Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Fly exactly like your field points. The practice option is great. Big slice. Tough as nails. They ship and pack nice.

I had a 4" exit slice close on me with guts and left zero blood trail. Deer was dead in 80 yards. Needed to hire a dog tracker to find the deer. Hopefully, that was just a fluke, but I stopped using them after that.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have had good performance with the Sevr 125/150 2.0 versions. My biggest issue has been their rattling. Yes, I know you can bend the washer but that only helps for a short time. Sevr told me they have newer stiffer washers and sent me some but they are only marginally better. I had a thought and super glued two washers together and then assembled the BH. They are a little stiffer to open, but still should work fine and no rattle! Season opens on Saturday, so that will be my first arrow to test.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve always found after hundreds of bow kills, a 3/4 blade hole simply gives a better chance for blood to pour out and less of a chance of the hole getting plugged.

Rage, sevr and other two bladed heads will absolutely kill but they also have that chance of a mediocre blood trail and the hole plugging easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm using the robust this year, these reports give me confidence! But 4" cut, deer went 80yrds, hole closed with guts leaving no blood trail, and that's the broadheads fault?? What did I miss on that report?
The question was pros and cons. I shot a deer and there was no blood trail on a buck that ran into a swamp where you can’t see 3 feet. Probably would have been a great blood trail if the slice was more vertical, the body cavity was filled with blood. I thought he was broadside, but he was quartering a little toward me when the shot hit him. I was 16 ft up and the shot was 30 yards. It didn’t exit too far back or too low but back and low enough to clog. Big fricken horizontal slice low in the side clogged up instantly and completely somehow with guts. Lots of blood on the arrow but that was it. Hopefully never happens again to anyone. But that meets the definition of a “con” to me.

SevR s are great Broadheads. I put “pros” in my report too. But I haven’t had a blood trail issue with 4 blade mechanicals since I switched.

Here are pictures of the exit wound;
Natural material Working animal Wood Fawn Grass

Crocodile Jaw Organism Grass Crocodilia

·
Registered
130 Posts
We've had more than one person in our deer camp have the same issue. Unfortunately hunting is not always pretty. Just reminds us that one of the most important skill 0f a hunter is the ability to track. We have to hone this skill hoping to never have to use it. Over the years and can say I'm very blessed to hunt with men who realize it's our responsibility to be the best blood hounds we can be.

·
Registered
2021 Mission Sub-1 XR Vortex 3-12 56mm Scope with HHA Tetra
139 Posts
The question was pros and cons. I shot a deer and there was no blood trail on a buck that ran into a swamp where you can’t see 3 feet. Probably would have been a great blood trail if the slice was more vertical, the body cavity was filled with blood. I thought he was broadside, but he was quartering a little toward me when the shot hit him. I was 16 ft up and the shot was 30 yards. It didn’t exit too far back or too low but back and low enough to clog. Big fricken horizontal slice low in the side clogged up instantly and completely somehow with guts. Lots of blood on the arrow but that was it. Hopefully never happens again to anyone. But that meets the definition of a “con” to me.

SevR s are great Broadheads. I put “pros” in my report too. But I haven’t had a blood trail issue with 4 blade mechanicals since I switched.

Here are pictures of the exit wound;
View attachment 233008
View attachment 233009
Good blood trails are the result of a perfect entrance and exit wound. You get the best blood trail with a broadside shot when you enter the bottom 1/3 of deer's chest directly behind the leg and exit (from a tree stand) low behind the offside leg. This is the best location for the blood to escape the body. Just double lunging a deer doesn't necessarily produce a good blood trail. One thing I have learned after killing 393 archery animals is you can never count on an excellent blood trail no matter what BH you use- that is unless you can cut the animal in half.
That being said I use the Sevr 1.5 100 and 125 grain heads. I have killed 26 deer using this head and probably 1/3 of them produced only fair to poor blood trails. However, most of them only went 60 yards. If the holes are blocked the
blood can't escape. I like shooting the shot I described above, however, I also like to take the shot slightly quartering away which generally produces a poor exit wound when it comes out in front of the leg as the blood has difficulty exiting through that type of wound- you only get shoulder and leg blood not lung blood from that wound.
The features I like most about the head is the low profile which gives you a head that flies like a field tip and you practice with exactly the head you hunt with NOT a facsimile. I like the feature that a blade can collapse when it comes in contact with hard bone and springs back when it passes that bone. I can think of 2 occasions when it did exactly that and gave me a pass through that I may not have gotten without that feature. You can also replace the blades. I usually can get 2 or 3 kills per head by replacing blades. In terms of blood trails, IMO it is no less effective than any other head on the market. I have not given up on wanting a good blood trail, but I have accepted lesser blood trails that produce under 60 yards of tracking; many of which collapse in sight.

·
Registered
Mission Sub One Lite/Excalibur Assassin/Micro 380
1,861 Posts
I'm using the SEVR 2.0 (100 grain) out of my Sub One XR this season. I took an antlerless deer with it on early Saturday evening. Shot was less than perfect...I screwed up, but the broadhead did it's job and the deer only went approximately 65-70 yards before dropping. Blood was sparse at the beginning but picked up further down the trail. Have to say I'm happy with the performance of these heads so far.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I tend to shoot mid chest and don't get much blood until cavity fills up which is about when I find the deer 100yds away.

The two I shot last year were with Xmag chisle points, same thing. So for me it's more on placement vs what brand of broadhead I used.

This year I'll make a more conscious effort to aim lower and see if that shortens the tracking job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tend to shoot mid chest and don't get much blood until cavity fills up which is about when I find the deer 100yds away.

The two I shot last year were with Xmag chisle points, same thing. So for me it's more on placement vs what brand of broadhead I used.

This year I'll make a more conscious effort to aim lower and see if that shortens the tracking job.
I did the same thing on my first couple deer. Then my buddy told me aim lower and a little more forward and they’ll drop faster and easier to track as the blood will empty the cavity faster. Considering between him his brother and father tagging out for decades, I took the advice and he was right.
Edit: man after doing some math between the three of them over a century of experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts