Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys sharpening your TOTA’s? I love the idea, all steel, USA made, direct to consumer company. I want to jump on the train. But with the 4 blade design I also want sharp heads after practice, and reuse ETC. I know they make a sharpener, and I could be wrong. Just assuming….but it doesn’t appear that it would bring them back to “factory” sharpness. Stay sharp did make a system at one time for them. But it’s my understand he no longer does. Will TOTA Resharpen them for you, for a fee or whatever if sent back? I’m sure many of you have experience…thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a file floating around that can be 3d printed. It's basically a copy of their sharpener but uses 2 stone sets from amazon. The one tota sells only has 1 grit on it, kind of a medium which doesn't do the best job.

4 blade broadhead sharpener by Houghth

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P76CPL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I've been using on the XLs. I'm not very good at sharpening things, can easily outdo the factory edge though.

Stay sharp released a new sharpener for them that a lot of people returned because the quality wasn't there. Tota also is supposedly working on a new one with various grits.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Just a FYI. You guys can do what you want, or buy what you want. But the person that owns and operates staysharp is a very staunch anti crossbows' advocate. When Wisconsin was getting some traction with getting a crossbow season with pending bills in the State legislature, he was a frequent lobbyist against the crossbows. At the time, he was also a director and legislative liaison for the Wisconsin Bowhunters Assoc. The major organization fighting against crossbows.
Ironically, about the same time he had to part company with the bowhunters because of a game hunting violation. He still fights against crossbows, but keeps his name undercover.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The TOTA sharpener works fine and you can get them extremely sharp. The key is light to very light strokes after setting the blade angle and use honing oil.
Longbow, u mention setting Blade angle..these are Fixed angles on the One i got. And i found it easyer to hold the Broadhead by the Top blade between my Thumb and index finger while sharping...rather than being on the Arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Longbow, u mention setting Blade angle..these are Fixed angles on the One i got. And i found it easyer to hold the Broadhead by the Top blade between my Thumb and index finger while sharping...rather than being on the Arrow.
Yes, that's exactly how I hold it and sharpen. The other key is to count strokes and keep same four times each rotation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How are you guys sharpening your TOTA’s? I love the idea, all steel, USA made, direct to consumer company. I want to jump on the train. But with the 4 blade design I also want sharp heads after practice, and reuse ETC. I know they make a sharpener, and I could be wrong. Just assuming….but it doesn’t appear that it would bring them back to “factory” sharpness. Stay sharp did make a system at one time for them. But it’s my understand he no longer does. Will TOTA Resharpen them for you, for a fee or whatever if sent back? I’m sure many of you have experience…thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just purchased the tota sharpener from stay sharp. Once I got the hang of it which was pretty quick I got them razor sharp with a mirror finish.
Didn’t know that about the owner. Well I have some sharpeners from him oh well I guess when I need more stuff I’ll find a new source.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts