These gun rests have levels on them so if my table was sitting on uneven
ground, I can level the gun rest side to side. I can adjust the front as well
as a tilt near the center.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Man that’s a ton of shots and it looks good still
The only problem with these crossbows is the limbs like
to surface sliver. I caught this one at the start and from
experience on a few others, I disassembled it and using
high quality electrical tape rated for cold and hot weather,
taped the limbs from near the cam to the edge of the limb
pockets. This tape stretches so I installed it very tight. At
the start, I turned the tape so my next wrap would over lap
the end so it could not come loose.
I believe this one started around a 1000 to 1500 shots. I
have been keeping a close eye on it and nothing has got worse.

Another crossbow, I was asked for a report. All was good at
the time with 320 shots. At 330, I got the slivers. My mistake
on this one was I tried gluing the slivers with out disassembling
the riser. Due to this the slivers did not fit back into place properly
due to the limbs being curved. Disassemble and the limbs flatten
out.
I could not properly repair this afterward due to glue in the sliver
cracks.

Take care.

·
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you giving the Kevlar a try r2 Joe?

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk
yes Its ordered not sure when it will get here and when i'll get around to serving my bows. I probably don't have to but i'd like to reserve the Excal before Turkey season.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Bunny, when you say... Serving is installed with two 1/2 knots, one on each side of the bow string..., are these two half-hitch knots?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Bunny, when you say... Serving is installed with two 1/2 knots, one on each side of the bow string..., are these two half-hitch knots?
As an example when one ties their shoe laces. I would take the laces and make that tie before making the bow tie.
I do one of these on each side of the bow string. In this case the one end would still be on the serving spool. The
other end is left as a tag so it can be really tightened with needle nose pliers later.
Sorry if it sounded confusing.
Take care

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
I ordered from south shore :). It's not my serving. Eric is running the show at south shore now,used to be Jerry. This will be my first time using this serving.
Is it the Kevlar serving now?
Thanks RT2bowhunter.
[EDIT] Oops, just noticed, yes it is.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
BR, what is the shooting tripod you are using? And what it holding your crossbow in the pictures?
Thank you
Thanks for inquiring.
It is a high quality rifle gun rest.. The label reads "Sharp Shooter HQ".
The fore arm of the crossbow is tapered. I have a tarp strap holding
the crossbow down. Being a lighter crossbow, it has lots of recoil which
if I did not have the front strapped down it would raise a bit throwing the
next shot higher.

I have another similar gun rest. The label reads "Inventive Technology".
Both these gun rests were purchased several years a go from the U.S.A.
These gun rests have levels on them so if my table was sitting on uneven
ground, I can level the gun rest side to side. I can adjust the front as well
as a tilt near the center.

Take care.
Looks like this one maybe?
Tactical Turret Gun Rest – Sharp Shooter Headquarters (sharpshooterhq.com)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts