Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I have (4) Trigger Sticks - a mini and a regular Unipod, a bipod, a tripod. and a homemade kneepad that works really well in a stand.

I even got the upper joint from Steady Eddy from and made one from a telescoping ski pole.

Wood Font Gas Office supplies Auto part
Azure Road surface Grass Flooring Plant

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
In my Summit I hold the xbow but prop my elbow on the rail. If shooting behind me I prop against the tree to steady me. From my ladder stands I prop on the rails. I try my best to find SOMETHING to prop against to steady me up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My height really comes in handy when using a ladder stand with a shooting rail. My rails are all adjustable in height so they never get in the way. I can even step down with one foot on the top ladder rung to turn to the extreme left or right and still use the shooting rail. Hence, no need to ever shoot offhand and a narrow crossbow like my R10 is the cat's meow.
As far as hunting from the ground, I rarely do but when I do, I always use my Primos Polecat quick connect shooting sticks. Those suckers are awesome in my opinion and I use them exclusively for practicing with broadheads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My height really comes in handy when using a ladder stand with a shooting rail. My rails are all adjustable in height so they never get in the way. I can even step down with one foot on the top ladder rung to turn to the extreme left or right and still use the shooting rail. Hence, no need to ever shoot offhand and a narrow crossbow like my R10 is the cat's meow.
As far as hunting from the ground, I rarely do but when I do, I always use my Primos Polecat quick connect shooting sticks. Those suckers are awesome in my opinion and I use them exclusively for practicing with broadheads.

I have used the stand as a rest also, but sometimes I wish I could have something better. Just checking to see what everyone else is using.

chris

·
13,210 Posts
I put ... rails on all my treestands. Nothing steadier and nothing allows more field of fire coverage. In blinds I'll use a DOA shooting bench most of the time. If necessary I'll use a tripod but that turns into a clown show with deer moving around. Tilting, leaning, just a PITA.
Tire Vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle
Bicycle Water Plant Tire Bicycle tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Tree
Military camouflage Plant Glove Tree Automotive tire
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Machine gun

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Garmin Xero
1,681 Posts
One thing I’ve found when shooting traditional draw crossbows is they don’t like to be strangled with the offhand. My offhand serves as nothing but a platform to rest on. I tuck my left elbow tight against my side. With a reverse draw it’s a good idea to hold on tighter with the offhand as they recoil differently. The famed Wyvern explained “lurch”.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Recently bought a Ameristep 2 man chair blind. First Thu g I did was set it up and test to see how shooting stick work in it. Really well,stick takes up no room and maneuverable. I think lot of shooters here prefer a tripod setup.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
The rails on my ladder stands were too low so I cut two 1 X 4's and notched the top and bottom of them. The notches fits the railing and sits on the corners of the mesh wire floor. I cut them to the length to raise the rails to about chest high when I'm sitting. I have military style camo zip tied to the rails. If the deer I want to shoot comes in too close I can lay my arms and the crossbow over the rail to shoot almost straight down. Otherwise I lay the forearm of the crossbow directly on the rail to make the shot. With the 1 X 4's on the corners the rail is now rock solid.;):)

·
4,953 Posts
I practice free hand and shoot 3D, shoot with my elbows on legs, and have a shooting rail on one of my stands. Also use the Ready-Shot shooting stick. If the shot angle presented doesn’t allow it’s use, it can just hang from my wrist during the shot. Very versatile .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts