Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased some Sevr 125gr broadheads for my Ravin R9 and Scorpyd Orion. Watched a bunch of positive reviews on You Tube so I thought I would give them a chance this year. Those of you who have used them in the field what has your experience been regarding POI, blood trail, ect? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Scorpyd Orion Ravin R9
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used the Rage Crossbow X the past 2 seasons and haven't had one deer go more than 50 yards (2 big bucks and probably 4 or 5 does). The Sevr heads were a bit cheaper and got good reviews so we will see.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have had good performance with the Sevr 125/150 2.0 versions. My biggest issue has been their rattling. Yes, I know you can bend the washer but that only helps for a short time. Sevr told me they have newer stiffer washers and sent me some but they are only marginally better. I had a thought and super glued two washers together and then assembled the BH. They are a little stiffer to open, but still should work fine and no rattle! Season opens on Saturday, so that will be my first arrow to test.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Killed 4 deer with Sevr last year. 2 with the same 2.0 (one blade set swap that I swapped blades again to use this year), and 2 with 1.5's. Gonna try 1.7's this year too. The big buck I shot the 1.5 went through the near side elbow joint, bottom of heart, and out the far side. Can see the blood pumping out on his 3rd stride:

This doe with the 2.0 had a monstrous entry and exit opening and did not run far.

·
Registered
TenPoint Turbo S1 / Burris Oracle X
2,111 Posts
I’ll be shooting the 1.7” AP Sevr heads this fall. See how it goes. I know they shoot accurately

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm using the robustos this year, but I'm curious why use the 1.7" heads? Is there that much difference than the 2.0"? Or is the reason, just because? I actually "get" the just because reasoning!
Doesn't make sense to me as the 1.7" has an aluminum ferrule and out of an xbow, there is more than enough KE, so penetration is not an issue. Heck, my biggest issue is locating the arrow another 50 yds away.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me as the 1.7" has an aluminum ferrule and out of an xbow, there is more than enough KE, so penetration is not an issue. Heck, my biggest issue is locating the arrow another 50 yds away.
I'm a little confused as to why Sevr markets the Robusto 150gr as a "crossbow" head as well. Other than Slick Trick making 150gr crossbow intended heads, and Excalibur for quite a few years was including 150gr field points with most of their bow kits....150gr isn't a typical crossbow head. If I were Sevr I would market the Robusto more toward the vertical bow heavy arrow, high FOC market.

Either way, all of Sevr's 4 main models are great heads. I am trying the 1.7's "just because" I want to see how they do, I like the SST chisel tip on them, and I got them at a great price and tend to go through quite a few broadheads every year. And I also don't think +/- 25 grains with a crossbow really changes penetration on a deer much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts