Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shadow NXT that used to shoot a single arrow with same hole accuracy. This year though, I get a few shots that are same hole a 20 to 40 yards then it starts moving around.

At 20 yards, after a few shots same hole, I will be 2-3 inches left, then 2-3 inches high, the low , then low and high. It just keeps moving around. Same thing at 30 or 40 yards, but it opens up to 5-6 inch changes between shots at 40 yards.

It does this whether I shoot off sandbags or a sled. I have tried this with a number of different arrows. I have arrows from two well known builders and the single arrows are good if I shoot them on my back up bow.

I have used two different scopes that dont Have an issue on my back up.

I have also made sure everything is tightened on the bow and scopes.

After my first couple shots with the bow a couple months ago, after not shooting it since December, I put a new rope on my cocking sled. About three quarters up the first time cocking it, the knot went through the handle and cut the serving. So, I replaced the strings and cables with new GAS strings/cable. Otherwise no, changes to the bow.

Mechanically and outside of the shooter, what would cause a bow to shoot a few shots same hole, then start shooting the same arrow inconsistently like this?

Thanks for any insights,

John

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Check to see if anything is loose. I took my Stealth NXT in for a string change and the tech said the whole front end was loose. Also check the scope. Did you check the timing dots to see that limbs are in sync?

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check to see if anything is loose. I took my Stealth NXT in for a string change and the tech said the whole front end was loose. Also check the scope. Did you check the timing dots to see that limbs are in sync?
i checked everything I could find and made sure it was tight. The scope rail is tight.

The timing dots are not exact but are close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could a cam bearing be going bad or a weak limb? Still under warranty?
I have had it 4 1/2 years so still under warranty.

I went out and looked at the timing dots. It seems to have moved. On one side the limb is directly between the 2nd and third dot. On the other side, the limb is directly over the third dot. Is that enough to make it shoot shoot differently each shot?

thanks

·
Registered
17,117 Posts
Probably not. Shoot 1 arrow a few times and if it is all over put another scope on the bow and see if it is the scope. Usually when arrows start moving around it is a loose screw somewhere or a bad scope. With the timing dots barely off it might shoot a different POI but should do it every shot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried shooting just one arrow over and over to see if its flys the same each time.
Yes, i probbably didn’t clarify that well enough in the OP. I have used the same arrow for 20-30 shots then switched to another one for that many. I have used 5 different arrows all together but just one at a time for 20-30 shots.

I keep trying a different arrow but I am just running in circles at this point.

·
1,214 Posts
Sounds like a scope issue to me.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,173 Posts
You need to get it in time and make sure cams are level. Is your axle to axle the same after changing strings and cables?Is it where it should be? If narrower it could increase lbs and affect arrow spine.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Even if your cams are in time at rest, it's important to check them fully cocked. That's when limb issues will be heightened. Check the timing dots at full draw. It the timing is way off then the limbs are imbalanced in some fashion. I believe they are warrantied for life. Call TP and see what they say.
I know this because I had the same issue of arrow inconsistency. I took it to a tech, he adjusted the cams at rest but the accuracy was still bad. It was checked at full draw and the problem was evident. The cams could not be sync'd. I needed new limbs. It was not a TP bow though.

Reactions: JCAT

·
5,271 Posts
I agree, it, it sounds like a scope. If your timing dots are moving that’s not good. I would measure side of rail to axle, both sides, cocked and uncocked. That way you can see if you have a limb going bad. Recently had a bow I traded for go from 1/2 at 50 to about 2-2 1/2”. Trigger bolts had loosened up.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Here are a few suggestions which you may already have tried:
1)a level bubble on the scope or picatinny rail to see if one is tilting or canting the crossbow.
2)with the crossbow cocked, look down from a above where a cable crosses or a limb crosses the cam.
These should be identical.
3)with the crossbow cocked, measure from each axle to the nearest rail-stock edge. These measurements
should be equal or very close. One is checking for a weaker limb or a different limb deflection. The stronger
limb will pull the weaker one closer to the rail-stock.
4)If using a rope cocker, with the crossbow in the uncocked position, mark the bowstring on each side of the
rail-stock. Sometimes as one nears the fully cocked position, one may pull harder on one side which off sets
the bowstring in the arrow-latch area. When cocked, both marks should be equidistant from the center of
the arrow groove.
5)in the uncocked position, check to see if the bow string is 90 degrees to the rail-stock. If not where the riser
meets the rail-stock could be the problem.
6)with the crossbow blocked level, have a weighted string 10 feet or more in front of the crossbow. Look through
the scope and see if the vertical line or dots matches the vertical line of the string.
7)with the crossbow cocked and blocked level, put a level on each cam 90 degrees to the rail-stock. Both cams
should be level. Adjusting the "Y" end of the cables will make the necessary correction.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
It can be a scope, but you should eliminate the easier to detect issues first. I wouldn't want to be changing scopes around on just a hunch.

Reactions: JCAT

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I know you tried the arrows in the back up bow but is it possible the arrows have been shot so much the “degradation” that’s been mentioned on here before has happened?
Lots of solid advice here n definitely want to 2nd the measure each side from barrel to axle cocked and uncocked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts